Dinner tonight - or last night.

jcboy

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2015 05:54 pm
@CalamityJane,
I already peaked. He has a beef stew with peas and carrots in the oven and he’s serving it over egg noodles. Cool
jcboy

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2015 06:51 pm
@jcboy,
I showed this online recipe to Alicia and she thinks it sounds delicious. Hmmm I’m not so sure.

Spaghetti Pie Casserole Recipe
ehBeth

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2015 07:07 pm
@jcboy,
it's a cousin of lasagna and mac and cheese

just different pasta and cheese Very Happy

interesting how many kids like the basic combo - pasta, ground meat and any form of cooked tomatoes were on my ''do not eat'' when I was a kid
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 06:27 pm
just had a giant bowl of faux real ramen

Very Happy

that makes sense. right? right!

started by sauteeing a couple of shanghai bok choy (sliced), a small yellow pepper (diced), a big double handful of sliced portabello mushroom

threw in a diced leftover bratwurst and half a rotisserie chicken breast

once the bok choy was wilted, I added about 4 cups of water and a package of chicken ramen noodles, added garlic and soy sauce as it all simmered away madly

pretty, reasonably healthy, and delicious
jcboy

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2015 03:50 pm
@ehBeth,
We're all going out to dinner. Not sure where yet, I know I want sushi. Cool
jcboy

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2015 07:40 pm
@jcboy,
And dinner was lovely. We all had miso soup, salad and split tuna teriyaki and a large serving of sushi. Now Antonio is use to having sushi and he loves it and we have now gotten the two little ones use to it.

You just don’t tell them it’s raw fish and they will eat it up.

http://oi59.tinypic.com/dop8o0.jpg

http://oi60.tinypic.com/sn05eo.jpg

http://oi59.tinypic.com/1237676.jpg
glitterbag

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2015 07:58 pm
@jcboy,
Well, it was a long day, a little stressful but we had Nathan's Hot Dogs tonight. It's all good.
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2015 08:03 pm
@glitterbag,
Same here - it was a long day and we went out to our local Thai restaurant,
one of the best in town. A hole in the wall and through word of mouth it has gotten so busy now.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2015 08:31 pm
It was a short day (kidding, just trying to be different), and I just finished a strange and wonderful quesadilla - flour tortillas filled with provolone cheese, some cheddar cheese, yellow pepperoncini/sliced, some prev sauteed spicy (turmeric) collard greens.

Hmm, that might be good mixed with scrambled eggs and a tortilla wrap.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2015 10:37 pm
@jcboy,
Now I'm craving sushi pizza and my Happy Sushi place won't be open for another 11 hours Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

EqualityFLSTPete

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 05:47 am
@jcboy,
Reminds me of our sushi days at Hooks in St Pete Sad
jcboy

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 07:40 am
@EqualityFLSTPete,
I miss Hook's Razz

I’m trying to decide what to make for Sunday dinner. I was thinking of roasting a turkey breast if I can find a fresh one. They always have the frozen turkey breast at the market. Or I might make a beef brisket with mashed potatoes. Sometimes the market is out of briskets. The guy at the meat counter told me they usually get them in on Tuesdays and they’re usually gone by the weekend. Must be a large Jewish community in this area. Cool
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 05:27 am
Went to the Farmers Market on Saturday. We were there when they were closing so we got tons of stuff they just needed to get rid of. Very happy thing...So I was looking for something to do with all the eggplant. Alton Brown says it makes a good pasta like dish. When it is cut like this it is like linguine - and I must say it was delicious. I broiled salmon and we had a great dinner. Don't get to do this kind of thing too often. We are just too busy running around...but I love it when we do get to do it.

A friend shared this recipe on Facebook:

Eggplant Pasta

Ingredients
1 large eggplant, about 1 pound
Kosher salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 small tomato, seeded and chopped
3 tablespoons heavy cream
1 tablespoon basil, chiffonade
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
1 tablespoon breadcrumbs
Instructions
Peel the eggplant, leaving 1-inch of skin at the top and bottom. Slice the eggplant lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. (I would use a mandolin for this.)
Place the eggplant slices on a cooling rack set over the sink and generously sprinkle with kosher salt. Wait 15 minutes, flip, sprinkle again and wait another 15 minutes. Rinse thoroughly under cool water and gently squeeze out excess water. Place on paper towels and pat dry, then cut the slices into 1/4-inch-wide strips so that they resemble linguine.
Heat a 10-inch saute pan over medium-high heat and add the oil. When it shimmers, add the garlic and red pepper flakes and toss for 10 seconds. Add the eggplant and toss to coat. Add the tomato and toss for 15 to 20 seconds. Add the cream and toss for another 10 seconds. Finish with the bail and Parmesan. Transfer to a serving dish, top with breadcrumbs, toss and serve immediately.
By Good Eats: The Early Years, © Alton Brown Images 2015
mismi

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 05:29 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
just had a giant bowl of faux real ramen

Very Happy

that makes sense. right? right!

started by sauteeing a couple of shanghai bok choy (sliced), a small yellow pepper (diced), a big double handful of sliced portabello mushroom

threw in a diced leftover bratwurst and half a rotisserie chicken breast

once the bok choy was wilted, I added about 4 cups of water and a package of chicken ramen noodles, added garlic and soy sauce as it all simmered away madly

pretty, reasonably healthy, and delicious

This sounds great. Need to try it.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2015 04:44 pm
Last night Elena was here watching the kids and made them dinner and played games with them so the Rican and I were able to get out of the house to have a nice dinner alone. We went to Bonefish Grill, the food is actually very good. We had the bang bang shrimp, rainbow trout and ahi tuna steak.

Tonight the Rican is cooking, he’s making chicken piccata.

http://oi59.tinypic.com/2upfjfo.jpg

http://oi57.tinypic.com/jt9vye.jpg

http://oi59.tinypic.com/2z888x1.jpg

http://oi57.tinypic.com/2hwzgq1.jpg
ehBeth

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2015 05:18 pm
@mismi,
veggie pastas like this tend to be yummy

will have to try the eggplant version
EqualityFLSTPete

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2015 06:08 am
@jcboy,
I could pay my mortgage with your dining out budget.

Last night we had Mexican food from Red Mesa Cantina!

jcboy

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2015 07:49 am
@EqualityFLSTPete,
Red Mesa was the only place you could get decent Mexican food in St. Pete Cool

0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2015 02:55 pm
@EqualityFLSTPete,
Well I was going to cook but now you got me thinking of going out for Mexican food for tonight. Razz
EqualityFLSTPete

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2015 05:49 pm
@jcboy,
Nut Laughing