I Fell Down. Owwee!

JPB

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 04:40 pm
eoe wrote:
Here's a question...how many of the "warnings" on over-the-counter medications truly valid and how many are just the cover-their-ass variety?

There are two main categories, side effects and contraindications.

Side effects tend to be those things that have been observed during clinical investigations prior to being on-market, or in the case of some OTCs, while being prescription only. They may or may not have been directly attributable to the drug, but if a reaction was observed in sufficient numbers (say, 2 - 5% of the study population), or is a significant clinical event then it has to be listed on the label.

Contraindications are warnings that indicate who should not take the drug. This may be because of a known interaction with another medication, a known tendency to exacerbate an existing condition, or because the population was not included in the clinical trials (pregnant women, children, etc.)
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 05:09 pm
That's interesting. I never realized that when pregnant women are advised NOT to take a medication, it's because that medication, when tested, did not include pregnant women. I always assumed that there was something in the medication that may prove harmful to the fetus.

And you learn something new every day.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 05:19 pm
It could be either/both. Some drugs are known to cross the placenta and would be contraindicated for that reason. Others haven't been studied and therefore wouldn't be included in the intended use population.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 05:26 pm
eoe, when your scabs get really ripe, can I come over and watch you pick at them?

Would you let me pick one?

Just one?

ewww...set, when you mentioned sunburns, you gave me a flashback. My older sister is practically an albino...she'd go lay in the sun and get all burned, then start to peel.

She always wanted me to pull the skin off her back.

Oh, sorry, I should be telling this in littlek's gross thread.

nevermind
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 05:40 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
most are cover-their-ass type, but you never know. people react differently. i don't have experience with naproxshmelingmafitwhatsit.... but i forgot to add that the 600mg of Ibuprofen was taken 3X a day, for a week. I think cjhsa's post kinda clarified that.

whatever you take, make sure it's anti-inflammatory, not just a pain killer.

....i think you'll be fine... just don't do those 70 reps with 25 pound resistance for at least two weeks or so. you gotta give it time to heal.

I agree that you should give the worout a break for a bit. Your knees have had some trama and need time to heal.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 05:45 pm
eoe wrote:
Here's a question...how many of the "warnings" on over-the-counter medications truly valid and how many are just the cover-their-ass variety?

Most individuals never have an adverse side effect to the OTC meds, when they're taken as directed. However, there is documented evidence in the scientific literature, that specific ethnicities do respond differently to different meds.

One of the best analgesics is Bayer's aspirin. If you're not allergic to the med, try a low dose ( 80 mg ) at first and if well tolerated, try a 325 mg tab. Aspirin will stop the pain and the inflammation.

Some individuals don't tolerate aspirin and will tend to have severe nose bleeds. If this should happen to you, I suggest you try enteric Advil.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 05:53 pm
Drug categories:

A Adequate, well-controlled studies in pregnant women have not shown an increased risk of fetal abnormalities.

B Animal studies have revealed no evidence of harm to the fetus, however there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women.orAnimal studies have shown an adverse effect, but adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women have failed to demonstrate a risk to the fetus.

C Animal studies have shown an adverse effect and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women. or No animal studies have been conducted and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women.

D Studies, adequate well-controlled or observational, in pregnant women have demonstrated a risk to the fetus. However, the benefits of therapy may outweigh the potential risk.

X Studies, adequate well-controlled or observational, in animals or pregnant women have demonstrated positive evidence of fetal abnormalities. The use of the product is contraindicated in women who are or may become pregnant.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 06:48 pm
Chai wrote:
eoe, when your scabs get really ripe, can I come over and watch you pick at them?

Would you let me pick one?

Just one?

ewww...set, when you mentioned sunburns, you gave me a flashback. My older sister is practically an albino...she'd go lay in the sun and get all burned, then start to peel.

She always wanted me to pull the skin off her back.

Oh, sorry, I should be telling this in littlek's gross thread.

nevermind

Oooh Chai. How nasty.
I have already vowed not to pick this scab.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 07:22 pm
Chai,
The next time I decide to use the pavement as a water slide, you're more than welcome to come and pick my scabs for me, although I do rather enjoy doing it myself ;-)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 07:23 pm
Eoe,
I bet you'll pick it.

Yup, you'll pick it.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 07:38 pm
NO I WON'T! I WON'T! I WON'T!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 07:43 pm
What's the point of going to all of the trouble of getting a good scab if there isn't going to be any picking?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 07:44 pm
Come oooon, eoe, everyone does it!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 07:46 pm
I'm an adult. Adults don't pick at scabs. We're supposed to let things heal by themselves, on their own with no assistance or, worse, setbacks. Right?

Looks like I'm switching to Motrin for tonight. Just found a bottle of that. I'll go out tomorrow and get more Aleve.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 07:48 pm
Pffft, you're talking to a woman who popped her head-cyst repeatedly. If you lived closer I'd donate my aleve.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 07:49 pm
No. Uh-uh. We're not going to talk about that here. You've got a thread going on that already. Take it back there. Please!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 07:50 pm
Fine. Be like that.

Get some nice vitamin E oil capsules while you're getting more meds. Open the capsule and spread the vitamin E all over the scab. It'll heal nice and clean. Don't bother with vitamin E creams, just break open the capsules.

Spoil sport.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 07:50 pm
How about aloe vera?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 07:53 pm
I take it back, figuratively.

I've heard mixed reviews about vitamin E oil.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 07:55 pm
Really. I always heard that vitamin e oil is good for your complexion so, how bad can it be for nasty boo-boos.
0 Replies