Dinner tonight - or last night.

ossobuco

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2015 06:56 pm
@ehBeth,
prev made spicy lemon garlic chicken and prev cooked wagon wheel pasta with pesto; spinach with a tad of butter
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2015 09:42 pm
Friday night
didn't do groceries as planned Embarrassed

ok then

last couple of pieces of bacon, cut up tiny tiny tiny with kitchen scissors
half an onion, diced
about a half cup of ham, shredded

cooked til everything browned, a bit crispyish in spots

tossed in a can of baked beans and a cup of cooked carrots

heated

swirled in some nice maple syrup

served with Macedonian sourdough bun

delish on a cool night (snow expected overnight)

Set's not a fan of maple anything

he had something else <smile>

___

<edit> looked up the page
apparently cans of something plus stuff are my autumn default when I've mistimed shopping
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 13 Nov, 2015 11:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
blood sausage ring

Riquisimo as they say in Spain
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2015 10:19 pm
homemade pizza with chili cheese sausage slices, shredded nacho cheese blend (mozza/cheddar/jack with jalapeno), mushrooms, tomato paste, tomato sauce, diced red pepper, a bit of onion

want to try and replicate a potato pizza I had a few years ago. it was Boston Pizza's pierogi pizza and so tasty.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-wi7NXkwEiKE/T4wwH8wo1YI/AAAAAAAABC4/TVeF69xl_cU/s1600/Screen+Shot+2012-04-16+at+11.42.38+AM.png

I've been reading on the copycat sites - trying to figure out the blend of spices
vonny

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 02:52 pm
Catalan bean casserole
ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 03:36 pm
@vonny,
mmmmm, going to look that one up, Vonny.

Late afternoon and into the evening I put together my first risotto in a long time. I used to make risotto a lot but I got out of the habit when I moved here and only could find the arborio rice I've never liked as much as the bags of arborio I use to buy back in italian markets in California. Since making risotto was routine, back in the day, I had no qualms fooling around with what I put in the rice and timing, no problemo.

Years went by, but some time ago a friend gave a small bag of arborio from Italy. It looked ok, but the rice was smaller than I was used to, and it has sat in the cupboard waiting for me to get interested. Recipe on the bag different than I'm used to. And I'm different, older and out of risotto practice. Plus, I'm less patient, like to go back and check the computer sometimes while still cooking away.

So..
long story short, it turned out fine, even very good. I'll make it again, but chase around for arborio that looks more normal to me, some grocery store adventuring. Geeze, I used to buy it in five pound bags.

What was in it? A little oil and butter, arborio cooked the way Marcella Hazan's classic book taught me - this time having to read up - arborio stirred in the fat a few minutes, a little red wine cooked down, 5 or 6 cups of hot simmering water mixed with beef broth in a side pan;

I cut up and browned two hot italian sausages in a side pan, and added those and whatever juice from the sausages and some of my store of caramellized onions plus some previously oven roasted canned marzano tomatoes* into the rice as it was getting towards halfway done; as some of the liquid, I added some of the spicy bbq sauce I had made previously for spareribs, threw in some pepper for good measure, and kept tossing until the rice tasted "there'.

Yay, an ital type risotto with a faint bit of Kansas City BBQ taste. Now I'm not worried about risotto anymore... just which store in town to get the best arborio. There's an ital market across the city, will call and check with them first.

* I didn't know until recently that one can roast the tomatoes that are canned. I often buy ordinary tomatoes in cans, but sometimes splurge for San Marzanos,
which, besides being pretty good tomatoes, also usually have better sauce than other canned tomatoes. Also, more expensive, oh well. There are lots of recipes out there on how-to; I use Martha Stewart's.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2015 03:58 pm
Here's the BBC's take on Catalan Potato and Bean Stew -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/catalanpotatoandbean_89890

Catalan potato and bean stew

Ingredients

For the garlic dip
6 garlic cloves, peeled
250ml/9fl oz extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sherry vinegar

For the potato and bean stew
2 tbsp olive oil
50g/2oz breadcrumbs
3 red onions, peeled and finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
750g/1lb 10oz potatoes, unpeeled, cut into large cubes
250ml/9fl oz vegetable stock
4 tomatoes, peeled, chopped
1 can cannellini beans, drained
1 handful fresh mint leaves
1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
75g/2½oz butter
½ lemon, juice only

Preparation method
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas 4.
For the garlic dip, place the garlic into a baking dish and drizzle over the olive oil. Toss well to coat, then roast in the oven for 25 minutes, or until the garlic is soft and golden.
Transfer the garlic and oil into a food processor, add the salt and sherry vinegar and blend to a smooth purée. Set aside.

For the potato and bean stew, heat the olive oil in a pan and gently fry the breadcrumbs for 3-4 minutes, or until softened. Add the onions and garlic and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until the onions are soft and translucent.
Add the potatoes and stock to the pan, then reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 10-12 minutes.
Add the tomatoes and beans and simmer for another 4-5 minutes, then stir in the herbs, butter and lemon juice.
To serve, spoon the stew into serving bowls. Serve the garlic dip alongside, or spoon over the stew.

OK, that sounds good!
vonny

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 02:49 pm
@ossobuco,
I omitted the garlic dip and had garlic bread instead - tasted delicious! Sometimes I vary the beans - kidney beans are my favourite.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 04:35 pm
@vonny,
I have some anasazi beans waiting to be cooked, will use a lot of your recipe.

https://sensiblesurvival.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/04-anasazi-beans.jpg?w=300&h=221

http://www.wisegeek.org/what-are-anasazi-beans.htm#didyouknowout
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 07:46 pm
@ossobuco,
I never knew there was a name for this combo - I'll have to tell Set it's something real and not just me poking around in the fridge and cupboard Smile

I like the ingredient blend a lot!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 07:50 pm
breakfast for dinner tonight

bacon/eggs/mushrooms/yellow peppers on rye toast

I'd much rather have breakfast foods in the evening and soup type things earlier in the day
ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2015 08:09 pm
@ehBeth,
I just put some braunschweiger on buttered rye toast.. rather lascivious.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2015 07:01 pm
@ehBeth,
pierogi pizza success!

storebought pizza base (naan)
thinly sliced parboiled potatoes
sauteed thinly sliced onions and diced yellow pepper
base of garlic alfredo sauce
a couple of slivered olives (not authentic but tasty)
a scant handful of shredded cheese

bake

It worked!
ossobuco

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2015 07:31 pm
@ehBeth,
I'm making carne adobada again. This not attentive cook doesn't like browning cut up pork watchfully, so I flit away, after shutting it down, for internet respite and then get back to it.

My recipe says oven pan, but I like slow cooking, thus lowish oven, where it is now.

I'll make a sammich.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 Nov, 2015 03:56 pm
already had our version of American Thanksgiving dinner

probably going to have waffles tonight

vonny

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2015 02:50 pm
@ehBeth,
Welsh Rarebit
ehBeth

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2015 06:18 pm
1.5 pork chops

craving protein after 3+ hours of dance workshops this afternoon
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2015 08:52 pm
@vonny,
vonny wrote:

Welsh Rarebit

Shocked I had to look that up, but now it's on my culinary bucket list. I've got to find a way to experience that if it's only once...
vonny

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 10:41 am
@FBM,
It's delicious! There are quite a few variations on it too - do try it! Laughing

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/static/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2011/10/26/1319643835503/Felicitys-perfect-welsh-r-007.jpg?w=620&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10&s=15f85f40c030ce8a743a652c6bb462e0

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj_1uHyy7jJAhVD6xQKHfdqDSYQFggsMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Flifeandstyle%2Fwordofmouth%2F2011%2Foct%2F27%2Fhow-to-cook-perfect-welsh-rarebit&usg=AFQjCNFFog382ZzmhyGhkqqPEtel5EuNQQ

FBM

Reply Mon 30 Nov, 2015 04:49 pm
@vonny,
Next time I'm out with the gang, I'll ask around to see if anybody knows where I can find it. I'm drooling over the pics and the descriptions!
0 Replies