Breakfast at 8 a.m.
Dinner (supper) 1 p.m. (Mexican style)
Snack 6 p.m.

Very rarely do we graze between meals.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 08:21 am
farmerman wrote:
I now mix Poland spring fizzy water with Grovestand orange tangerine juice and serve it over ice. Its like an Orangina butway more tasty.
My waistline has shrunk over the last year but its mostly because of the walking every damn day.

Thank you, thank you. You have given me a great idea. I have been addicted to Crystal Light, and saccharin. When I read of the study, I became very upset, as I am doing as you did, cutting portions, and walking 3+ miles most days. I was really appalled, because I thought that the Crystal Light was harmless.

I have just read, "The Better Brain Book" by Pearlmutter.

Link to Book

The author had a lot to say about both real and artificial sugars, and what they can do to the brain. I am concerned about keeping my brain healthy, and the book really pointed out to me that I was putting a lot of junk into my body.

I will take your advice.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 08:34 am
Yeah, soda is evil. I rarely drink it. Sozlet hated it for a good long while -- bothered her nose. Then she tried some root beer a few months ago and LOVED it. Argh. So now she asks for it whenever we go out (I usually say no), but we never have any of it in the house.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 08:44 am
THAT Story on the 1200 pound guy was disgusting, i mean like HOLY mother..

How do you get that bad? i mean i have bad habits but, i mean, i have control! except for one LOL!

I mean , i was watching him, and it was disgusting, then i was like wow he IS that guy i see on T.V. i mean HE IS ACTUALLY LIVING IN THAT BODY!

i mean it hit me like a ton of fat, it was like holy **** man when you can barely walk ITS TIME TO STOP EATING LIKE A GARBAGE DISPOSAL.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 08:46 am
I remember reading/hearing that the body reacts the same way to artificial sweeteners as to the real stuff. Something about the chemical composition being similar enough.

I got on a kick for a while of drinking a couple of diet sodas a day, more on the weekends.
When I think of it, it was just being lazy. At work the fridge is always stocked with soda AND water, but for some reason the soda seemed easier to grab.

So, I invested in some Gyokuro loose green tea leaves, and make a ritual of heating the water to the proper temp, straining the leaves, enjoying the flavor, and it is more satisfying than soda...plus the other health benefits.

I drink soy milk too. If I want something fizzy, I take fizzy water and had a splash of pomegranite juice...that's not too sweet, but satisfies the soda criteria for me.

I'm sure a lot of people really do like soda....but I wonder how many just drink it out of habit, or really enjoy it?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 08:58 am
I love fizz.

Ginger ale, club soda, carbonated water.

Love it.

I can handle MY Appolinaris. The hamburgers always have a good selection of carbonated water - it was recommended somewhere along the line for mrs. h, and it worked brilliantly.

No fizz? I don't know that I could do it. But keep those artificial sweeteners away from me.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 09:02 am
Amigo wrote:
Soda good

what ^ him ^ said...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 09:21 am
<another Apollonaris fan here>
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 09:32 am
Chumly wrote:
1 p.m. dinner?

My grandmother always ate her biggest meal in the middle of the day too.

just something light in the evening.

I don't think I ever saw her snacking. Maybe something like figs if she did.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 09:44 am
The enamel on my teeth have worn away due to fizzy drinks( despite my brother drinking loads more than me and his teeth are fine) so Id say the yare bad for teeth, but some also have something in them called ASPARTAME which is a fake sugar, it can seriously effect you!!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 11:49 am
littlek wrote:
I'm curious about the study. Unless soda companies are adding other elements to their product, like cigarette manufacturers did, I can't see why both regular and diet sods would have similar effects unless you took into account lifestyle.

The studies are more bull-sh!t. People become fat, when they eat too much and don't excerise enough.
The so-called metabolic syndrome is the result of too much fat, too much carbohydrate, too much sitting in front of a giant TV eating potato chips drinking gallons of beer and never moving unless gliding to the kichen for re-fills.

Coke and Pepsi ( diet ) don't make you fat...
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 12:01 pm
It's all about moderation and, I believe, varying your food and drink so you get a good mix of nutrients and what-not.

Diet-anything is just pure bunk. There is nothing good, or better about diet-labelled food.

In every food and drink (including water ... contamination you know!) there are bad things. I think that portion control and mixing it up so you get a broad range of foods (e.g., meat, poultry, fish, veggies, fruits, etc.) is the best way to go. If I overthink it, I'll turn into yet another poor sap who worries and frets about everything I put into my gob!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 12:39 pm
Phoenix, what does Perlmutter say about the false sugar, Splenda?

Dag says "well, i have to die of something, i suppose."
I ask, but does it have to be of suicide?

Chumly, I trust your granma lived a long healthy life.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 01:01 pm
JLNobody wrote:

Chai sez...soy milk and green tea for the lot of ya....and some figs.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 01:04 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Chumly, I trust your grandma lived a long healthy life.
She did in fact, and she had a super sensitive stomach too. What lead did you consider my grandma's longevity?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 02:05 pm
Chumly, I was just reacting to your comment that her dinner was the same as mine.
My stomach is also delicate, lots of hyperacidity--been that way for the last 50 years, but it has not resulted in Barret's syndrome (precancerous condition of esophagous due to acid reflux). But I eat lots of onions, garlic, spices and chilis. They seem to have no bad effect on my stomach. And life without them would not be as good as it is now.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 02:16 pm
JLNobody wrote:

Chumly, I trust your granma lived a long healthy life.

Everything good is a small suicide.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 02:34 pm
Re: Soda is bad for you, again.
littlek wrote:
A new study shows that soda, diet or regular contribute to heart disease and diabetes. Drinking as little as one can per day can increase your risk of these diseases by 48%. 48%!!!!

That's not what the LA Times says. It says it "is associated with" these diseases. This distinction matters because soda-drinking isn't the only difference between people who drink soda and those who don't. To tease out of the data the actual impact of soda on health risks, you have to control for these other things.

The authors of the study knew this of course: That's why "[t]he authors tried to control for all those factors in the diet, but 'even after all that, we still found an increased risk,' he said. 'Maybe it is very difficult to adjust for lifestyle.'" Notice, however, that they don't quantify the risk they found after correcting for these other factors. It seems safe to bet it was underwhelming, or else the LA Times would have reported it.

littlek wrote:
Wowsa! Is this study going to be found to be flawed?

I'd have to read the study to answer it. But from reading the article, I'm getting the impression that the flaw is not the study itself, but in the LA Times's coverage of it. The most conspicuous points I'm gleaning in the article are the following three: (1) Impressive-looking but irreleveant correlations between drinking soda and suffering certain diseases. (2) A multiple regression of the data that controls for other features in which soda-drinkers and non-soda-drinkers difference. This regression, which would yield the relevant numbers, seems to show that soda does have a bad effect on your health, but the effect isn't impressive enough for the LA Times to report. (3) Careful wording by the LA Times that avoids saying anything outright false, but systematically misleads the unprepared reader into believing that the impressive numbers describe a causation, not a correlation.

I am not impressed by this article.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 02:36 pm
J.L.- Pearlmutter writes:

Quote:
"People often ask me if any form of sugar is better than another. Any form of sugar raises blood sugar levels, which can harm brain cells and in particular, cause memory problems. In this regard, the so-called natural sugars such as brown sugar or honey are no better than table sugar. Therefore you must tightly limit your intake of these sugars as well.

Aspartame
Corn Sugar
Dextrose
Fructose
Honey
Maple sugar
Maple syrup
Saccharin
Sucrilose
Sucrose

Splenda is sucrilose. He thinks that all this stuff is terrible for memory.

In addition, he considers aspartame, Hydrolyzed vegetable protein (found in processed foods, TV dinners, canned soups, etc. and MSG to be excitotoxins.

http://www.answers.com/excitotoxin?gwp=11&ver=2.1.1.521&method=3

Looks like if we want to keep our brains working, we are going to have to give up some of that stuff, and eat mostly fresh, unprocessed foods. He is very big on eating organic produce, although he says that a standard fruit can be eaten if the peel is taken off. (because of pesticide contamination)

As an aside, my husband has a lady friend who is 107 years old. She used to say that she never ate sugar. Her mind started slipping when she was 105. Not bad!
0 Replies