You are a "Nigger" and I am a "Cracker"

roger

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 08:43 pm
onyxelle wrote:
The words are recorded.

I think it's up to us to make sure our children and other future generations realize what's taken place. I am specifically doing that, and i make sure that my girls know what's up.

The effect of them still exists, and the words themselves will never go away, so I don't think there's a real necessity to bring them up just to say at random we don't need them in our society.

+1 On one forum, that's about as strong as agreement gets.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 09:05 pm
Coolwhip wrote:
The word Jew doesn't, at lest not to me, have the same negative meaning that it did during Nazi Germany.

What are you telling us?
0 Replies

pstewart

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 09:07 pm
I need to correct an error in my previous post. When I was a girl, the separate fountains and restrooms and pools did not say "negro" as I stated, but "colored," which was the newer and more acceptable word at the time. That one became offensive too, as Afro-American or black (forget the order) took over. Odd now, though, that Oprah etal are using "people of color," which is fine nowadays, though it's just a different way of saying "colored" ... which is not fine nowadays. See how silly it all is? Words can't have that much significance if the "evil" ones keep changing. No, it's just that people decide to be offended by one word and not by another. But it's foolish to care about any mere word, IMO.

As a child with eastern European ancestry, I was called a "hunky" and my Italian friend was called a "deigo" and of course there were more personal insults. I got "skinny ninny" while my friend got "fatso." All just words. Every ethnicity and race have had slurs directed at them. Children have been teased with meaningless insults in schools all over America. Most kids grow out of tossing around insults. Some never do. Those adults are still just insecure children, and I think most of us recognize that THEY are the ones who feel inferior when they resort to name calling and use "shocking" words.

I think people make WAY too much of words and not enough of substance. Actions matter. But words without action? No. I recall my mom telling me the old saw, "Sticks and stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me." This is true. Unless you LET the words cause you pain. Don't give power to a word. Don't give power to anyONE let alone anyTHING!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 09:11 pm
Some words are as powerful as bullets.
0 Replies

pstewart

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 09:12 pm
edgarblythe wrote:

Nice little catchphrase. Now explain exactly how and when that is true, please.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 09:14 pm
pstewart wrote:
I need to correct an error in my previous post. When I was a girl, the separate fountains and restrooms and pools did not say "negro" as I stated, but "colored," which was the newer and more acceptable word at the time.

Where were you living as a girl, that there were separate fountains and restrooms for blacks and whites?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 09:15 pm
pstewart wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

Nice little catchphrase. Now explain exactly how and when that is true, please.

You're not serious??
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 09:17 pm
I think this thread is superfluous and maybe even a bit self-aggrandizing "gee ain't I enlightened and tolerant". There have been at least half a dozen other threads that have dealt with the terms at issue (and others) in ways far more thought provoking and fresh. Why was this thread even started?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 09:17 pm
pstewart wrote:

As a child with eastern European ancestry, I was called a "hunky" ...

It's a well known fact in Chicago that Polish Americans have been called hunkies and those who are Polish-Bohemian are called
Bo-hunks. I don't recall anyone being offended, because everyone was too busy going to school or trying to earn a living.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 09:22 pm
pstewart wrote:
Miller wrote:
Why do I get the feeling you never lived during the Civil Rights movement?

I was in college during that time and saw him speak at our school.

You "saw him speak"...and who was this "HIM"?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 09:23 pm
Yo mama, you insipid drone.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 09:27 pm
pstewart wrote:
... Even in my own lifetime, "niggers" were prevented from buying homes in nice areas.

Where were these "nice areas"?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 09:29 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
It's an odd thing.

When I hear a white person refer to a black person as a 'nigger', I think that white person is a low class...

I've heard many a tenured professor in a major U.S. university call a black person a "nigger". This term is not restricted to the "low class", by any means.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 09:34 pm
So did these tenured professors call them niggers to their faces, or were these cowardly little gossip sessions with none of the referred-to parties present?

And what was your contribution to these pleasant little exchanges, or were you just an inconsequential observer?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 09:40 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I don't like these words to be posted, no matter the reason given. Please at least keep them out of the titles, so that I don't have to see them.

Good point, Edgar. How's Jean?
0 Replies

pstewart

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 09:42 pm
Miller wrote:
[Where were you living as a girl, that there were separate fountains and restrooms for blacks and whites?

Yes, and separate park service swimming pools, and sections in restaurants, etc. I lived in Pennsylvania near Pittsburgh and this was in the early fifties. It was the norm, even in northern states, before segregation was wiped out in the sixties.

The African Americans, people of color, blacks, or whatever word/phrase you prefer who are under the age of 40 most likely have no experience with the degree of prejudice that was built into society then. Nowadays you have equal opportunity in the job market, and in many cases where AA is active, even an advantage, may live in any neighborhood you can afford, just as I can, and may marry anyone regardless of race... soon, perhaps, even regardless of gender. Times have changed a lot!

If these folks who get all twisted out of shape over a single word could walk a mile in their grandma's shoes, maybe they'd appreciate how LITTLE prejudice and REAL racism folks encounter now compared to the forties and fifties. Your grandparents had to endure far more than nasty words, believe me! They lived every day under laws singling them out for inferior status and limited rights! And you dare to get upset about a w-o-r-d? You young folks don't know what real racial prejudice is, and you should be thankful that you don't have to experience it as so many others before you did.

I am 62, and I think that's why my posts aren't understood here. I think Miller and others here are really too young to grasp how much American society has changed, and improved. My god, with all the war and terrorism and annihilation of hundreds of thousands of innocent blacks in Darfur, if a w-o-r-d used as an insult by the occasional ignoramus is all you have to worry about, consider yourself blessed!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 09:48 pm
pstewart wrote:
Miller wrote:
[Where were you living as a girl, that there were separate fountains and restrooms for blacks and whites?

Yes, and separate park service swimming pools, and sections in restaurants, etc. I lived in Pennsylvania near Pittsburgh and this was in the early fifties. It was the norm, even in northern states, before segregation was wiped out in the sixties.

You lived in a small town near Pittsburgh that had separate restrooms for black and whites? And where else in the North,
did these separate but equal facilites exist in the North during the 1950s and 1960s?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 09:50 pm
Miller wrote:
pstewart wrote:
I need to correct an error in my previous post. When I was a girl, the separate fountains and restrooms and pools did not say "negro" as I stated, but "colored," which was the newer and more acceptable word at the time.

Where were you living as a girl, that there were separate fountains and restrooms for blacks and whites?

I'll answer for myself, Miller. The family moved from kansas to Orlando Florida in time for me to make the 5th grade. Later moved to Miami, and, oh, yes indeed. All of that, and much more. We had laundromats for white only. Equal facilities for colored on down the road, of course. Likewise, restaurants were equally segregated. I recall an exception in Miani. There was a string of little hamburger joints called Royal Castle, with an incredibly limited menu. Integrated to the extent that colored could eat there, and even had their own counter they could stand up to while eating.

It really seemed quite an odd arrangement, having moved in from the northern part of the country. I almost suspect that if you grew up there, it might seem perfectly normal.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 09:51 pm
pstewart wrote:
Miller wrote:

The African Americans, people of color, blacks, or whatever word/phrase you prefer who are under the age of 40 most likely have no experience with the degree of prejudice that was built into society then. Nowadays you have equal opportunity in the job market, and in many cases where AA is active, even an advantage, may live in any neighborhood you can afford, just as I can, and may marry anyone regardless of race... soon, perhaps, even regardless of gender. Times have changed a lot!

If these folks who get all twisted out of shape over a single word could walk a mile in their grandma's shoes, maybe they'd appreciate how LITTLE prejudice and REAL racism folks encounter now compared to the forties and fifties. Your grandparents had to endure far more than nasty words, believe me! They lived every day under laws singling them out for inferior status and limited rights! And you dare to get upset about a w-o-r-d? You young folks don't know what real racial prejudice is, and you should be thankful that you don't have to experience it as so many others before you did.

I am 62, and I think that's why my posts aren't understood here. I think Miller and others here are really too young to grasp how much American society has changed, and improved. My god, with all the war and terrorism and annihilation of hundreds of thousands of innocent blacks in Darfur, if a w-o-r-d used as an insult by the occasional ignoramus is all you have to worry about, consider yourself blessed!

Your age doesn't give you a special pass. I am older than you.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 09:58 pm
snood wrote:
Yo mama, you insipid drone.

Taking this off to the quotes thread...
0 Replies