Soda is bad for you, again.

Thomas

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 02:40 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Dag says "well, i have to die of something, i suppose."
I ask, but does it have to be of suicide?

No it doesn't have to. But your point does beg the question what you'd like to die of -- and why your way of dying is better than the alternatives.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 02:48 pm
PHOENIX, thanks much. I have a retired doctor friend who believes that sugar has gotten a bad rap. I'm more concerned with the diabetes connection than with the memory issue. Permutter may be like that Blaylock doctor who writes books scaring everyone so that they will depend on his iconoclasm for their protection.
I DO think, however, that my (and your) participation in A2K is very good for the preservation of our mental abilities. Everyday I have to write a small philosophical response to clever comments by philosophically astute members. THAT'S, I think, very nutritious for my mind. And fun as well.

----------------------------
By the way, CHUMLY, note the correction in my response to you above:

Chumly, I was just reacting to your comment that her dinner HOUR was the same as mine.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 02:51 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Chumly, I was just reacting to your comment that her dinner was the same as mine.
Daizey is my dog not my grandma although some may beg to differ.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 02:52 pm
Dag says "Everything good is a small suicide."
That's not too different from the French dictum that every orgasim is a small death (petite mort?).
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 02:53 pm
J.L. I never get on the bandwagon of anything. I like to think for myself (for as long as I can :wink: ). The thing is, that Pearlmutter makes a lot of sense. I am sure that the can of Coke will not make a person a blooming idiot. Over decades though, I think that the increase in the intake of processsed foods is going to have an adverse effect on all of us.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 02:55 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
all of us.
?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 02:56 pm
sure, all of us. if you're surrounded by blooming idiots, that will have an effect on you as well! Smile
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 02:56 pm
Phoenix, I feel the same about processed foods. I have a generalized mistrust of them for their long-term effects. I would never take you for a gullible sucker. You have a very sober and worldly mind.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 08:49 am
Chumly wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:
all of us.
?

Yes. All of us. Since I read the book, I have become a much more dedicated reader of labels. I was shocked to see that some of the most benign of victuals contains ingredients, that, over time, could cause cranial mischief.

Unless you are living on a farm, growing your own produce, raising your own meat, purifying your water, fishing from a lake that has been checked for purity, etc. etc. you too are prone to problems caused by toxins in the food and water supply.

Now I am not saying that we can eliminate all the bad stuff from our diets, or would we want to. The point is that we need to be aware of the dangers, in order to minimize the adverse effects that these substances have to our bodies.

For instance, for years I have sprinkled saccharin on my melon, and in my herbal tea. Last night I didn't. I think that I can get used to the less sweetness in my foods.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 09:01 am
JLNobody wrote:
Phoenix, I feel the same about processed foods. I have a generalized mistrust of them for their long-term effects. I would never take you for a gullible sucker. You have a very sober and worldly mind.

Twenty years ago, I was warned about aspartame from of all people, my gym instructor.

What I am finding, is that you really cannot get away from problem foods, no matter what you do. Some weeks ago, I found a new salad dressing. No carbs, no calories, no nothing. I was in hog heaven. Here was something that I could slather on my lettuce, with nary a bit of guilt.

It is touted as "calorie free, sugar free, gluten free, carb free, and cholesterol free". Great. But it DOES have, xanthan gum, propylene glycol, alginate, sodium benzoate, food color and sucralose.

Maybe I will have to live with a squeeze of lemon on my salads! Sad

P.S. I just looked up propylene glycol Shocked

Quote:
propylene glycol
n.
A colorless viscous hygroscopic liquid, CH3CHOHCH2OH, used in antifreeze solutions, in hydraulic fluids, and as a solvent.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 09:36 am
Quote:
propylene glycol

Of late, a method used by the wives of cheating husbands, to ease their spouses into certain death, for their sinful ways.
Cool
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 12:43 pm
As a two-time cancer survivor I'm getting very, very persnickety about all sorts of additives.

Watching uneaten organic bread (or organic bagels) grow mold is positively uplifting.

(Although I cut down on the ashes to ashes, dust to dust cycle by freezing a loaf of good greand and thawing just a few slices at a time.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 12:54 pm
Of course soda is bad for you. It's first two ingredients are carbonated water and high fructose corn syrup.
I don't drink it, and I nag my kids about drinking it - although they're old enough to make their own decisions.
I'm an iced tea drinker - lemon, no sugar.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 01:39 pm
Phoenix, wasn't the combination, xanthan gum, propylene glycol, alginate, sodium benzoate, and sucralose, the composition of the drink that generated Mr. Hyde?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 02:13 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Phoenix, wasn't the combination, xanthan gum, propylene glycol, alginate, sodium benzoate, and sucralose, the composition of the drink that generated Mr. Hyde?

Sure sounds like it. Egads, it is really scary about the crap that is put in food!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 02:43 pm
Phoenix and friends, I started a related topic, re salad dressing -

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=100642&highlight=
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 02:54 pm
happycat wrote:
Of course soda is bad for you. It's first two ingredients are carbonated water and high fructose corn syrup.

Except that diet sodas contain no high fructose corn syrup, and it's difficult to see how the carbonating makes any difference. How does that up to "of course soda is bad for you"?
0 Replies