Why I hate Italians

Setanta

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 03:11 pm
That was a tour de force in francophobia . . . i'm left speechless.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 03:13 pm
Mame wrote:
Foofie wrote:
Like the U.S. did save that country (France) two times in the 20th century, and if they have gratitude, I can't compare it to the gratitude the Brits show the U.S.

Why is it I find this so offensive? Is it because there's a complete disregard for the other Allies who were in the war theatre long before the USA yet get no credit for their campaigns, their losses?

Talk about arrogant.

Sure there were other Allies. Did France show much gratitude to anyone?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 03:16 pm
Francis wrote:
Oh, yes! The previous century...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam_War_casualties#United_States_Armed_Forces

Vietnam was an ex-French colony. The U.S. lost a lot of service personnel trying to maintain the regime that existed from the times of the French colony (the military was Catholic; the peasants were Buddhist). Did I miss the thank-you for the U.S. effort?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 03:22 pm
The French were supposed the thank the U.S. for propping up a regime in Viet Nam which the French had never supported? A regime which came to power years after the French left? You have a seriously weird view of the real world. Just how are the French supposed to have demonstrated their "gratitude" to the United States for fighting the Germans twice? In neither case did the United States rush over to Europe to "rescue" France. We entered the Great War because of German submarine attacks. We entered the Second World War in Europe because the Germans declared war on us. In neither case was our stated nor implied object to liberate the French. The French were geographical victims of circumstance.

What makes you think the French are ungrateful? Because they wouldn't join the little **** in the White House when he invaded Iraq? What a bunch of horseshit.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 03:43 pm
Foofie wrote:
Mame wrote:
Foofie wrote:
Like the U.S. did save that country (France) two times in the 20th century, and if they have gratitude, I can't compare it to the gratitude the Brits show the U.S.

Why is it I find this so offensive? Is it because there's a complete disregard for the other Allies who were in the war theatre long before the USA yet get no credit for their campaigns, their losses?

Talk about arrogant.

Sure, blow it off like we're non-existent.

And YES, the French, the Dutch, the UK, the Italians ALL love Canadians, so put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Maybe it's because we don't have this "We Saved Your Sorry Ass" attitude.

Let's face it, the USA only does something when there's something in it for the USA. Gratitude is therefore not required.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 06:46 pm
Mame wrote:
Foofie wrote:
Mame wrote:
Foofie wrote:

Talk about arrogant.

Sure, blow it off like we're non-existent.

And YES, the French, the Dutch, the UK, the Italians ALL love Canadians, so put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Maybe it's because we don't have this "We Saved Your Sorry Ass" attitude.

Let's face it, the USA only does something when there's something in it for the USA. Gratitude is therefore not required.

And why again are you taking umbrage with my feelings for France?

This thread was about Italians. So it morphed into France? And you seem to think I have some attitude towards Canada. Hey, at least the U.S. is not part of the Commonwealth. Give the U.S. credit for going it alone, without Mother England.

And it's not what France should do in the way of gratitude. I believe it's the attitude, in my opinion, that after two world wars France dusted itself off and acted as though that almost losing the nation could never happen, and France just went on like no one was the cause of its liberatation twice. I understand the U.S. did not join both wars to save France, but shouldn't one show gratitude to someone that throws a lifesaver to someone drowning. Simple manners.

Let's remember this thread was originally about someone not caring for his own Italian relatives. Then along comes a poster from France and takes issue with the right for someone who is Italian (living in the U.S.; likely a U.S. citizen) to comment about his own family? Do you understand what appears like audacity, to tell someone he shouldn't criticize his own family? Not your family, or my family, or his family, but his own family?

Did you even understand my earlier reference to "hang Dreyfuss"?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 07:07 pm
I'm not taking umbrage about your feelings for France; read my post again, Foofie. I'm taking umbrage about your feelings for all the Allies that worked towards defeating the Germans... to which you think only the USA was a mentionable part. Not true.

Canada is part French, so we, yes, even we Anglophonie, have a soft spot for France. And for all of Europe, in fact. Well, I can only speak for myself. But our European connection is strong and will remain stronger, for me, than my connection to the USofA, despite our proximity. It's more in the way we think and the things we value.

I don't like France being dissed because they don't have any gratitude for the United States when, in fact, the USA was only there because there was something in it for them. It was certainly not an altruistic reason.

Why should they feel gratitude when, even 60 years later, it is constantly being thrown in their faces that You Saved Their Asses?

Pffffftttt!
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 09:46 am
Mame wrote:
I'm not taking umbrage about your feelings for France; read my post again, Foofie. I'm taking umbrage about your feelings for all the Allies that worked towards defeating the Germans... to which you think only the USA was a mentionable part. Not true.

Canada is part French, so we, yes, even we Anglophonie, have a soft spot for France. And for all of Europe, in fact. Well, I can only speak for myself. But our European connection is strong and will remain stronger, for me, than my connection to the USofA, despite our proximity. It's more in the way we think and the things we value.

I don't like France being dissed because they don't have any gratitude for the United States when, in fact, the USA was only there because there was something in it for them. It was certainly not an altruistic reason.

Why should they feel gratitude when, even 60 years later, it is constantly being thrown in their faces that You Saved Their Asses?

Pffffftttt!

I don't know what your definition of "dissed" is. It's street lingo. (I think "dissed" comes from "disrespected," implying one has "honor." I believe, that concept of "honor" is really archaic.)

I was not saying anything bad about France. I just think that France should show more appreciation for those that saved the nation two times in the 20th century. Regardless of the reason the U.S. was involved in the war, the U.S. was fighting the enemy of France on French soil. Simple etiquette (a word from the French language) dictates gratitude.

Perhaps, you should never visit Mexico on May 5, Cinco de Mayo, since they are commemorating getting France out of Mexico.

The reason I only mention the efforts of the U.S. in WWII is because I'm a U.S. citizen. I am allowed to have pride in my country. I do not have to have pride in what other countries did (such as Russia). If you don't like my flag waving, don't read my postings, since between typing sentences I march around the computer with an American flag.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 11:00 am
Foofie, it's pointless to me to argue with ignorant people.

France shows gratitude towards all those who fought for it's freedom.

Just ask you ambassador and your consuls how many ceremonies they have to attend every year in France.

Try to translate this, with some internet translator:

Une lettre de Georges Clemenceau :

La France écrira toujours la mémoire des soldats américains morts pour la France. Elle couronne leurs tombes, elle en prendra soin avec la même piété, avec la même gratitude dont elle entoure les tombes de ses propres soldats.

But maybe gratitude has not the same meaning to you...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 11:20 am
I suspect that for folks like Foofie, gratitude consists in kissing the ass of whatever conservative **** in the White House demands that France follow American foreign policy unquestioningly.

"France will forever write the memorial of American soldiers who have died for France. She [i.e., France] crowns their tombs, and cares for them [i.e., their tombs] with the same piety and with the same gratitude with which she surrounds the tombs of her own soldiers."

In 1917, the Canadians, who suffered casualties far in excess of any other Allied nation except Australia, performed prodigies of valor in the battle of Vimy Ridge. This year, there were special ceremonies for the observance of the 90th anniversary of the battle. The Vimy Ridge Memorial, built by Canada in the 1920s, was restored for the event, the restoration work beginning in 2004 and completed in time for the 2007 event. The entrance to the park bears the sign "the free gift in perpetuity of the French nation to the people of Canada." Guess that ain't enough gratitude, huh?

Similar events occurred all over France during the 2004 observance of the 60th anniversary of the Normandy invasion, and the French maintain memorials to Americans and Canadians all over their nation, and maintain military cemeteries for those who died in France.

Foofie is peddling a load of bullshit.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 11:22 am
Foofie is serving as an example and for that I appreciate Foofie's presence on a2k.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 11:23 am
Francis wrote:
Foofie, it's pointless to me to argue with ignorant people.

France shows gratitude towards all those who fought for it's freedom.

Just ask you ambassador and your consuls how many ceremonies they have to attend every year in France.

Try to translate this, with some internet translator:

Une lettre de Georges Clemenceau :

La France écrira toujours la mémoire des soldats américains morts pour la France. Elle couronne leurs tombes, elle en prendra soin avec la même piété, avec la même gratitude dont elle entoure les tombes de ses propres soldats.

But maybe gratitude has not the same meaning to you...

Not everyone can be a Francophile. I cannot learn to appreciate the positive traits of the French culture. I can't appreciate the cuisine with all its sauces. Nor can I appreciate the language with its nasal sounds. Nor can I appreciate its history with its bloodbath during the French Revolution (La Guillotine), nor Napolean's victories, nor the Vichy government during WWII, nor the incursion into Mexico, nor the "concern" over Moslem girls wearing a headscarf in school.

I just don't have the intelligence to appreciate all that makes France and its culture so magnifique.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 11:25 am
Foofie wrote:

I don't know what your definition of "dissed" is. It's street lingo. (I think "dissed" comes from "disrespected," implying one has "honor." I believe, that concept of "honor" is really archaic.)

I was not saying anything bad about France. I just think that France should show more appreciation for those that saved the nation two times in the 20th century. Regardless of the reason the U.S. was involved in the war, the U.S. was fighting the enemy of France on French soil. Simple etiquette (a word from the French language) dictates gratitude.

Perhaps, you should never visit Mexico on May 5, Cinco de Mayo, since they are commemorating getting France out of Mexico.

The reason I only mention the efforts of the U.S. in WWII is because I'm a U.S. citizen. I am allowed to have pride in my country. I do not have to have pride in what other countries did (such as Russia). If you don't like my flag waving, don't read my postings, since between typing sentences I march around the computer with an American flag.

How long do you expect this gratitude to continue and in what form? Maybe this is at the root for the reasons many Europeans don't like Americans - why many Americans wander around Europe wearing Canadian Flags on their coats. We don't expect anything but are always shown respect and acceptance.

You think honour is archaic? Why am I not surprised? I think complaining that your forebears, not even you yourself, not being shown gratitude day in and day out for something that happened over a century ago is ridiculous. Grow up. Get a life. Find something worth worrying about.

They owe you nothing.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 11:28 am
I mean over 'half a century ago', not a century!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 11:29 am
I blame the Italians.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 11:31 am
Foofie wrote:

This is false, and shows the extent to which you don't know jackshit about history. On the 5th of May, 1862, the Mexican Liberals of the Army of the Reform, defeated the French at Puebla. That was at the beginning of the French invasion, which put an Austrian Archduke on an imperial throne in Mexico, at the prompting of Mexican conservatives, and which then maintained his throne, with great brutality, for more than three years afterward. Benito Juarez then proclaimed the 5th of May a national holiday. By no means does it celebrate driving the French from Mexico--they left of their own accord late in 1865, to avoid a confrontation with the United States. As usual, you show that you don't know what the Hell you're talking about.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 11:34 am
Setanta wrote:
Foofie wrote:

This is false, and shows the extent to which you don't know jackshit about history. On the 5th of May, 1862, the Mexican Liberals of the Army of the Reform, defeated the French at Puebla. That was at the beginning of the French invasion, which put an Austrian Archduke on an imperial throne in Mexico, at the prompting of Mexican conservatives, and which then maintained his throne, with great brutality, for more than three years afterward. Benito Juarez then proclaimed the 5th of May a national holiday. By no means does it celebrate driving the French from Mexico--they left of their own accord late in 1865, to avoid a confrontation with the United States. As usual, you show that you don't know what the Hell you're talking about.

I'm glad you're talking my ignorance calmly.

But, I don't care for France and its culture. That should not upset anyone.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 11:36 am
Mame wrote:
I mean over 'half a century ago', not a century!

What are you referring to? And, don't tell me how to perceive time.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 11:36 am
Italians are, in general, nice people.

It never happened to me to blame one...

"Ma chi sono io che ardisco parlare degli italiani?"
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 11:39 am
Francis wrote:
Italians are, in general, nice people.

It never happened to me to blame one...

"Ma chi sono io che ardisco parlare degli italiani?"

Blame one for what?

I also don't care for Jerry Lewis movies.
0 Replies