39

Why does sunlight make me tired?

stuh505

Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 06:13 pm
I have noticed that exposure to sunlight makes me tired. I recall a friend mentioning something about a specific vitamin or something that was created when in the sunlight that caused the effect and I'd like to find out what it is, and if there is a way I can prevent it.

Chai

1  
Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 06:34 pm
Isn't it Vitamin D?

Tai Chi

0  
Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 06:54 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
Isn't it Vitamin D?

Is that why hot milk is recommended for helping one sleep?
Noddy24

1  
Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 07:04 pm
My guess is that sunlight makes you tired because you're short on sleep.

Manufacturing Vitamin D is a fairly automatic process, requiring little extra effort.

stuh505

1  
Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 07:14 pm
Noddy, what is the connection between sunlight there?

I know that in VT it is not usually that sunny and I never had problems. Even if I don't get much sleep, the tiredness wears off after the morning and I am good to stay up late.

But every time I go somewhere its hot and sunny I find myself getting extremely tired, having trouble staying awake for even a normal amount of time and wanting to get 10-12 hours of sleep sometimes...when I am usually fine on 6.

littlek

1  
Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 07:15 pm
I believe it's the calcium in warm milk (any milk) that is supposed to help you sleep.

Stuh, if you spend a lot of time in the warm/hot sun, doing labor, you can get heat sickness.

stuh505

1  
Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 07:16 pm
That's from dehydration though. I don't work outside, but today I just warked around for a few hours outside...and drank a lot, I think.

littlek

1  
Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 07:19 pm
drank a lot of what?

stuh505

1  
Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 07:26 pm
Red wine. Why? :wink:

edit - in all seriousness, it was water and root beer Smile

I really think it's the sunlight though!

littlek

1  
Reply Wed 23 Aug, 2006 08:50 pm
Why? Because some liquids dehydrate you more than they hydrate you. Red wine, for example would dehydrate you more than hydrate you. Water is all hydrating and root beer is sort of in between.

Heliotrope

1  
Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 12:05 am
Anything with alcohol in it dehydrates you more than it hydrates you.
Alcohol not only causes you to excrete the water you're taking in with the drink plus extra it also blocks the takeup of water so it's a double-whammy.
Obviously the concentration of alcohol is a factor.

Heliotrope

1  
Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 12:07 am
I reckon you're getting tired in the sun for the same reason I do.
You need more sleep.
The light is telling you that your body clock and circadian rhythms are all screwed up and your body wants to go to sleep.
Let it sleep.
It'll be fine in a couple of days.

spendius

1  
Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 02:52 am
That's what I would do.

Trust the body. If the "mind" fights the body too much the body eventually gives the "mind" the old heave-ho.

Chai

1  
Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 04:14 am
hot and sunny....as in hot, sunny and HUMID?

The humidity will knock you out.

I know that here, it can be in the upper 90's, but if it's dry, just being outside doesn't tire you.

However, if it's humid on top of that, it'll really wear you out.

Noddy24

1  
Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 09:13 am
I just did some hasty research and learned that Vitamin D is misnamed--it is one of a number of steroid hormones (like adrenaline) manufactured in the body.

While its manufacture is triggered by sunlight, this manufacture is no more tiring that manufacture of the other steroid hormones.

Much more here:

http://vitamind.ucr.edu/biochem.html

ossobuco

1  
Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 10:43 am
I think it is tryptophan that is the amino acid in milk that affects sleep..

carter79

1  
Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 07:56 am
The sun makes me tired...
Wow... I can't say that I agree with the other posts to your problem, but I think that it's good that people are trying to help with possible solutions. I know what you're going through because I happened upon this post when I was looking an answer to this problem for myself.

I get plenty of good sleep and I know when I'm tired from over-exertion.
I'm in excellent physical shape and I have a strict PT regiment thanks to Uncle Sam.
As soon as I get out in the sun (moonlight doesn't affect me) it absolutely drains me of everything I have. I just want to go take a nap. As soon as the sun goes down a bit I'm fine or if I'm in it for a prolonged period of time I can fight through it, but it's like taking a Tylenol PM or something.
I don't think that it's a biorythym thing because I'm on as near a perfect sleep cycle for my body as anyone could ask for. It's just the sun.

BTW, I currently live in Hawai'i so there is plenty of it...
I guess my search continues...
stuh505

1  
Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 04:07 pm
Re: The sun makes me tired...
carter79 wrote:

Yup!

smorgs

1  
Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 04:10 pm
Maybe you're becoming a Vampire? Have you checked your neck?

spendius

1  
Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 05:36 pm
No.

Should I?