Only Two GOP'ers Have Agreed to YouTube Debate

snood

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 10:53 am
So, is this another case of "We won't waste time talking to people who won't vote for us"?

Or is it more a case of "We are scared shitless by a more spontaneous format where we might be asked things we aren't willing to talk about"?

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2007/07/26/but_dont_ask_him_on_youtube_1.html#more
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,121 • Replies: 59
No top replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 10:57 am
Giuliani can't face questions from the NYFD. No way. They would eat his lunch.

From a comment on Josh Marshall's blog:

Quote:
One of the thoughts that occurred to me with regards to the Democratic Youtube debate was how weird the questions for the GOP candidates could potentially be. For the Democratic debates, most of the issues that are on the table are pretty mainstream, like healthcare and Iraq and poverty and global warming, and thus its pretty difficult for the standard rank-and-file member of the democratic base to ask them in an amusing viral format like Youtube and still come out as looking too bizarre (unless they happen to be a talking snowman). As far as issues like illegal immigration and "coercive interrogation techniques" go, how does one ask questions like this in a Youtube format in an amusing way? The differences between the GOP base and the political mainstream can seem less extreme when asked by someone like Wolf Blitzer, but if presented from the standard GOP rank-and-file member of the base, it seemed like a great way to show how unhinged the GOP has become on some of these issues. Personally, I'm surprised the GOP ever got close to agreeing to this format, and once the Democratic debate happened and showed the format in action, I didn't see how it could have been pulled off by the GOP.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 12:56 pm
The two who have agreed basically have the most to gain and the least to lose.

Some want to avoid certain questions for sure.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 02:35 pm
(A lower middle class residential area in Brooklyn...camera picks up, from behind, three black kids walking along...their shoulder movementsweave slightly and increasingly in tandem...view switches to in front of them and it becomes clear they are doing something musical...the one in the middle, Leroy, begins singinig)

"Leroy, T and Rubin
U-tubin
thinkin 'bout sacrifice
lookin for your advice
(all)
give it up
we know your're gonna
give it up
you're just the boys to
give it up
ain't ain't ain't cha

(T takes over)
Harvard, Yale or Brandeis? (and as they walk past an evident drug deal where white kids in an Audi are buying from a black kid on the street)
Small business merchandise?
Politico or looter?
Bahgdad recruiter?
"Have it made
in the shade
signup bonus Escalade!"

(all)
give it up
come on fellas
give it up
you're just the boys to
give it up
ain't cha ain't cha ain't cha

(Rubin's takes it as they pass some very attractive girls)
Talkin 'bout booty
cause it rhymes with duty
Fight in the polity?
For racial equality?
A warrior? A hero?
A Pat Tillman zero?
Do we do what he did
or do we do what you did?

give it up
come on give it up
you're just the boys to give it up
ain'tcha
0 Replies

HokieBird

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 03:41 pm
Re: Only Two GOP'ers Have Agreed to YouTube Debate
snood wrote:
So, is this another case of "We won't waste time talking to people who won't vote for us"?

Or is it more a case of "We are scared shitless by a more spontaneous format where we might be asked things we aren't willing to talk about"?

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2007/07/26/but_dont_ask_him_on_youtube_1.html#more

No. It's a case of the Democrats being scared shitless about debating on Fox where they might be asked things they aren't willing to talk about.

Hypocrites.

Quote:
In April, Edwards led the charge in refusing to participate in a Fox-sponsored debate. His deputy campaign manager, Jonathan Prince, told AP: "We believe there's just no reason for Democrats to give Fox a platform to advance the right-wing agenda while pretending they're objective."

Within days, Clinton followed suit. Unlike Edwards, Clinton did not directly attack Fox in announcing her decision.

"We're going to participate in the D.N.C. [Democratic National Committee]-sanctioned debates only. We've previously committed to participating in the South Carolina and Tavis Smiley debates," Clinton spokesman Phil Singer said. The Fox debate was not DNC-approved.

Obama joined in with Clinton. Bill Burton, Obama's spokesman, said a CNN-sponsored debate would be a more "appropriate venue."

But in her most recent filing at the FEC, Hillary Clinton reported two large donations from the very top of the Fox corporate structure.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2007/07/16/hillary-clinton-shuns-fox_n_56495.html
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 03:43 pm
Re: Only Two GOP'ers Have Agreed to YouTube Debate
HokieBird wrote:
snood wrote:

No. It's a case of the Democrats being scared shitless about debating on Fox where they might be asked things they aren't willing to talk about.

Hypocrites.

Quote:
In April, Edwards led the charge in refusing to participate in a Fox-sponsored debate. His deputy campaign manager, Jonathan Prince, told AP: "We believe there's just no reason for Democrats to give Fox a platform to advance the right-wing agenda while pretending they're objective."

Within days, Clinton followed suit. Unlike Edwards, Clinton did not directly attack Fox in announcing her decision.

"We're going to participate in the D.N.C. [Democratic National Committee]-sanctioned debates only. We've previously committed to participating in the South Carolina and Tavis Smiley debates," Clinton spokesman Phil Singer said. The Fox debate was not DNC-approved.

Obama joined in with Clinton. Bill Burton, Obama's spokesman, said a CNN-sponsored debate would be a more "appropriate venue."

But in her most recent filing at the FEC, Hillary Clinton reported two large donations from the very top of the Fox corporate structure.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2007/07/16/hillary-clinton-shuns-fox_n_56495.html

Bull crap. Why would the Dems go on Fox, the Republican channel?

Why throw ammo to your enemies?

You ought to face the fact that your leaders are too pussy to answer questions from actual folks. None of the Dems ran away from the tough questions they got...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 03:47 pm
From john cole:

Quote:
The GOP base, though, strikes me as another story. Look at John's post below - even among the mainstream every issue seems to bring an undercurrent of anger and violence. The idea of stringing up liberals, war critics, apostate Republicans as traitors seeps into every forum. They love torture, they hate civil rights and long ago the right's mainstream leaders declared the entire religion of Islam a free-fire zone. Better still, six years of holding government in a headlock has left these guys with a sense that they're entitled to say all this without apology or self-consciousness.

Letting through one or a few of Charles Johnson's true believers could put the GOP candidates in a mighty bind. Either reject the idea of nuking Tehran and lose the surprisingly large number of Republicans who think that is a smart idea, or horrify the rest of America. With hardline GOP policies polling behind Democrats across the board there are dozens of possible Sophie's Choices to make the candidates squirm.

The right wing cannot actually allow its' rogue members on TV to answer questions. The politicians would be torn between saying truly horrendous things, and losing the hardest-core voters.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 06:17 pm
HokieBird said
Quote:

I take this post as evidence that America is slowly making some sort of return in the direction of sanity. Not because any of the content is rational...it isn't...but because posts like this, "arguiing" something like this, are becoming increasingly rare here.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 06:18 pm
Sweet Jesus, if they can't stand up to an average Amerrican citizen questioning them about their policies, how well can they stand up to bin Laden and al queada?
0 Replies

HokieBird

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 06:35 pm
blatham wrote:
HokieBird said
Quote:

I take this post as evidence that America is slowly making some sort of return in the direction of sanity. Not because any of the content is rational...it isn't...but because posts like this, "arguiing" something like this, are becoming increasingly rare here.

Your liberal bias is showing.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 07:00 pm
HokieBird wrote:
blatham wrote:
HokieBird said
Quote:

Your liberal bias is showing.

Quite true. It is a well known fact that reality has a liberal bias.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 08:35 pm
If the GOP candidates do in fact bail on the People's Debate, we'll hear more of the excuses we've already gotten.
From Romney: "I think the presidency ought to be held at a higher level than having to answer questions from a snowman." No matter that, in the very same interview, he went on to defend the Manchester, New Hampshire, "Machine Gun Fundraiser" against critics: "We have to lighten up a bit as a society..."

And we will hear campaigns claim that the "YouTube audience" leans left. But that's simply not true. First of all, common sense should tell them that any audience of tens of millions of people is going to be similar to the general population. And as Michael Bassik has documented at TechPresident.com, research data shows that the YouTube audience is anything but partisan:

YouTube actually attracts more Republicans than Democrats. Specifically, there are 3.3 million self-identified Republicans on the user-generated video site versus 3.1 million Democrats. (An additional 5 million consider themselves independent.)

But there is hope for the GOP yet: Several young campaign, consultant and new media veterans have launched a site for the grassroots to drag the candidates back into the debate even if they come kicking and screaming: SaveTheDebate.com.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/zack-exley/campaign-like-its-1999_b_58136.html
0 Replies

HokieBird

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 09:11 pm
CNN staffers chose the questions for the Democratic YouTube debate and would do so for the Republican's debate. So it doesn't really matter which way the audience leans, I think we can all guess what types of questions would be picked.

The Democrats refused to debate on Fox News precisely for this reason, regardless of the lame excuses they offered up.

You can't have it both ways.

Partisan hypocrites.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 09:57 pm
Okay, oh fair, balanced and objective one, what would be a good venue for a debate?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 09:59 pm
Well, I seriously hope the main republican contenders aren't swayed by their younger members. Much better they continue to forward notions that they are cold, are disconnected from average folks, are ill-humored and elitist.

It's also exactly the correct decision for the dem candidates to refuse to validate Fox. The regular Fox audience, and HokieBird seems a perfect example, aren't going to be swayed in their voting patterns by anything some Dem might say. All that seems likely to influence them is continued demoralization from the incompetence and disasters that emanate from their heroes. Much better the network is ostracized and made to stand out as the unique propaganda operation that it is.
0 Replies

HokieBird

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 03:20 pm
snood wrote:
Okay, oh fair, balanced and objective one, what would be a good venue for a debate?

The GOP have already participated in debates on left-leaning CNN and MSNBC. However, if Fox News staffers were allowed to pick the video questions (just like the CNN staffers did for the Democrats) I think the candidates would have no problem participating.

Can you say the same for the democrats? Of course not. How would the left feel about Fox choosing the YouTube videos for Democrats? Answer: the Democrats won't appear on Fox in any venue, so complaints from them about cowardice are hypocritical.
0 Replies

HokieBird

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 03:28 pm
blatham wrote:
Well, I seriously hope the main republican contenders aren't swayed by their younger members. Much better they continue to forward notions that they are cold, are disconnected from average folks, are ill-humored and elitist.

It's also exactly the correct decision for the dem candidates to refuse to validate Fox. The regular Fox audience, and HokieBird seems a perfect example, aren't going to be swayed in their voting patterns by anything some Dem might say. All that seems likely to influence them is continued demoralization from the incompetence and disasters that emanate from their heroes. Much better the network is ostracized and made to stand out as the unique propaganda operation that it is.

Let me fix your second paragraph.

The regular Air America audience, and blatham seems a perfect example, aren't going to be swayed in their voting patterns by anything some Republican might say. Americans think CNN has a liberal bias by a margin of 33% to 16%. They also think that Fox News is more unbiased than CNN is unbiased. Even so, a majority of conservative bloggers think the GOP should not skip the CNN YouTube debate and are chastising Republicans who refuse to appear. Not so for the Left. You won't find any Democrats criticizing their candidates for refusing to appear on Fox and face the tough questions. That spells hypocrisy to me.

You also won't see any from the Left admitting to the liberal bias in the media. I remember a study that came out a few years ago in which the authors were expecting to find 'some' liberal bias in the media (drawn from voting patterns) but were astounded by the extent of liberal bias they 'actually' found. One point that stood out for me was their assertion that in order to get a balanced perspective, one would have to spend twice as much time watching Fox News as he or she spent reading the New York Times.

I don't see how you can vilify Fox News with a straight face knowing that CNN for years withheld and censored information about Saddam's rape rooms and torture chambers in order to skew opinion on the need to depose him or, if that's not enough, how about CBS having to give Dan Rather the boot for manufacturing 'news'? The fact that you ignore this and the fact that you continue to accept distorted news from such discredited information brokers says much about you.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 03:33 pm
Quote:
Americans think CNN has a liberal bias by a margin of 33% to 16%. They also think that Fox News is more unbiased than CNN is unbiased.

Provide your citation for these and I'll continue talking to you.
0 Replies

HokieBird

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 03:37 pm
blatham wrote:
Quote:
Americans think CNN has a liberal bias by a margin of 33% to 16%. They also think that Fox News is more unbiased than CNN is unbiased.

Provide your citation for these and I'll continue talking to you.

I already did. Pay attention and I'll continue talking to you.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2780304#2780304
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 04:02 pm
Thankyou.

I certainly don't "admit" that CNN has a liberal bias. I do admit that that poll had those results. Perception and truth aren't the same category.

Let me fix your second paragraph.

Quote:
The regular Air America audience, and blatham seems a perfect example,

well, I haven't listened to Air America in about one year and have visited their website once in that time. By way of contrast, I tune into Fox for some amount of time every day I watch any TV at all. Likewise, I am over at National Review at least once a week. That's just a small glimpse of how much I attend to as regards the rightwing media.
Quote:
aren't going to be swayed in their voting patterns by anything some Republican might say. Americans think CNN has a liberal bias by a margin of 33% to 16%. They also think that Fox News is more unbiased than CNN is unbiased. Even so, a majority of conservative bloggers think the GOP should not skip the CNN YouTube debate and are chastising Republicans who refuse to appear. Not so for the Left. You won't find any Democrats criticizing their candidates for refusing to appear on Fox and face the tough questions. That spells hypocrisy to me.

What tough questions? Could you write some up as examples?

Quote:
You also won't see any from the Left admitting to the liberal bias in the media. I remember a study that came out a few years ago in which the authors were expecting to find 'some' liberal bias in the media (drawn from voting patterns) but were astounded by the extent of liberal bias they 'actually' found. One point that stood out for me was their assertion that in order to get a balanced perspective, one would have to spend twice as much time watching Fox News as he or she spent reading the New York Times.

I'm pretty sure I know the "study" to which you refer. Michelson? one of the authors? What do you know about his (and his co-author's) background and his funding?

Quote:
I don't see how you can vilify Fox News with a straight face knowing that CNN for years withheld and censored information about Saddam's rape rooms and torture chambers in order to skew opinion on the need to depose him

citation?

Quote:
or, if that's not enough, how about CBS having to give Dan Rather the boot for manufacturing 'news'?

citation? And please, something reputable.
Quote:
The fact that you ignore this and the fact that you continue to accept distorted news from such discredited information brokers says much about you.

The chance that you've studied any of these issues anywhere close to the depth and breadth that I have is close to zero.

The chance that you attend to anything approximating what I attend to on a daily basis, from publications/sources right and left, from inside the US and from international sources is, again, close to zero.

But go ahead, provide your citations for the claims above.
0 Replies