The Government In Charge of Our Entire Health-Care System?

old europe

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 07:58 pm
maporsche wrote:
WOW, She's thickheaded tonight isn't she.

No doubt Miller will be able to explain to you what you really meant...
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 07:58 pm
Quote:
OE said: "maporsche was asking for examples that the US were the "leader in medical progress.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 07:59 pm
Miller wrote:
OE said: "maporsche was asking for examples that the US were the "leader in medical progress.

Go back and read what has been posted. Seriously.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 07:59 pm
Miller, maybe this will clear it up. Here is your original quote, linked here.

Miller wrote:

In her statement, maporsche makes no mention of "universal health care". She does however, doubt that the United States of America played any significant role in medical history.

OE pointed out that asking for examples where America was the leader in medical breakthroughs does not equal doubting "any significant role in medical history."

Do you get it yet?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 08:07 pm
<shrugs>

As far as I can see it, Miller has avoided any substantial discussion on the issue. No constructive contribution, apart from spamming the thread with pages of irrelevant posts and quibbling about single words.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 09:06 pm
Miller wrote:
old europe wrote:

No. maporsche was asking for examples that the US were the "leader in medical progress."

Well now was maporsche asking for examples that the US was the leader in medical progress or not??

This is what you said, old europa...
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 09:07 pm
Precisely.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 09:09 pm
Miller wrote:
Miller wrote:
old europe wrote:

No. maporsche was asking for examples that the US were the "leader in medical progress."

Well now was maporsche asking for examples that the US was the leader in medical progress or not??

This is what you said, old europa...

And that's why I listed some of the contributions made by American scientists and physicians to medical progress.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 09:10 pm
.... after misstating maporsche's position.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 09:22 pm
Is this the type of universal health care we should institute here in the U.S., oe?

"In my home country, Sweden, this has recently resulted in some perverse outcomes. Patients have been sent to veterinarians in order to cut waiting lists, since veterinarians are private and there are many. Many people go to neighboring countries for dental care, despite having paid taxes for the public system."
That quote from:
http://heartland.org/Article.cfm?artId=21701

Maybe going to ER is better than going to a vet, what do you think, oe?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 09:25 pm
okie wrote:
Is this the type of universal health care we should institute here in the U.S., oe?

"In my home country, Sweden, this has recently resulted in some perverse outcomes. Patients have been sent to veterinarians in order to cut waiting lists, since veterinarians are private and there are many. Many people go to neighboring countries for dental care, despite having paid taxes for the public system."
That quote from:

What sort of treatment are they seeking from the Vet?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 09:27 pm
old europe wrote:
<shrugs>

As far as I can see it, Miller has avoided any substantial discussion on the issue. No constructive contribution, apart from spamming the thread with pages of irrelevant posts and quibbling about single words.

If it stresses you so much, why not leave this thread?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 09:31 pm
okie wrote:

That quote from:

I don't know. I would have to read the full story.

Do you have a source for that, other than the snippet from the "Heartland Institute?" I'm somewhat reluctant to believe this based on one sentence on the website of an organisation whose

Quote:
mission is to discover, develop, and promote free-market solutions to social and economic problems. Such solutions include parental choice in education, choice and personal responsibility in health care, market-based approaches to environmental protection, privatization of public services, and deregulation in areas where property rights and markets do a better job than government bureaucracies.

When looking for the story on Google, I only found links to numerous rightwing websites, who all repeated the claim.

It would be nice to look at the full story.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 09:32 pm
Miller wrote:

I enjoy it. You seemed to be a bit freaked out, though.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 09:34 pm
Miller wrote:

Quote:

What sort of treatment are they seeking from the Vet?

I don't know, Miller. More info. needed.

But this last quote from the link I posted is the key to the whole issue:

"This is the difference between having something delivered in the free market or by a public monopoly. The free market should be embraced, not demonized, by anyone interested in improving health care."

That from:

Some things are so obvious that it is staring everyone in the face, and that is that the free market has improved quality and advancement in every kind of industry, and it has done so in medical care to a degree, and it could do alot more, so why would not any intelligent individual want to open it up more to market forces?

Same with public education.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 09:35 pm
okie wrote:

That quote from:
"http://heartland.org/Article.cfm?artId=21701

From this excellent article:
"American health care consumes twice as much gross domestic product (GDP) per person as in the average Western European country, while GDP per person is some 35 percent higher. Many claim this reflects the American system's extreme wastefulness, but it may actually reflect the high quality of U.S. health care--and much higher wages for health care staff. European health care employees are a low-wage group, which can deter higher-quality candidates".

Low wages in the U.S. will deter many a bright person from entering Medicine.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 09:36 pm
okie wrote:
and it has done so in medical care to a degree, and it could do alot more, so why would not any intelligent individual want to open it up more to market forces?

And our military.....?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 09:37 pm
old europe wrote:
Miller wrote:

I enjoy it. You seemed to be a bit freaked out, though.

Nothing freaks me out...
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 09:38 pm
okie wrote:
I don't know, Miller. More info. needed.

You don't know, but that doesn't stop you from drawing a conclusion, okie?

What do you base your opinion on?

okie wrote:
But this last quote from the link I posted is the key to the whole issue:

"This is the difference between having something delivered in the free market or by a public monopoly. The free market should be embraced, not demonized, by anyone interested in improving health care."

Yes, that's the ideology. But is it true? How can we decide without knowing the details of the story?

And why would you agree with the author without knowing what he is talking about? Do you think you can look at the facts objectively, or would you say you're so biased you would draw a conclusion without looking at the facts?

okie wrote:

Off topic.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 09:39 pm
maporsche wrote:
okie wrote:
and it has done so in medical care to a degree, and it could do alot more, so why would not any intelligent individual want to open it up more to market forces?

And our military.....?

The military is about the only main function that the government is intended to do, according to the constitution.
0 Replies