I Fell Down. Owwee!

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 01:57 pm
eoe wrote:
Okay Set. I just took my last two Aleve (I hadn't taken anything since the tumble) and I found a couple of samples of Advil that I planned on taking tonight. Are you saying I shouldn't take the Advil?

Well, sort of. If you switch to Advil, stop taking the Aleve. If you continue with the Aleve, don't take the Advil. You've got apples and oranges here. Advil, which is ibuprofen, is an analgesic (pain killer) with minor anti-inflammatory properties--you have to take a lot to get the anti-inflammatory effect. On the other hand, it provides very fast pain relief. I recommend the naproxen sodium because of my own experience with my injury. In the long run, the anti-inflammatory is more effective at getting rid of the dull ache. I agree with those who have advised you to stop working out (or at least don't do exercises which require you to put weight on your leg). Give it some time. Personally, i'd use the naproxen sodium (Aleve). But if you prefer the pain relief of the ibuprofen (Advil), then stop taking the naproxen sodium.

In either case, when you to the store, and you buy Advil or Aleve, you are paying for the name. Look on the side of the box or bottle for the active medical ingredient. If you want an Advil-like product, you are looking for ibuprofen, and it will be cheaper in the store brand. If you want an Aleve-like product, you are looking for naproxen sodium, and, once again, the store brand, or generic brand, will be cheaper than the name brand.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 02:01 pm
If your knee is bothering you, you might want to wear a light knee brace. It will prevent the knee from moving laterally, and may give you some relief.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 02:03 pm
This is from the Aleve web site:

Quote:
Do not use any other over-the-counter cold, allergy, or pain medication without first asking your doctor or pharmacist. Many medicines available over the counter contain aspirin or other medicines similar to Aleve (such as ibuprofen or ketoprofen). If you take certain products together you may accidentally take too much of this type of medication. Read the label of any other medicine you are using to see if it contains aspirin, ibuprofen, or ketoprofen. Do not drink alcohol while taking Aleve. Alcohol can increase the risk of stomach bleeding caused by Aleve. Avoid prolonged exposure to sunlight. Aleve may increase the sensitivity of the skin to sunlight. Use a sunscreen and wear protective clothing when exposure to the sun is unavoidable.

You can read about Aleve (naproxen sodium) by clicking here.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 02:09 pm
Thanks Set for breaking that down for me. I only have a sample package of the Advil but the type is so mf'ing tiny, I can't read it! Even with my glasses and a magnifying glass.

I thought about the knee brace Phoenix. If nothing else, it'll squeeze some of the pus out.
I know. Eeeeyew. Belongs on the gross thread.

Health insurance for me and my old man would cost upwards of $700 a month. We've certainly looked into it and I would love the cushion of medical and dental insurance but, we just try not to think about it. He's 62 this year. Just a few more years and at least he'll be covered. Or is it 63?

Anyway. my knee feels better already. Must be the good vibes.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 02:11 pm
Help!!! I've fallin" and I can't reach the beer!!!!!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 02:12 pm
You old ******.
Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 02:13 pm
Ohhhh...naproxin....that was the one that made me think I had an ulcer.

You might want to ask the pharmacist if their anything with less chance of stomach problems.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 02:17 pm
Oh. I love Aleve. Before my foot surgery, Aleve carried me for another month. I swear by it. Never had a problem.

I've never taken Advil. Not that I recall. I've always been a Bayer/Tylenol/Aleve kinda girl. But you know, back in my migraine and menstrual cramp days I'd take whatever anybody in the office had.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 02:19 pm
Quote:
I thought about the knee brace Phoenix. If nothing else, it'll squeeze some of the pus out.

Pus? If you have an infection in the knee, it would be very important that you get it checked.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 02:25 pm
It's not that much. This whole thing reminds me of when I was a little kid. I use to fall down and scar myself up all the time. When I fell last week and looked up at the sky, I swear, being ten years old again and falling off of my bike or my skates flashed before my eyes.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 02:28 pm
Just watch the infection. If it worsens, it must be treated. There is a lot of MRSA out in the community, which is no fun.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 02:30 pm
I know. Thanks. I have been keeping an eye on it.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 02:31 pm
Ouch! No additional advice (maybe an ace-type bandage rather than a brace), but I hope you feel better soon.

Oh - and keep an eye on the wound. If it becomes odorous, or if you become feverish, then it's time to stop fooling around and get to a physician.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 02:33 pm
I took a good fall on my knees around 9 years back and since I was running I skid for a bit before I came to a stop, so you can imagine size of the scabs on both my knees Shocked
I skid in the concrete sidewalk, so it was pretty gross.
I never did go get it checked out and they're fine, but that doesn't mean yours are fine Razz

Gonna take a while to get rid of that scab Shocked
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 02:36 pm
It'll join all of the other scars. Ha-ha.

I think Dag may have hit on it with my workout. I do 70 reps of one move that calls for a deep kneebend with 25 lbs. of resistance. It didn't hurt last week and it didn't hurt while doing it this morning but..
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 02:42 pm
By the by, EOE, you'll want to take notice of that part about the sensitivity to sunlight with naproxen sodium . . . i'd hate to think of you getting a bad sunburn . . .
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 02:53 pm
Here's a question...how many of the "warnings" on over-the-counter medications truly valid and how many are just the cover-their-ass variety?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 02:59 pm
most are cover-their-ass type, but you never know. people react differently. i don't have experience with naproxshmelingmafitwhatsit.... but i forgot to add that the 600mg of Ibuprofen was taken 3X a day, for a week. I think cjhsa's post kinda clarified that.

whatever you take, make sure it's anti-inflammatory, not just a pain killer.

....i think you'll be fine... just don't do those 70 reps with 25 pound resistance for at least two weeks or so. you gotta give it time to heal.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 03:07 pm
eoe wrote:
Here's a question...how many of the "warnings" on over-the-counter medications truly valid and how many are just the cover-their-ass variety?

I think it's largely cover their ass stuff--but you would not like to find out that you are one of that tiny fraction of the population who has a drastic adverse reaction to an overdose of ibuprofen or aspirin.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 03:12 pm
I know that's right. But personally, I've taken my share of both throughout the years. I ain't scared.
0 Replies