I Fell Down. Owwee!

littlek

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 07:58 pm
Something about making booboos not heal right. This is what my gut tells me: if you use Vit-E oil it reduces scarring. Scarring is integral to healing. The less the scar tissue the longer the fussing of skin. That is entirely my take, though.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 08:01 pm
I don't care, myself, about scarring. I care if the patella is cracked or the miniscus torn...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 08:02 pm
I prefer the no-scar look, so I'll go with the Vitamin E capsules.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 08:14 pm
Well, all of my old scars have healed but geez...I'm not trying to acquire a whole new set. Anybody for aloe vera? I've got a great plant.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 08:23 pm
I like aloe vera for itch and pain relief, and I think it's pretty good at starting the healing process.

I guess like 'some' people can't stay away from picking scabs, I can't stay away from Vitamin E.

(I don't think it's for everyone, but it's worked well for me, as well as for a few friends who tend toward keloid scarring)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 08:27 pm
Not to be a poopity head or anything, but web md thinks Vt-E isn't all that helpful.

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/42/1668_50274

They do say that keeping a wound covered in antibiotic ointment will help and that exposing it to air isn't necessarily recommended. So, I was wrong.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 08:34 pm
http://www.superfoodsrx.com/nutrition/ask-the-doctor/vitamin-e.html

Quote:

Quote:
Allowing a wound to dry out slows healing and can lead to worse scarring. I never like to see a dried, thick scab. Thin scabbing is okay if you are using an emollient. So, "Keep it Greasy."

Quote:
3) If a wound is at risk for infection (like a skinned knee), I recommend applying a topical antibiotic after the wound has been cleaned. The topical antibiotic, which is usually in a petrolatum "base", should be applied frequently to keep the wound "greasy" for 3 to 5 days and then switched to a plain petrolatum (Vaseline) to keep the wound greasy until healing is complete. After the skin heals, gentle massage with a moisturizer or petrolatum can help minimize and remove the thickening that often occurs with wound healing. Of course, if a wound becomes infected or appears redder, develops pus, feels warm to the touch, or becomes very painful, it should be seen by your physician immediately. It is important to note that topical antibiotics like Neosporin (triple-antibiotic ointment), bacitracin, and neomycin can cause skin reactions with prolonged usage-that is why I recommend only 3 to 5 days of a topical antibiotic before switching to petrolatum.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 08:39 pm
hmmm... lost a post to DeBug mode.

I said, ehem, that greasy is good, it seems. And I definitely concur with seeing a doctor when the wound feels hot!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 08:41 pm
Grease is good.
Vitamin E is good in some, limited, cases.
Pus is bad.

(I didn't see you, l'k, I was in the middle of a round of Luxor II).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 08:58 pm
Luxor?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 09:31 pm
(Luxor's a computer game.)

Mom used Vitamin E capsules after her face lift. The only scars visible are the ones behind her ears. (She probably forgot the Vitamin E back there.) Never tried it myself.

Oooommmmmming for the quick healing of eoe's knee with little scarring, but an interesting scab.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 09:40 pm
Okay. Shows how much I know. I spoke earlier about pus but after reading ehbeth's link, it's really serous, that clear sticky liquid that my wound was releasing earlier today. At the moment, the Neosporin I've been using has been absorbed and I think it was causing a little irritation, which I just read about so I'll switch to Vaseline tonight. Got a big ol' vat of that. Smile
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 10:43 pm
eoe wrote:
NO I WON'T! I WON'T! I WON'T!

Oh yeah, wait until it starts to heal, then ITCH, you'll be pickin Twisted Evil

Only joking of course and I'm not crazy about scars so I suppose you should take everyones advice here by putting ointment and stuff on it.

Ohmmmmm.......
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 04:00 am
Ommm from here. Feel better soon, eoe.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 07:45 am
Thanks for all of the good ooooommmmmmms. I think they worked. The ol' knee is feeling alot better this morning.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 08:19 am
Buy some health insurance.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 08:46 am
yeah. thanks for the tip.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 09:47 am
Glad to hear it's getting all better, now remember to keep taking it easy with the workouts for a few weeks in the knee area ;-)
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 09:51 am
eoe wrote:
yeah. thanks for the tip.

Didn't you just post "Eat my grits"?
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 09:53 am
Yeah. I was thinking last night of knocking off on the workout altogether for awhile but that's just trifling. Can't let myself get away with that. I can easily avoid the specific moves of my routine that involves the knees without resorting to no work out at all.
0 Replies