The Government In Charge of Our Entire Health-Care System?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 11:07 am
We - I know, I know, McG: no one asked me - only 242 health insurances left, dealing with the mandatory health insurence.

All working there have made at least their 3-years-apprentionship, most got a BA.

They get payed according to the tariff - mostly similar to that of civil servants/employees in civil services, some closer to that in the private insurance industry.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 11:12 am
Well, Germany is not the only example.

Switzerland, for example, has a statutory health care system. People have to pay health insurance, but they can choose from 94 competing private health insurance companies.

(I'm not sure about what the number of health insurance companies is for the United States, but I might have read somewhere that there are about 40. Is that right?)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 11:13 am
[Did I tell you, oe, that I favour the Swiss model :wink: ]
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 11:17 am
[Psssst... Don't get McGentrix started on those bloody foreigners and their bloody health care systems. Nobody wants to know.]
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 11:21 am
http://i13.tinypic.com/4zmmas0.gif
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 11:34 am
ehBeth wrote:
okie, have you ever worked for an insurance company?

~~~

I've been working with and for insurers for 25 years now. It's about the money. That's it. That's all.

Thank you Beth. I was hoping someone would say this.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 11:35 am
old europe wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
I often wonder why so many doctors choose to go into specialty practices that emphasize elective surgery. You know plastic surgery, and the like.

Very few, if any insurance companies will cover elective surgery, yet those doctors do a nice, healthy practice. Is it because they care about the patients?

You said it: it's elective. If you don't have the money, you don't get plastic surgery. If you don't have the money to buy a car, you don't get a car.

But chances are you'll still need health care at one point in your life - even if you can't afford it.

Not really the point I was making. I was addressing the fact that many doctors specialize because that's where the money is. No dealing with insurance companies at all and they get a good paycheck as a result. There are far more doctors doing that now then 25 years ago and that could increase in the future thus creating a shortage of doctors willing to take insurance payments. Of course the interns will have to practice somewhere, right?

Quote:
McGentrix wrote:
I also wonder if people like ebrown want health insurance to not only be socialized, but mandatory?

What, exactly, do you mean by "socialized health insurance?" Is that the same as universal health care?

I didn't say "socialized health insurance", I asked "if people like ebrown want health insurance to not only be socialized, but mandatory?"

Do you believe insurance should be mandatory if we switch from a private carrier insurance system?

Quote:
McGentrix wrote:
Will people HAVE to sign up for health insurance whether they want it or not? Will rich people be stuck paying more taxes to make up for the poor who can not afford to be taxed to pay for nationalized health insurance?

Well, you're already facing that dilemma. People can go to the emergency room, without having paid into health insurance. The resulting costs will be charged to other people who do pay into health insurance.

There are two solutions to this problem:

- don't treat people who don't have health insurance/don't pay for treatment at all
- make everybody pay into health insurance in the first place

No, the cost is paid by tax payers, not by people who pay for insurance.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 11:41 am
Mame wrote:
Montana - answer this - what were you drinking tonight? Laughing

I was drinking Corona ;-)
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 11:59 am
McGentrix wrote:
old europe wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
I often wonder why so many doctors choose to go into specialty practices that emphasize elective surgery. You know plastic surgery, and the like.

Very few, if any insurance companies will cover elective surgery, yet those doctors do a nice, healthy practice. Is it because they care about the patients?

You said it: it's elective. If you don't have the money, you don't get plastic surgery. If you don't have the money to buy a car, you don't get a car.

But chances are you'll still need health care at one point in your life - even if you can't afford it.

Not really the point I was making. I was addressing the fact that many doctors specialize because that's where the money is. No dealing with insurance companies at all and they get a good paycheck as a result. There are far more doctors doing that now then 25 years ago and that could increase in the future thus creating a shortage of doctors willing to take insurance payments. Of course the interns will have to practice somewhere, right?

Well, I don't see what difference a private, a mandatory or a single payer system would make in regard to that situation.

You have doctors going into plastic surgery, thus creating a shortage in

- a private health insurance system
- a mandatory health insurance system
- a single payer health insurance system

McGentrix wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
McGentrix wrote:
I also wonder if people like ebrown want health insurance to not only be socialized, but mandatory?

What, exactly, do you mean by "socialized health insurance?" Is that the same as universal health care?

I didn't say "socialized health insurance", I asked "if people like ebrown want health insurance to not only be socialized, but mandatory?"

Do you believe insurance should be mandatory if we switch from a private carrier insurance system?

Eh? I didn't get the bit about a "health insurance" that would be "socialized". Never mind.

I think health care should be universal. Via the "people can't be sent away a the ER", you already have that. In a way.

The difference is: in a mandatory system, everybody would be paying for the right to have access to health care.

So there's something to be said for a mandatory system. Especially as the comparison with other, statutory systems shows that per capita costs are likely to go down - and in part because people won't wait until a condition becomes so bad that they have to go to the ER.

Quote:
Quote:
McGentrix wrote:
Will people HAVE to sign up for health insurance whether they want it or not? Will rich people be stuck paying more taxes to make up for the poor who can not afford to be taxed to pay for nationalized health insurance?

Well, you're already facing that dilemma. People can go to the emergency room, without having paid into health insurance. The resulting costs will be charged to other people who do pay into health insurance.

There are two solutions to this problem:

- don't treat people who don't have health insurance/don't pay for treatment at all
- make everybody pay into health insurance in the first place

No, the cost is paid by tax payers, not by people who pay for insurance.

So you have already socialized a part of the system?

But that doesn't change the dilemma. If you have health insurance and go to the emergency room, it's financed out of the money you paid into your health insurance. If somebody else without health insurance goes to the ER, it's financed out of the money you paid in taxes.

In comparison with a system where everybody has to pay insurance in the first place and everybody shares the risk, this doesn't seem to be particularly fair.

Of course, the other solution would be to deny treatment to people without insurance at the ER.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 01:51 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Okie,

One problem with your point of view is that everyone needs health insurance.

Everyone can have it. I think we need to reform what we have now, but I am not in favor of government controlled health care across the board. First of all, employers should not pay for insurance or health care. There is no reason to make this a responsibility of employers. By doing this, employers become more competitive with foreign manufacturers and other good things happen. Secondly, the people that can pay for health care through insurance can do it on their own, and for the people that are too poor, some kind of government assistance can be provided, which we already have, such as Medicaid. We just need to tweak the system. Most importantly, insurance needs to be portable from one job to another, and should be taken away from being the responsibility of employers. Also, very attractive tax breaks need to be provided. But we need to make the system market responsive. Tort reform is extremely important as well, which has been blocked by Democrats. No reason why a doctor should pay several hundred thousand per year in insurance premiums. This is simply passed onto the customer.

Quote:
In business there are "good" customers, and there are "bad" customers. You need to be very attentive to "good" customers... but customers who aren't so important to the business plan of the company can be ignored or dropped.

This is why in health care, we should be considered patients... not customers.

Customers are at a disadvantage when dealing with health insurance in several ways.

First, as soon as you get a long-term sickness you become a "bad" customer. This means that you are stuck with your current insurance provider (since no other company wants a sick "customer"). This also means that your insurance company doesn't need to treat you so well.

Second, when you are well... the insurance company is worried about making you "happy"... not about making you well. Everything they do will be about making more sales. This means that the popular decisions that will make a splash and look good in commercials will take place. This means that the things that they could do to improve general health... that don't look good on TV won't get done.

The best health care system will be run by people whose primary motivation is health-- not sales.

That is the nature of insurance. You have good homeowners and bad homeowners, people that live in floodplains and people that do not. Also good drivers and bad drivers. That is part of the issue here that is problematic, but can be accounted for. I admit some things are beyond choice, such as some health conditions, however, smoking is a choice, extreme obesity may be a choice. Anything that is a choice should be free game for insurance companies to discriminate. Those that are not should possibly be regulated by government. Insurance companies should only be able to discriminate against people in accord with those factors that are clearly related to choices by the individual.

An important point relative to this is the pressure to be better insurance customers can make us more responsible drivers, more responsible homeowners, and more responsible healthwise, if we see the financial benefits to doing so. That is another benefit of the free market system.

I have not spent full time studying this issue, but these are some general principles that I believe in, that should be studied and could be refined into a better and more workable policy.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 02:04 pm
old europe wrote:
okie wrote:
I think it does work better, but I think it can be improved, not by abandoning the current system, but by tweaking it.

What do you base your opinion on? Have you been looking at data comparing different models?

I base my opinion on the fact that most people I know are pretty happy with the health care that they receive in the current system. I have doctor and nurse friends and relatives that have communicated their opinions and experiences.

I am interested in your statistics, but unless you are comparing apples to apples, your data doesn't mean as much as you might want to believe, in my opinion. No two cultures, countries, or populations are alike, and lifespans and other disease statistics have alot more to do with many many things other than health care systems in and of themselves. There can be drastic differences in lifestyle and tendencies among different populations.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 02:26 pm
okie wrote:
First of all, employers should not pay for insurance or health care. There is no reason to make this a responsibility of employers. By doing this, employers become more competitive with foreign manufacturers and other good things happen.

How do you explain large manufacturers moving from the U.S. to Canada over the years? GM etc.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 02:30 pm
okie wrote:
First of all, employers should not pay for insurance or health care. There is no reason to make this a responsibility of employers. By doing this, employers become more competitive with foreign manufacturers and other good things happen.

"Other good things happen?" That's a bit vague. Shifting the responsibility completely to employees will mean that employers have to pay them more money in the first place. How will this make employers more competitive?

(Apart from that, I don't think it matters who ends up paying for health insurance. The money has to come from the employer, whether he pays for health insurance directly or indirectly.)

okie wrote:
Secondly, the people that can pay for health care through insurance can do it on their own, and for the people that are too poor, some kind of government assistance can be provided, which we already have, such as Medicaid.

So you think some kind of government involvement is justified? So you're saying that implementing a complete free market model for a health care system is not desirable?

Seems to completely contradict what you said before.

okie wrote:
Also, very attractive tax breaks need to be provided. But we need to make the system market responsive.

Because very attractive tax breaks are the conservatives' answer to every problem?

But, seriously - why?

okie wrote:
Tort reform is extremely important as well, which has been blocked by Democrats. No reason why a doctor should pay several hundred thousand per year in insurance premiums. This is simply passed onto the customer.

That's possibly right.

okie wrote:
An important point relative to this is the pressure to be better insurance customers can make us more responsible drivers, more responsible homeowners, and more responsible healthwise, if we see the financial benefits to doing so. That is another benefit of the free market system.

Would make sense.

But. The American system puts, arguably, the most pressure of any health care system in the industrialized world on the customer. You would think that, if your theory would show any effects, the US would have the healthiest population in the world.

In reality, the opposite is the case. In the United States, the obesity rate
among adults has been steadily increasing, and is the highest in all OECD countries (32.2% in 2004).

Now compare that with government intervention in another important sector: smoking. The US government has done a lot do reduce smoking, mostly through public awareness campaigns, advertising bans and increased taxation.

The result is that the percentage of smokers among adults has drastically decreased over the past twenty-five years, from 33.5% in 1980 to 16.9% in 2005. This is the lowest rate among OECD countries after Sweden. Remarkably, other countries, especially across Europe, are now following the US example, and numerous new laws that ban smoking in public institutions or restaurants have been introduced recently.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 03:01 pm
okie wrote:
I base my opinion on the fact that most people I know are pretty happy with the health care that they receive in the current system. I have doctor and nurse friends and relatives that have communicated their opinions and experiences.

Okay. That's fine, but looking at some data is probably helpful, too.

okie wrote:
I am interested in your statistics, but unless you are comparing apples to apples, your data doesn't mean as much as you might want to believe, in my opinion. No two cultures, countries, or populations are alike, and lifespans and other disease statistics have alot more to do with many many things other than health care systems in and of themselves. There can be drastic differences in lifestyle and tendencies among different populations.

Sure. I still believe that the WHO or the OECD are doing a good job in making the data comparable. But we can discuss any objections you might have.

I've already posted some graphs on how the US compare to other countries regarding the amount of money spent on health care, back in this post. It's a lot, isn't it?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 05:53 pm
okie wrote:
I am interested in your statistics, but unless you are comparing apples to apples

did you read the notes on how those statistics were developed? it's quite evident they're using apples and apples.

(this is the one time I wish littlek's sister posted at A2K, she's an expert in this area)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 05:59 pm
McGentrix wrote:
What will happen to the thousands of people currently working for insurance companies? Will they be out of work? Will the government jobs require a civil service exam to work customer service? Will they pay employees as much as private insurance companies do?

To begin with, the number of claims won't decrease if more health care coverage is available to more people.

~~~

In the very specific example of auto insurance, a couple of Canadian provinces went to government insurance some years ago - no job losses, 'grandfathering' re qualifications, and salaries are more than competitive.

While there did initially seem to be some stream-lining on the management side - the overall increased number of claims counterbalanced that effect.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 06:30 pm
Now I remember why I dropped by here.

from a blog linked through ForeignPolicy

Quote:
Guess who's training U.S. doctors?

Thu, 07/26/2007 - 12:47pm.

American students who dream of being doctors often must take out enormous loans to pay for medical school. But eight American students from low-income backgrounds recently got their medical degrees without having to spend a penny. Through a deal between Cuban President Fidel Castro and members of the U.S. Congressional Black Caucus, they received six-year scholarships to attend Havana's Latin American Medical School, which is recognized by the World Health Organization. Cuba paid for the students' schooling, accommodations, textbooks, and uniforms.

It's a clever twist on what FP editor Moisés Naím terms "rogue aid," but it's just the tip of the iceberg. Thousands of students from countries around the world attend the Latin American Medical School. Additionally, Cuba has sent tens of thousands of its doctors to developing countries over the years to provide medical assistance, writes Ignacio Ramonet in a recent FP debate with Carlos Alberto Montaner. The Cuban healthcare system was also recently cast in a positive light in Michael Moore's documentary Sicko, in which 9/11 rescue workers end up getting free medical care in Havana. (Though Moore's case for universal healthcare in the United States would probably have been stronger had he left Cuba out of the picture.)

Cuba's healthcare diplomacy reminds me of Hugo Chávez's efforts earlier this year to provide discounted heating oil to poor Americans, which haven't won the Venezuelan president any brownie points in the United States. Given how strong anti-Castro sentiment is here, it's doubtful Cuba's training of U.S. doctors will do much to win American hearts and minds, either.

whoodathunkit?

http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/node/5623?fpsrc=ealert070730
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 08:03 pm
Oh Lord! Medical school in Cuba?

Isn't this where all the rejects go?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 08:07 pm
McGentrix wrote:

They do care about patients, who have money and who want their medical services. As far as those without money... Exclamation
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2007 08:09 pm
Quote:
American students who dream of being doctors often must take out enormous loans to pay for medical school. But eight American students from low-income backgrounds recently got their medical degrees without having to spend a penny. Through a deal between Cuban President Fidel Castro and members of the U.S. Congressional Black Caucus, they received six-year scholarships to attend Havana's Latin American Medical School, which is recognized by the World Health Organization.

Apparently not-so-reject-y.

I'd have thought that Rush and the team would have been all over this - considering this particular group is six years in.

Interesting.
0 Replies