I fully agree with those of New Yorkers

cjhsa

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 12:31 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
You mean we are spending the trillions needed on reclamation of infrastructure in other countries?

No, to feed Rosie...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 12:46 pm
Still on the weight thing, huh. You've just insulted 65% of Americans over 20 years of age.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 12:52 pm
Do you think they should be coddled?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 01:01 pm
Poached. Thanks for checking.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 01:01 pm
I don't think they'd taste any better.

A politician is someone who finding some of his constituents are cannibals, promises them missionaries for lunch.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 01:02 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Poached. Thanks for checking.

Now cut that out. Stepping on my line. Really. Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 01:24 pm
Sorry.

<moves to side of stage - away from the Vizier's light>
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 01:36 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
AnimalFear just joined to share.

And we, in our perky, quirky, always good humored way, are sharing with her/him.

OOOOMMMM.

kum ba yah

Joe(everybody hug. Watch that left hand, buddy!)Nation
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 02:38 pm
Odd-thinking Noo Yawker here. Not terrorists. Steam. Sorry to disappoint.

And the mysterious substance in the air? Asbestos. The pipe was put in in 1924. Back then asbestos was a good thing, and the pipe was probably wrapped in it or lined with it.

Otherwise the newbie is 100 percent correct.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 02:47 pm
Technically, he is not..
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 02:53 pm
Technically about as right according to facts as the other conspiracy theorists.
They can always cook something up, and, besides, I hate food steamed.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 03:20 pm
Just in case there's a chance that I was misunderstood...I think AnimalFear is incorrect--in the overall premise and in the details.

I agree with LW. Conspiracy theorists will find a conspiracy anywhere. LW, you don't like a nice steamed wonton?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 03:29 pm
Nope, stir fried. I guess I could still get through a Chinese breakfast with all the meat filled, steamed pastry. I actually do like steamed rice or steamed artichokes, except I always cut them in half and grill them, dousing them with an oil and vinegar dressing and whipping up a smoked tomato dip.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 03:32 pm
Smoked tomato ? ! ? ! ?

How do you get the damned thing lit?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 03:35 pm
Setanta wrote:
Smoked tomato ? ! ? ! ?

How do you get the damned thing lit?

You gotta drag real deep mannnn, not some pussy little girl hit. They'll light up eventually.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 03:44 pm
Re: I fully agree with those of New Yorkers
Francis wrote:
- I'm not an expert in explosions but I witnessed explosions in smaller steam pipes due to the injection of cold water..

- I'm not an expert in vibration but I've seen pipes vibrate, and therefore transmitting the vibration to their physical supports, because of the pressure going off. Just like a squirming water hose left on..

I think Francis is close to the truth here. The steam pipe is reported to have failed, not because it was old or defective, but rather as a result of a phenomenon called "water hammer". It is almost always the result of human error in bringing a shutdown steamline back into operation. Water hammer, or a repeated collapse and restoration of the steam cloud or bubble in a pipe section or container, occurs when steam is rapidly introduced into a pipe or container which contains cooled liquid condensate (water). This results in rapid, hammer-like variations in pressure, almost always exceeding the strength of the pipe attachments and/or the pipe or container itself. There is a great deal of stored energy in steam, and once the pipe ruptured an explosive release of energy occurred, ending only when the source was finally shut off.

The right way to introduce steam is to isolate the assumed empty pipe or container, open all the drain valves, and very slowly introduce live steam. This will drive any liquid out the drains - a process that can take 30 - 60 minutes in a large system.. When the drain flow is entirely steam (no liquid) then it is safe to close the drains and introduce normal steam flow.

There very likely was asbestos insulation around the old pipe. However the release, with all the attendant moisture and steam, almost certainly prevented any significant release of airborne asbestos filaments - the only vector that causes significant human hazards. Moreover the mesothelioma risk associated with asbestos occurs primarily with heavy smokers - the combination of the two factors raises the risk over a thousand - fold over either factor alone.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 03:53 pm
Okay, you pot-smoking wise guys, the tomatoes are smoked in a

http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/images/CMISMO.jpg

OOOPPPS, this isn't the cooking section?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 03:55 pm
A lot of methane gas pockets under the Southern California area, especially parts of LA. They have exploded in the past. The most famous rendition, however, is in the opening scene of "Blade Runner."

They should really re-investigate those explosions, though. I could be a terrorist with a match.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 04:15 pm
According to most of the news outlets around here, Con Edison have worked on both the pipes at that location several times in the past eight weeks. Neighbors reported seeing work crews there more than five times.

There was concern about the location. Someone didn't get the situation fixed. Now 125 businesses are shuttered until they get the all clear and lots of people are doing the sofa tour of several friend's apartments.

Joe(no terrorism, just someone about to get fired)Nation
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 04:19 pm
Roberta wrote:
Odd-thinking Noo Yawker here. Not terrorists. Steam. Sorry to disappoint.

And the mysterious substance in the air? Asbestos. The pipe was put in in 1924. Back then asbestos was a good thing, and the pipe was probably wrapped in it or lined with it.

Otherwise the newbie is 100 percent correct.

You mean, "Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?"
0 Replies