I fully agree with those of New Yorkers

roger

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 04:24 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
roger:
I know two or three who are sure that New Mexico isn't really in the USA.

One of them spent a vacation on the "island of Cancun".

Couple others determined to get to the bottom of the question:

"When will the USA combine with Canada and Mexico to form one really big country?"

Joe(Oh, when it happens they want to succeed from the Union)Nation

Most of the Canadians I know are on a2k. The number that would be interested in becoming a part of the US is vanishingly small. If you want, I could interview a few Mexicans for you.

A regular feature of NM Magazine is "One of our fifty is missing". A surprising number of people, and even government workers didn't get the word on statehood, either.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 04:29 pm
I understood Roberta (of course). See, I lived in Noo Yawk once.

Agree with Francis/GeorgeOb re water hammer. and George about the wet asbestos wrapper..

Wanting Lightwizard to have an a2k lawn party some sunny day.... those artichokes etc. sound gooood.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 04:33 pm
The saddest thing is to see some of these New Yorkers walking around with dust masks on, but the mask isn't on properly. There are big gaps on the edges, or at the bottom. One woman was on NY One wearing a mask upside down.

I still have not figured out how the driver of the truck was able to escape. He was burned over 80 percent of his body by the steam. (He is now in a medically induced coma.) If you pray, pray for this man. He will have a very long road back
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/07/18/nyregion/19explode03.jpg.

Joe(right in the crater)Nation
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 04:37 pm
Masks that screen out asbestos are expensive suckers; well, compared to some of the more routine masks. Damn, I hate fear transmission. The reality of the neighborhood disturbance is aggravation enough for folks.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 04:37 pm
If you have a Daily Grill near you, Osso, that's where I stole the recipe. A lawn party? Get out the lawn bowling balls. Actually do have a very large lawn park in the center of the townhouse complex at the inland residence.

Our electrical grid in the US is far more crucial than steam pipes in New York, especially since another major blackout would be really bad news for The Big Apple -- it could potentially last more than a few days. Still, it's bad news as the asbestos exposure might not show up for years.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 04:40 pm
Watch, soon there will be Doggie Asbestos Masques...
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 04:48 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Okay, you pot-smoking wise guys, the tomatoes are smoked in a ...

and for baking;

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/78/Bong_glas.jpg

conceived and so named a "bong" to avoid the repeat of an unpleasant episode when it's inventor's wife took offense from his statement one saturday night that he was going out to pick up a hookah.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 04:52 pm
Water hammer. Been decades since I understood that (how soon it flies) but I seem to remember something about pressure differential. Um, pipe sizing?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 05:34 pm
Pick up a hookah. Laughing
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 05:36 pm
roger wrote:
Roberta wrote:
Odd-thinking Noo Yawker here. Not terrorists. Steam. Sorry to disappoint.

And the mysterious substance in the air? Asbestos. The pipe was put in in 1924. Back then asbestos was a good thing, and the pipe was probably wrapped in it or lined with it.

Otherwise the newbie is 100 percent correct.

You mean, "Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?"

Bull's eye. Give the rat a kewpie doll--whether he wants one or not.

The city structure is old. OLD. There's asbestos all over the place, usually lying still. I'm remembering we had a lesson in elementary school about the wonders of asbestos and how happy and relieved we should all be that the cracked and crumbling old building was filled with it--for our protection.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 05:42 pm
It's more likely that the insulation around one of the steam pipe had gotten cracks or breaks in it and that the cold rain water (we had a doozy of a storm in the morning.) got up against the 400 F steam. How can steam be more than 212 degrees F? Easy. You put the steam under pressure, a lot of pressure.

Take a hot pipe at 400F and bath it in 68F degree water. Or take a broiling pan you don't want any more and get it red hot, then drop it into ice water. Listen to the sound of metal molecules screaming.

Of course, when a pressurized pipe blows there is a tremendous force released, giving us geysers up to 30 or more stories filled with paving materials and anything else in it's way.

Joe(Hey, catch a piece of Old New York!**)Nation

**former NYC ad campaign slogan
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 07:21 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
Take a hot pipe at 400F and bath it in 68F degree water. Or take a broiling pan you don't want any more and get it red hot, then drop it into ice water. Listen to the sound of metal molecules screaming.

Of course, when a pressurized pipe blows there is a tremendous force released, giving us geysers up to 30 or more stories filled with paving materials and anything else in it's way.

Just like Rosie guzzling some Ice Mountain after a set feud.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 08:56 pm
I'm going to get Rosie to sit on your head.

Joe(Not in a good way)Nation
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 09:12 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
I'm going to get Rosie to sit on your head.

Joe(Not in a good way)Nation

ah, let 'im be joe. snarking on people like rosie is all bush's few remaining true believers have left to distract them from his absolute incompetence.

and speaking of ol' bushie...

http://www.amgmedia.com/freephotos/lemon-sm.jpg
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 09:18 pm
Yep DTOM, the steam explosion in NYC is all W's fault...

What idiocy.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 09:31 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Yep DTOM, the steam explosion in NYC is all W's fault...

What idiocy.

that's not what i said, and you know it.

however, there is quite a hefty list of things that he's screwed up on.

continuing to support him... now that is idiocy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 09:37 pm
I'm unknowing about Rosie (I forego tv) and have no idea what she might have to do with asbestos. For what it's worth, I don't think Bush caused this problem either, unless he vetoed some city help bill.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 09:38 pm
Uh, let's see.

Stock market at all time highs.

Unemployment near record lows.

Interest rates basically unchanged in 7 years.

No domestic terror attacks since 2001

So.... those must be bad.

I will give you:

Gas prices out of control.

Illegal aliens overunning our country.

Way too many Dumbocrats elected to Congress.

The rest is to be expected no matter who was president. No way we we're not going into Afghanistan, and Iraq was way overdue. At least ten years overdue. How soon pacifists forget...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 09:46 pm
What has this to do with old pipes, cjhsa?
Do you have anything to contribute re old city pipes? Do they rust? Can they withstand various forces of steam or other (matter)?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 09:49 pm
ossobuco wrote:
What has this to do with old pipes, cjhsa?

"It's all Bush's fault".
0 Replies