Only Two GOP'ers Have Agreed to YouTube Debate

ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 08:32 pm
fishin wrote:
Rightly or wrongly, it is perceived as an outlet for teens and early 20-somethings to post goofy video clips making fools of themselves trying to emulate "America's Funniest Home Videos". That isn't the image the Rep candidates want to project to their primary voters.

The younger, urban and/or single voters that are more likely to see Youtube as fun or hip are going to vote in the Dem primaries.

ya made me start looking at this (as have the Neilsens and a few others)

Quote:
Majority of YouTube Audience is 35 to 64

Until now we've been operating under the misconception that YouTube's audience looks like Lonelygirl15. Just as the teen dream was unmasked as an actress performing in a scripted, if clever, work of fiction, eMarketer's just published study, Internet Video: Advertising Experiments and Exploding Content, reveals that
55 percent of YouTube's U.S. audience falls within the 35 to 64 age range, not exactly Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen. Even more surprising is that these viewers are affluent; 61.5 percent banked over $60,000 per annum. While this is bait for advertisers who are slowly shifting their ad dollars from broadcast to the Internet, it's bad news for television, which has seen this age demo running for the exits.
http://www.mediavillage.com/jmr/2006/11/30/jmr-11-30-06/

Quote:
Republican Presidential Candidates Gain Increased Visibility on YouTube in April, According to Nielsen//NetRatings
Wednesday June 13, 9:00 am ET

Social Media Web Sites Changing the Way the Public Consumes Politics

NEW YORK, NY--(MARKET WIRE)--Jun 13, 2007 -- Nielsen//NetRatings (NasdaqGM:NTRT - News), a global leader in Internet media and market research, announced today that YouTube videos about Republican presidential candidates accounted for 31 percent of all time spent at the site watching campaign-related videos in April, increasing 21 percentage points over March (see Table 1). Videos about Democratic candidates accounted for 69 percent of all time spent on campaign videos in April, decreasing 20 percentage points since March. Although Democrats are still dominating time spent on YouTube, Republicans are starting to make their online presence known.

http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/070613/0265509.html

On the flip (?) side,

Quote:
The Post article also notes that the leading Republican candidate New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani isn't likely to agree to participate in the September debate. Again, this isn't surprising. I lived in New York when Giuliani was mayor, and he's not exactly a touchy-feely guy who responds well to other people's opinions and feelings, which is what a lot of the YouTube election is about -- how voters feel and demonstrate those feelings on video about the issues.

Yet, these candidates could be making a serious mistake.

Ratings data show that the CNN/YouTube debate received the highest viewership level for the demographic between 18 and 34 since measurement level began in 1992 for a cable news debate.

Research released earlier this year by Harvard's Institute for Politics found that -- galvanized by the war -- this age group showed up at the polls in 2004 at extremely high levels.

As Carl Cannon, a writer for the inside-the-Beltway publication National Journal noted in a May edition of the magazine, "These young people are so little understood that many of the 2006 congressional campaigns ignored them utterly, although the candidates who did paid a price for their inattention."

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2007/07/republican-cand.html

~~~

Quote:
When you think about YouTube, you probably think young and liberal. Well, if you did, you'd be, um, wrong.

As the Republican presidential candidates mull decisions to pull out of the YouTube/CNN debate, we here at techPresident took a quick look at the demographic breakdown of the YouTube audience and found some very interesting data.

According to comScore, YouTube actually attracts more Republicans than Democrats. Specifically, there are 3.3 million self-identified Republicans on the user-generated video site versus 3.1 million Democrats. (An addition 5 million consider themselves independent.)

Digging a bit deeper, it seems like Democrats have a bit more free time on their hands. Whereas Republicans spend an average of 13 minutes on the site each time they visit, Democrats rack up an average of 20 minutes.

No matter which way you splice it, YouTube is clearly an important medium among Republican and Democratic voters and the perception that YouTube is a liberal haven simply isn't true.

http://www.techpresident.com/node/3992
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 09:32 pm
Beth, how dare you!

Don't you now that facts have a liberal bias?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 10:23 pm
kuvasz,
you de man
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 2 Aug, 2007 11:10 pm
Well done, bethie. You make me feel lazy. But I am.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 05:18 am
ehBeth wrote:
fishin wrote:
Rightly or wrongly, it is perceived as an outlet for teens and early 20-somethings to post goofy video clips making fools of themselves trying to emulate "America's Funniest Home Videos". That isn't the image the Rep candidates want to project to their primary voters.

The younger, urban and/or single voters that are more likely to see Youtube as fun or hip are going to vote in the Dem primaries.

ya made me start looking at this (as have the Neilsens and a few others)

Quote:
Majority of YouTube Audience is 35 to 64

Until now we've been operating under the misconception that YouTube's audience looks like Lonelygirl15. Just as the teen dream was unmasked as an actress performing in a scripted, if clever, work of fiction, eMarketer's just published study, Internet Video: Advertising Experiments and Exploding Content, reveals that
55 percent of YouTube's U.S. audience falls within the 35 to 64 age range, not exactly Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen. Even more surprising is that these viewers are affluent; 61.5 percent banked over $60,000 per annum. While this is bait for advertisers who are slowly shifting their ad dollars from broadcast to the Internet, it's bad news for television, which has seen this age demo running for the exits.
http://www.mediavillage.com/jmr/2006/11/30/jmr-11-30-06/

Quote:
Republican Presidential Candidates Gain Increased Visibility on YouTube in April, According to Nielsen//NetRatings
Wednesday June 13, 9:00 am ET

Social Media Web Sites Changing the Way the Public Consumes Politics

NEW YORK, NY--(MARKET WIRE)--Jun 13, 2007 -- Nielsen//NetRatings (NasdaqGM:NTRT - News), a global leader in Internet media and market research, announced today that YouTube videos about Republican presidential candidates accounted for 31 percent of all time spent at the site watching campaign-related videos in April, increasing 21 percentage points over March (see Table 1). Videos about Democratic candidates accounted for 69 percent of all time spent on campaign videos in April, decreasing 20 percentage points since March. Although Democrats are still dominating time spent on YouTube, Republicans are starting to make their online presence known.

http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/070613/0265509.html

I've looked at several of these and my problem with them is that they don't jive up with thie cliamed sources. For example, this claim of the 35-64 age group being the largest viewers. The numbers come from an iMarketing report:

Quote:
Nielsen//NetRatings says that nearly 55 percent of YouTube's U.S. visitors in May 2006 were ages 35 to 64, with an additional 19 percent in the 25- to-34 bracket.
http://www.imediaconnection.com/images/content/chart_emarketer_061117_1.jpg

http://www.imediaconnection.com/content/12474.asp

The reference for thier data is the Neilsen ratings for June 2006. I haven't found the Neilsen report that shows those sorts of numbers. The July 2006 (one month later) Neilsen report says:

Quote:
Key Demographics
Men are 20 percent more likely to visit YouTube than women, with unique audience composition indexes of 113 and 88, respectively (see Table 2). Visitors between 12-17 years old index the highest among the various age groups, at 142. They are nearly 1.5 times more likely than the average Web user to go to YouTube.
http://www.nielsen-netratings.com/pr/pr_060721_2.pdf

Additionally, that chart shows the survey numbers reflect 20,000,000+ unique U.S. visitors yet in August 2006 CNet News was reporting that YouTube was averaging 16,000,000 unique visitors/month in total.
http://news.com.com/2100-1026_3-6108971.html

Now there could have been a surge in June 2006 to get to the 20,000,000 mark but I find it hard to beleive that there was that large of a surge of unique visitors that were only from the U.S.. That Neilsen link I listed above says "YouTube was the fastest growing from January to June 2006, increasing 297 percent, from a monthly unique audience of 4.9 million to 19.6 million..." so if Neilsen is saying there were 19.6 million in June 2006 I don't know how iMedia got 20 million+ for their chart.

That same iMedia link also has a chart that shows that the majority of viewers are in the 35-64 age group but they only get there by showing the younger age groups with smaller spreads. If you total up the 2-34 age groiups the numbers come up with the 35-64 group as 47.9% of viewers and the 2-34 group as 47.4% - a virtual dead heat. (I don't know how 2 year olds get in there at all but... Razz )

http://www.imediaconnection.com/images/content/chart_emarketer_061117_2.jpg

The remaining chart on that page breaks down the age groups further:
http://www.imediaconnection.com/images/content/chart_emarketer_061117_3.jpg
This one reflects that the majority of the viewers from the 35-64 age group are at the lower end of that scale.

Your first link also states
Quote:
61.5 percent banked over $60,000 per annum.
but this charts shows the opposite. It shows 53% with incomes lower than $60K and 47% above.

Anyway, to me, what all of this shows is that there is a lot of confusion over the whole on-line video viewership (and/or the demographics are highly variable) and as I said, rightly or wrongly, I don't think they perceive it as a media outlet that targets their desired audience.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 06:07 am
Nice to see you again, fishin.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 06:15 am
blatham wrote:
Nice to see you again, fishin.

What? No pat on the back for posting facts??? Jeez! Now I feel bad. Razz
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 06:32 am
Everything I said to bethie, applies to you. Not the cute bum part, but everything else.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 06:54 am
Much ado about nothing.
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 07:19 am
Quote:
Finn de barking beagle wrote:

And here I thought a Kuvie/Finn detante might be possible. Silly me. How can Kuvie maintain his image as the Lefty Cruise Missle without countering Finn on an ad hominem basis?

Actually, you're slipping.

To suggest (as I did) that lesbians and animated snowman are hardly "average Americans," is a far far cry from asserting they are "too tough." (Whatever the hell that means).

But, clearly, logic and reason has no influence on the Kuvie rant. Instead, it's all about The Bile.

Partisan assasin---fine. There is certainly room within A2K for such characters. Trouble is that this is all shite, and if it were not, your flawed efforts at whacking someone on the Right would have left you stone cold dead. You're just not good enough.

..................................................................................................
Quote:

Oh dear, sounds like penis envy from you again young man, or is it yet another anguished cry from the sensitive Right Wing about their victimhood? Cry me a river. Your partisanship precedes you like the odor of a pile of horse excrement. A practicing whore crying rape wouldn't be funnier than you crying foul.

You can make all the loopy, hand-waving, tooth sucking excuses you want about your buddies but the fact remains, like George Bush before them the Republican candidates are congenital liars, whose bunkum could not bear critical examination from average American people, lesbians, albino dwarfs, and one-armed animators included. Yet, you lap up their mendacity like a dog licks up its own vomit and bark for more.

As you continue in your quest for public humiliation your own ad hominum and strawman arguments show an almost fanatical attachment and blind devotion to those who stimulate the worst in human nature, and perhaps where you see it proudly as the source of all your virtue and strength, I see it as delusional and dangerous to rational human beings.

If you want détente, grow a brain. I've given up on you having a soul.

A slightly different direction, I admit, but that comment from Kuvasz brings to mind all the republicans who have been exposed as being gay or pedophiles. Finn can barely post without mentioning lesbians/gays, & in this case an animated snowman..... like what the hay does that have to do with whether a candidate is or is not qualified for public office.

Hell, all you have to do it look at republicans for the most brazen of hypocrisy on that topic. George Bush and his dainty little hand waves as he slithers across the White House lawn is enough to cause one to gag. The pictures of him hugging Victor Ashe with that dreamy look on his face and the one with him stroking the back of Jeff Gannon's head will surely cause one to lose their breakfast.

The difference is that Democrats in general, believe that one's personal life is his personal life. Repugs on the other hand think that Democrat's lives are their business but a republican life is private! Shall I mention David Vitter and his diaper fetish? Gay boy Foley (pedophile)? Bob Livingston? Prissy George Bush? Family Values man Guiliana with an assortment of wives, including a cousin? And the list goes on and on and on and..... LMAO!

By the way Finn..... you got whacked pretty soldigly by Kuvasz. It's not his fault that you fail to see that he just gave you another good a**kicking.

Finn's screeching may indeed be about penis envy......... we're just not sure regarding whose penis or why.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 07:23 am
The deviants are going to try and make sure they don't get ignored again. But they will be.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 07:33 am
Re: Only Two GOP'ers Have Agreed to YouTube Debate
snood wrote:
So, is this another case of "We won't waste time talking to people who won't vote for us"?

Or is it more a case of "We are scared shitless by a more spontaneous format where we might be asked things we aren't willing to talk about"?

Neither explanation makes sense to me; I'm mystified by the Republican candidates' refusal.

For one thing, a fair share of political bloggers are conservatives. There is no reason for Republican candidates to expect a particularly hostile reception on the internet. And unlike the AACP, politically interested internet users include a good percentage of people who would vote Republican. So that can't be the explanation.

Your other explanation also doesn't work because the YouTube format is no more spontaneous than older formats were. In the olden days, CNN would have collected questions from a live audience, picked the ones they find interesting, and have the member of the audience ask them. Now CNN collects videos, picks the clips they find interesting, and broadcasts them. Where's the difference in spontaneity? Add to this that the YouTube format leaves no room for backup questions, and the hype about spontaneity deflates further.

I have no explanation for the Republican candidates' behavior.
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 07:39 am
Thomas wrote:
snood wrote:
So, is this another case of "We won't waste time talking to people who won't vote for us"?

Or is it more a case of "We are scared shitless by a more spontaneous format where we might be asked things we aren't willing to talk about"?

Neither explanation makes sense to me; I'm mystified by the Republican candidates' refusal.

For one thing, a fair share of political bloggers are conservatives. There is no reason for Republican candidates to expect a particularly hostile reception on the internet. And unlike the AACP, politically interested internet users include a good percentage of people who would vote Republican. So that can't be the explanation.

Your other explanation also doesn't work because the YouTube format is no more spontaneous than older formats were. In the olden days, CNN would have collected questions from a live audience, picked the ones they find interesting, and have the member of the audience ask them. Now CNN collects videos, picks the clips they find interesting, and broadcasts them. Where's the difference in spontaneity? Add to this that the YouTube format leaves no room for backup questions, and the hype about spontaneity deflates further.

I have no explanation for the Republican candidates' behavior.

It's very simple Thomas.

The Republicans are a bunch of lily-livered cowards.

By the way I found the You Tube debate to be just as boring as all the rest. No way are they going to select the good questions ...........like the ones about impeaching this gang of crooks.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 08:27 am
Magginkat wrote:
The Republicans are a bunch of lily-livered cowards.

Is that the same as "girlymen"?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 11:23 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

The notion that these UTube questions represent the voice of the people is ridiculous.

Why? They were submitted by people.

Your partisanship is showing, might want to adjust your skirt a little.

Cycloptichorn

I'm surprised I have to explain this to you (then again...), but the fact that they were submitted by people doesn't mean that the are representative of the collective notions of The People.

I don't know the exact number of the pool CNN had to choose from but it was, comparatively, tiny, and there is no reason to believe that people with the capability and desire to post videos on the internet are perfect examples of the average American Joe or Jane.

It was a clever stunt.That CNN, correctly, believed that they could generate a fair level of buzz by invoking the internet speaks to the growing importance of that medium, but certainly not that UTube is the medium of democracy.

It never ceases to amuse and gratify me when uber-tolerant, feminist Lefties such as yourself revert to form and attempt to ridicule your opponents with sophomoric taunts ("might want to adjust your skirt") that attempt to challenge their masculinity.

And y'all just keep on doing it! Thank you.

Theoretically, nothing can possibly represent 'the voice of the people.'

Strange theory.

Posing questions asked by people, but selected by CNN, is really no different then posing questions asked by CNN. But it does add another element to the equation, in that there are certain arguments which have more emotional impact coming from an actual citizen, who took his time to record a question, then they would coming out of the mouth of Blitzer or Cooper.

Essentially no, but by using selected UTube questions, CNN is trying to cast its questions as "the voice of the people." You bought it after all, and it's folks like you to whom they appeal.

Those who are unaffected by insult rarely bother to respond to them, Finn.

Wow, did you read that in Poor Richard's Almanac?

In truth, I wasn't unaffected by your attempted insult. I thought I made that clear. I was amused and gratified.

You aren't fooling anyone.

I'm not? What am I up to Cyclo?

And, who said I'm a feminist? I really think you sound like a whining little b*tch, and that's why I wrote what I did.

Clearly you're not (a feminist that is).

I have no doubt that you wrote what you did because you wanted to insult me...that's the point. When looking for a really good insult, you can (and will) always rely on some sophomoric barb that seeks to question your opponent's masculinity.

If I were of the opinion that blue-eyed people were the lowest of the lows, I would probably fashion my insults around the color of my opponents' eyes. Since you fashion your insults around gender and sexual orientation we can reasonably assume what you find the lowest of the low to be. Not really very tolerant of you Cyclo. Perhaps you're not a feminist but are you prepared to accept your identity as a mysogynist and homophobe?

Cool

Oooh, the bias of CNN, REVEAL IT, Republican candidates!!!! You guys crack me up.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2007 11:56 pm
kuvasz wrote:
Finn de barking beagle wrote:

And here I thought a Kuvie/Finn detante might be possible. Silly me. How can Kuvie maintain his image as the Lefty Cruise Missle without countering Finn on an ad hominem basis?

Actually, you're slipping.

To suggest (as I did) that lesbians and animated snowman are hardly "average Americans," is a far far cry from asserting they are "too tough." (Whatever the hell that means).

But, clearly, logic and reason has no influence on the Kuvie rant. Instead, it's all about The Bile.

Partisan assasin---fine. There is certainly room within A2K for such characters. Trouble is that this is all shite, and if it were not, your flawed efforts at whacking someone on the Right would have left you stone cold dead. You're just not good enough.

Oh dear, sounds like penis envy from you again young man, or is it yet another anguished cry from the sensitive Right Wing about their victimhood? Cry me a river. Your partisanship precedes you like the odor of a pile of horse excrement. A practicing whore crying rape wouldn't be funnier than you crying foul.

True Kuvie prose: a florid bouquet with a fetid aroma ( and add a generous spray of base sexual and/or scatological reference for the sake of Kuvazian art.)

You can make all the loopy, hand-waving, tooth sucking excuses you want about your buddies but the fact remains, like George Bush before them the Republican candidates are congenital liars, whose bunkum could not bear critical examination from average American people, lesbians, albino dwarfs, and one-armed animators included. Yet, you lap up their mendacity like a dog licks up its own vomit and bark for more.

As you continue in your quest for public humiliation your own ad hominum and strawman arguments show an almost fanatical attachment and blind devotion to those who stimulate the worst in human nature, and perhaps where you see it proudly as the source of all your virtue and strength, I see it as delusional and dangerous to rational human beings.

If you want détente, grow a brain. I've given up on you having a soul.

The smell of skunk cabbage permeates the cyber-room. Clearly I made a mistake and assumed, base upon a rare Kuvie fit of sanity, that you are capable of discourse. I'll not repeat that mistake.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 09:20 pm
Ode de-Finn

"We know him well
He cannot tell
Untrue or groundless tales,
He always tries
To utter lies
And everytime he fails"
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 12:38 am
kuvasz wrote:
Ode de-Finn

"We know him well
He cannot tell
He always tries
To utter lies
And everytime he fails"

I left off of this for a week or so with the expectation that returning to the scene once or twice might result in illumination.

Nope.

Just more of glib Kuvy.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 07:16 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
kuvasz wrote:
Ode de-Finn

"We know him well
He cannot tell
He always tries
To utter lies
And everytime he fails"

I left off of this for a week or so with the expectation that returning to the scene once or twice might result in illumination.

Nope.

Just more of glib Kuvy.

oh me, casting my pearls to swine again.

hey numbnuts, that's a lyric from Gilbert and Sullivan's, "The Mikado," and I waited an entire week too for you to recognize it.

even when I lay it on a silver platter for you all you do is try to bugger it.

Oh Finn, you are so damned funny. That's why I like you. You embarrass yourself more than I could in a month of posts and all I have to do is wind you up and pull your string and you act like Daffy Duck.

I mean, what is your overarching philosophy around here "hit me again, it feels good when you stop?"
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 11:42 am
update...they've realized that they really have to do this. Ought to be interesting though far less so if CNN does what they did with the dem debate and screens content to facilitate some goal they have.
0 Replies