Soda is bad for you, again.

littlek

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 08:06 pm
I have long held that soda drinking is bad for your health. Disreguarded studies have linked the stuff to obesity, decrease in bone-density, tooth decay. Many people switched to diet sodas filled with even more chemicals.

A new study shows that soda, diet or regular contribute to heart disease and diabetes. Drinking as little as one can per day can increase your risk of these diseases by 48%. 48%!!!!

Quote:
Those who drank at least one soda per day also had:

-- a 31 percent greater risk of becoming obese;

-- a 30 percent higher risk of having a larger waist line;

-- a 25 percent higher risk of developing high blood triglycerides or high blood sugar;

-- a 32 percent greater risk of having low levels of good cholesterol;

-- a trend toward an increase risk of high blood pressure.

The percentages were the same whether a subject drank regular or diet soda.

Vasan said research has shown that people who drink sodas also tend to have a diet that is higher in calories, higher in saturated fats and trans-fats and lower in fiber. They also are more sedentary.

The authors tried to control for all those factors in the diet, but "even after all that, we still found an increased risk," he said. "Maybe it is very difficult to adjust for lifestyle." LA Times

Wowsa! Is this study going to be found to be flawed?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,139 • Replies: 56
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 08:35 pm
I now mix Poland spring fizzy water with Grovestand orange tangerine juice and serve it over ice. Its like an Orangina butway more tasty.
My waistline has shrunk over the last year but its mostly because of the walking every damn day.
After I quit drinking and until this past Fall I used to drink Stewarts Ginger Beer or cokes like 5 or 6 a day and I ballooned up and have had high blood pressure for which I medicate and have begun a weight loss by exercise /oatmeal every morning (Im getting tired of oatmeal but I must keep it up) program , and I dont eat anything after 8PM and never eat in the truck anymore.(My truck cab was beginning to look like a snack tray, anytime i drove to business Id always have a soda and a bag O chips (or three) I was up to about 230 pounds this past Christmas and Im just a little over 6 ft. I was getting fat.

I think youve hit on the point that sodas are only PART of a problem of a yuck diet in which soda washes down the cheeseburger, fries, and other **** foods. Cutting out the sodas is a discipline that flows down to other areas of eating.
Theres no reason in hell that , when we go to a fast food restaurant we have to ingest a pound of sugar coated meat .(Chinese restaurants are the worst for overloading you with crap food)

Posrtion controlling is a key, when did food portions start with LARge, then proveed to ENORMOUS, and the end up with LONG TON SIZE.
In the last few months Ive fdound that restaurants can give you a "Kids portion" and you save money and are really only easting the way I used to as a kid (when a serving of meat ws only as big a s a pack of cigarrettes and there were more veggies that my mom made me eat)

YEP soda is a mere symptom of the national slide to gluttony. Ill bet our per capita weight consumption of food and drink has expanded hewmongously since I was born (I was born in 1950).

This past weekend we were at a craft fair up here in Maine and the amount of really enormous people was startling. Reminded me of an old Twilight Zone or Outer Limits show called "To Serve Man"

Ive eevn cut down my usual craving for Grape Nuts Ice Cream (which is a treat only found in New England I think)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 08:37 pm
I dunno. It could be that people who drink soft drinks, or smoke, or whatever are disinclined to exercise. I don't know if you're taking my point or not, but it looks like all the symptoms are related to a sedentary lifestyle. Have any studies been done regarding more or less athletic, or at least active who do drink lots of sodas? As is, it's hard to tell which is the primary cause, or whether the several lifestyle options combine with one another.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 08:45 pm
Fman - I'm so glad you're taking control of your diet (and exercise). And that you are seeing improvements.

Roger, the article alludes to the point you're making. It's a valid one, in my opinion. But I still think sodas are evil. I'm not talking about seltzer, but the sodas with color and flavor.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 08:46 pm
They did a show about this Mexican guy who was 1200 pounds. He looked like Jabba the Hut for real. and he was always eating and slurping huge sodas. He hadnt been able to walk in about 7 years and was confined to a bed since 2003. They got him down to like 800 pounds and got him thinking about a normal life with a wife and kids. It was sad and a car wreck at the same time. I could only hear that Jabba voice talking in my mind as he was wolfing down pizza and tacos (He lived in Monterey).
What the hell is he gonna do when he loses all that weight and still has about 80 yards of flabby skin to deal with? Can they even give him a tuck? or will he have seams all over his body? Its obvious that, from his skin stretching out, his pores are like great big suction cups so that wont shrink down to normal.

I think I just made myself sick.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 08:48 pm
Geez, that last part belongs on my gross thread (extra flesh and suction cup pores.....).
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 09:01 pm
I rarely ever drink soda. I don't like carbonation. I will enoy beer or Red Bull on occasion but soda I drink maybe twice a year.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 09:12 pm
I like fizzy mineral water better than sodas now. Even the diet stuff is too sweet to me. I probably have less than a ten sodas a year. Used to have them more, back in north north, a way to wash down the terrible pizza from the place two doors down from our studio.

I'm waiting for the shoe to drop on mineral water. I squeeze lemon or orange or whatever fruit juice I have in the fridge into it sometimes.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 09:18 pm
I'm curious about the study. Unless soda companies are adding other elements to their product, like cigarette manufacturers did, I can't see why both regular and diet sods would have similar effects unless you took into account lifestyle.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 09:25 pm
Soda is a weak acid (HCO3-). Ican see therelationship between soda and osteoporosis. the soda, in sufficient concentration , could buffer itselfon available alkalis like calcium. Calcium comes from bone . Trouble is, fizzy waters are just as bad, Carbonated water has as much (or maybe more) carbonic acid as does Something like a coke.
Really intense carbonated waters like Spa Monople or Appolanaris are probably at the top of the list for dissolution of free "bone"

You cannot drink Appolonaris right out of the bottle (talkj about what a hillbilly I am ). Itll shoot out yer nose its so heavily carbonated.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 09:25 pm
littlek wrote:
I'm curious about the study. Unless soda companies are adding other elements to their product, like cigarette manufacturers did, I can't see why both regular and diet sods would have similar effects unless you took into account lifestyle.

Carbonation?

They said something about the carmel (coloring?) in the article. Hey, it's been a few hours since I read it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 09:28 pm
Hell, life'll kill ya. Don worry-be happy.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 09:37 pm
Fman - interestink! Earlier studies seemed to lean toward the composition of sodas like coke being bad for the bones, but to err on the side of something more obvious they said the osteoporosis could be from lack of calcium intake. People chose coke over milk. I don;t drink either milk or coke. Shrug.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 09:54 pm
tragic.

i love carbonated water. and soda, too. diet cherry coke is my new cocaine.

well, i have to die of something, i suppose.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 09:58 pm
I have super-sensitive stomach, so years ago I put myself on a super-duper ultra-clean ultra-bland super-simple diet. Just beans, fish, vegetables, fruits, rice & grains. No sweets, no alcohol, no dairy, no added sugars, no added fats, no spices. In essence the same as my dog Daizey eats. I get teased about it too!

No restaurant foods, no fast foods, no prepared foods. Pretty boring but I look great and feel zippy so it has its benefits!
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 10:02 pm
Soda good
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 10:08 pm
Perhaps we should trust the words of my chain-smoking, fat and pastry eating grandma who just passed away at 102. "Do whatever the hell you want and don't worry about it".
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 10:17 pm
Was there any word on, perhaps, rum cutting the ill effects of Coke?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 10:23 pm
NickFun wrote:
Perhaps we should trust the words of my chain-smoking, fat and pastry eating grandma who just passed away at 102. "Do whatever the hell you want and don't worry about it".

"Do whatever the hell you want and don't worry about it".

Sometimes I wonder if this really is the key. And we just don't understand the science of it.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 10:36 pm
"Do whatever the hell you want and don't worry about it"
Jabba the Hut

I drink two glasses of red wine with my 1 p.m. dinner and about two bottles of non-alcoholic beer later in the day. Oh, and soy milk with my morning oatmeal with berries a sliced banana, sliced apples, cantaloupe chunks, walnuts, ground flaxseed and wheat germ.

My problem is an addiction to crystallized ginger. Too much sugar. But it IS anti-inflammatory.
0 Replies