Don 't Take $$ From Strangers ??

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 04:33 pm
Doowop wrote:
boomerang wrote:

Chai and I are the only ones who have really thought the whole incident was weird so I assume the "oh it's David" thing is directed at us.

Quote:
Maybe I don't get the nuance of the "David" thing, but I just want to stick my hand up and say that I also posted on this thread that this whole incident was weird.

In today's society, no matter how much I wanted to make a nice lad's day by giving him some unexpected money, there is no way in this world that I would do this without having made

some sort of introduction to his Ma and checking out if it was OK.

We don 't know whether he was alone.

Quote:

Even then I would feel weird doing it.
To simply stick my hand through a crowd and drop it on his lap is to my mind very strange behaviour, bordering on sinister.

What shud the child have DONE ?

0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 04:36 pm
The lad should have shouted at the top of his voice "Hey, some strange man has just given me money", I reckon.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 04:37 pm
Oops on me. You're right.

You are hereby inducted into the A2Kers who discriminate against David club.
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 04:39 pm
boomerang, what is it with the spelling? Is he Lithuanian or something?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 04:43 pm
As I said earlier in this thread,
he looked ( momentarily ) like a deer in the headlights.

By the time that he raised his eyes from the cash,
the strange man was already walking across the street,
in front of the bus.
The donor dropped the $$ on the boy, as he was leaving the bus.

I suppose the driver cud have stomped on the accelerator.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 04:48 pm
Yeah.
I 'm from the Lithuanian part of NYC.
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 04:50 pm
Why man, we could spend the next year working out what the lad, driver, ma, pa, the travelling salesman or the ticket inspector could've done.

It was a weird thing for an adult to do, plain and simple. If he'd done it to one of my kids, I'd have punched his lights out and answered questions later.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 04:52 pm
Doowop wrote:
The lad should have shouted at the top of his voice
"Hey, some strange man has just given me money", I reckon.

Sounds like a good idea;
this, in an effort to be congratulated ?
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 04:53 pm
This whole thread is scary in that we've reached a point where people are afraid to talk to kids for fear that it will be misconstrued. I talk to kids all the time regardless of whether their parents are nearby. No one has ever come up to me and grabbed their kid and pulled them away, or even given a hint to me that I was in the wrong. I talk to strangers everywhere I go. I think nothing of striking up a conversation with someone in line, in a store, at a club.....it doesn't occur to me to be standoffish. If someone smiles at me, I smile back.

The "oh, it's David" simply comes from his past posts regarding guns, kids and guns, adults and guns....and now this thread, where he talks of not speaking to anyone else unless there is a particular reason to have a discussion.

I guess we're just different kinds of people. I enjoy meeting new people and am always open to new friendships and conversations....even if it's only for the evening.

If someone dropped $5 on my son's lap, I would have thought 'huh, that was weird," and moved on. My son would've pocketed the money and probably thought the same thing. There are so many more interesting things about which to ponder.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 05:01 pm
Doowop wrote:

Doowop wrote:
Quote:
Why man, we could spend the next year working out what the
lad, driver, ma, pa, the travelling salesman or the ticket inspector could've done.

Yeah.
We 've already spent the last 13 pages doing that.

Quote:

It was a weird thing for an adult to do, plain and simple.

How about if a generous child had done it ?

Quote:

If he'd done it to one of my kids, I'd have punched his lights out and answered questions later.

RIGHT.
Tar n feathers r too good for him.

0 Replies

happycat

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 05:09 pm
Doowop - why would you have punched his lights out? for what reason???
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 05:11 pm
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Quote:

If he'd done it to one of my kids, I'd have punched his lights out and answered questions later.

RIGHT.
Tar n feathers r too good for him..

Don't get me wrong, David. I'm very much a pacifist and it would be a reflex reaction in this scenario. Some male strangers hand coming through the crowd and doing that to one of my kids? No way, pal.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 05:11 pm
I'm not afraid to talk to kids. Never said I was.

I am though, bright enough to err on the side of caution, and make sure that it meets with the approval of the parents.

see, that's another time it's happened....people showing common sense all of a sudden become "afraid to talk to children"

What I think is scary is people saying a stranger dropping money into a childs lap is "no big deal"

doowop....are you from england?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 05:19 pm
boomerang wrote:
I'm interested in this "oh it's David" bit. Two people on this thread have said "oh, it's David" to explain why people might think think this whole money drop thing is weird.

Chai and I are the only ones who have really thought the whole incident was weird so I assume the "oh it's David" thing is directed at us.

Nonsense, Boomerang. Been a whole bunch of us who's said it was weird behaviour. I also called it a social faux pas, and some other negative thing as well. There hasnt been much discussion on the observation that what the guy did was odd. The thing that you two found yourself in a minority on in this thread was on the question "what do you do about it".

A bunch of us have said that Chai's approach, for example, was an overreaction. That it wasnt ground for making a fuss, let alone calling the cops. Thats a different issue. So dont make it out to be like all of us who disagreed about alerting the driver, calling the cops etc therefore must just have thought that the guy's behaviour is normal and A-OK. Thats not what most of us have said.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 05:28 pm
happycat wrote:

Oh....My.....God.....

If you cannot imagine why a father would do that when a stranger handed his kid money without consulting him...there's just no way to ever make you understand.

Has no one ever hear the oft told advice "Don't take candy from strangers?"

If it wouldn't be such a horrible thing to relive, I'd like to hear what a parent of a child who been hurt by someone who did something that was "no big deal" would have to say. I would imagine if they could go back in time, whatever event lead up to their child being injured would certainly have been a big deal.
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 05:29 pm
happycat wrote:

You posted this as I answered why, but I'll try to explain.

It would be an instant decision or reaction, if you like. One second I'm sitting there on a bus, crowded with all types of people, minding my own business with my young lad sitting next to me.
The next instant some unknown adult male, who obviously thinks very differently to most other "normal" responsible adults who would never dream of doing such a thing, pushes his hand through the crowd and drops money into my lad's lap.
I don't know him from Adam, and for all I know, the weirdo may think that my lad is on his own, or seperated from his parent by a few seats due to the congestion.
My lad is suddenly put into a situation where he doesn't understand what is going on, and none of it is his own doing.

Maybe punching his lights out is a bit strong, but I'd certainly make a right fuss.

Like I say, it would be a case of a parent making a snap decision, owing to the utterly weird behaviour of an unknown adult towards their kid.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 05:30 pm
Chai, your advice, while good, was a bit confusing because of your sentence structure. I would suggest you calm down a bit, gather your thoughts, and type with resolve, aiming for clarity.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 05:32 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Chai, your advice, while good, was a bit confusing because of your sentence structure. I would suggest you calm down a bit, gather your thoughts, and type with resolve, aiming for clarity.

I know, I'm no longer able to communicate in the english language.
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 05:33 pm
Chai wrote:

doowop....are you from england?

Just about. Very Happy
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 05:33 pm
But you try. And that is all that is important to me.
0 Replies