Dinner tonight - or last night.

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2015 09:45 pm
@margo,
With three kids and a hungry husband, he needs to put on the apron and
cook. I think jcboy and Marco make everyone smile here - they're such a cute couple and having taken on 2 additional kids is no small token. They convey to us that there is good in the world.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2015 08:29 am
@CalamityJane,
And Hungry Husband is a fine cook too...

I'm smiling at your summary, CJane, you are so right.
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2015 05:59 pm
@CalamityJane,
Thank you Jane.

You’re right, taking care of three small children is no easy task but they're all getting along just fine and it does get a little easier each day. They’ve adjusted very well together and all have fallen into the same daily routine

And on a side note, September when school starts couldn’t get here soon enough! Smile

Morgan has dinner on the stove, chicken and sausage gumbo! It smells wonderful!
ossobuco

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2015 06:06 pm
@MMarciano,
Meantime, it's Green Chile season in New Mexico. Time for me to dig out your recipe from my files. And put tomatillos on the shopping list..
MMarciano

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2015 06:13 pm
@ossobuco,
Normally we have to drive at least an hour to find tomatillos. They don’t carry them in the local super markets around this area.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2015 06:54 pm
@MMarciano,
Oof! Even my very ordinary market has them. But even in my market, they are seasonal - I just noticed them recently. I think I bought a big batch of them at Walmart when I made your recipe, if there's one anywhere around you. I'm no Walmart fan, but I go there a couple of times a year for something, since it's not too far away.
As you can tell, I loved that recipe.

0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2015 07:08 pm
Yes it’s true. I made a big pot of sausage and chicken gumbo and served it over rice. I forgot to bookmark the recipe but it came out fabulous.

http://oi58.tinypic.com/rs7vat.jpg

http://oi59.tinypic.com/15dqq6s.jpg
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2015 07:45 pm
@MMarciano,
I know! Every parent is looking forward to September and start of school.
We (mothers) used to go celebrate right after drop off....

Routine is so important for any child, I am glad you're exercising that.

jcboy, your gumbo looks so good, done like a native Louisianan....
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2015 10:45 pm
Cherries are in season now and they're so sweet and juicy. I made Clafoutis - easy to make, not too sweet and delicious. (not my picture)

http://www.pastrycraftseattle.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Clafoutis-on-plate.jpg
jcboy

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2015 04:32 pm
@CalamityJane,
Tonight we’re all going out for dinner.

Last night Alicia chose what she wanted for dinner. She wanted fish sticks with potato salad. Well I wasn’t going to buy frozen fish sticks so I picked up some fresh tilapia filets, breaded them and fried. I didn’t have time to make potato salad and since Gelson’s sells their own and it’s actually very good I used store bought.

http://oi61.tinypic.com/28i6vj8.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2015 05:52 pm
@jcboy,
Gelson's! I miss it so. I used to go to the one in Marina del Rey. Do they still sell spinach knishes? It was about six blocks from our house, very walkable except it was a hugely busy intersection filled with aggravating and aggravated drivers. Easier to drive there than chance walking across the intersection.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2015 06:00 pm
@ossobuco,
Dinner - bowl of my pork/beans/tomatoes/greens stew with mad pink rice.
farmerman

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2015 07:17 pm
@ossobuco,
how do you make pink rice angry?
ossobuco

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2015 08:13 am
@farmerman,
Overcook it...

That's what I call madagascar pink rice. I thought that might get a rise. I get it in my store's bulk rice section, where they have some other rices I like too - forbidden black rice, volcano rice, bhutan red, etc.
farmerman

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2015 02:19 pm
@ossobuco,
I never really got into th fine points of ric'es. When I was in the orient, their ideas of "breakfast" (at least at hotels) was the large central table with many kinds of rice, some sticky, some with a sweet liquid, others with a bit of a spice that went well with the little tiny dried fish an nook mam or (whatever the local fish sauce name ws).
In the US, I am a total nut over wild "rice" (yeh I know its not a real rice) but its so nutty flavored.
Outside of that, Ive forgotten what I was ever exposed to wrt rices.

farmerman

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2015 02:21 pm
@CalamityJane,
weve been surviving on cherries for the last month. The new cherry varietals have extended what used to be a two week season when I was a kid, to about 2 months in the summer(our summer)
Sweet cherries of several varieties have made my gullet a total fermentation machine.
They are delicious (and expeditious)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2015 03:16 pm
@farmerman,
For anybody curious about these rices, Lotus Foods is one of the purveyors. I figure the rice I get in bulk bins in not among their organics, and they may not even be from Lotus Foods as a source - but many of their Lotus's rices are.
http://www.lotusfoods.com/index.php/farmers/organic-farmers/

To me, the question is do they taste good.
Yes.
There's lots more online about all this.

0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2015 07:30 am
The Puerto Rican will be making Sunday dinner tonight. I asked him what he’s making and he said I’d find out when it’s served on the table.

Well okay then.
MMarciano

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2015 10:17 am
@jcboy,
And don't be snooping around the fridge either! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2015 12:28 pm
Just hand over the apron, jcboy and take a nap until dinner is ready Wink

@farmerman, I love cherries too and they're so delicious this season - very ripe and juicy.