I LOVE tuxedo cats

Mind you, tabbies are great.

msolga

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 08:49 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
I LOVE tuxedo cats

Yes, me, too.
But I'd just had a very sad experience with my last tuxedo (ongoing very serious illness) and ....
Sigh.

So I wanted a little one year old grey tabby because grey tabbies are are usually the most abandoned cats & the most difficult to find new homes for.
Amazing that there was not one single tabby available for adoption the week I turned up at Lort Smith (animal shelter & hospital)!
That's gotta be one for the Guinness Book of Records! Wink

roger

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 09:53 pm
@msolga,
Those grey tabbies are incredibly scarce around here. They are probably popular just because the look so catlike.
msolga

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 10:00 pm
@roger,
Is that so, roger?
That's interesting.

I think they haven't been too popular around here because they are so common ... in the sense of being considered a "dime a dozen", not particularly unique or "special" in any way.

Apart from liking them a lot, I admire their toughness & resilience.

My oldest ever tabby reached the grand old age of 23. With not a day's sickness in her life! Apart from becoming very frail & wobbly towards the end of her life.
dlowan

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 10:04 pm
@msolga,
A run on tabbies.

Cool.

I know why you love them.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 10:05 pm
@dlowan,
When I recently spent time with my best friend and her family, there were five cats in residence. There are supposed to be four at a max (family agreement).

An order had been placed for a savannah kitten as one of the cats has been ill with kidney disease ... they were told to expect weeks ... new food ... new meds ... amazing improvement ... kitten was ready ... now there are five cats sleeping in the cat tree on a sunny afternoon ... and I'm loaded up on Benadryl when I go to the farm on Sydenham Road.
roger

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 10:10 pm
@msolga,
Don't matter. Seems like ugly cats are attracted to me, anyway.
dlowan

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 10:28 pm
@ehBeth,
I am beginning to wonder if there is a remote (extremely remote I'd say) chance that I may briefly have three...and what the hell I or Miranda is supposed to do then I have no idea!!!

I haven't really dared to aske the breeder when the kits will be ready. I am likely to be in the middle of six weeks spent mainly in the outback when they ARE ready, I suspect. I don't want their introduction to life with me to be over three weeks spent boarding, with a few days at home in between, so if they are ready mid-April I will ask if she can keep them until I am back on outback only one week in four.

But Miranda.....how to keep her life happy if two rambunctious kits arrive...she's too frail for mad kittens.
msolga

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 10:29 pm
@roger,
Ha, roger! Smile
roger

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 11:33 pm
@msolga,
Wink
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 07:12 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
But Miranda.....how to keep her life happy if two rambunctious kits arrive...she's too frail for mad kittens.

what we learned up at the farm was that two or three well-timed glares have been enough to keep the youngsters at bay - the Savannah kitten and young Siamese are not bothering with the elders at all, they're too busy knocking each other about

which is great, I'd be annoyed if anyone was annoying my old apple-head Siamese love
dlowan

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 07:17 am
@ehBeth,
She just spent several hours leaning against me and loving being stroked as I watched Weeds series 5.

Her ribs are visible and backbone are prominent, but she can still leap up to her sun spots.

And she is eating with enjoyment.

And, as far as I can tell, she's HAPPY.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 09:26 pm
Literary cats: How many of these famously bookish felines do you know?
http://www.csmonitor.com/Books/2011/0408/Literary-cats-How-many-of-these-famously-bookish-felines-do-you-know/Good-looking-feline
dlowan

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 09:33 pm
@tsarstepan,
3 out of 4.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 10:49 am
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/01Jg3Ru1r43yr/x610.jpg
A girl holds her cat during the fifteenth annual International cats exhibition in Minsk on April 9, 2011. More than forty breeds of cats attend an exhibition.
Photo: Getty Images

0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 03:36 pm
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01867/cat-thumb_1867739i.jpg
This is Clyde, a four-year-old feline from Salendine Nook in Yorkshire, who has 'thumbs' on his front paws. Most cats have five toes on each front paw and four toes on each hind leg. But 'polydactyl' cats like Clyde have extra digits. And now he's in line for a national "Cats with thumbs" contest. The contest, where the public vote for their favourite extra-toed moggy, has been set up to coincide with a TV commercial for Cravendale milk. The competition offers £1,000 to the polydactyl cat with the most votes. Clyde's owners, Sean and Gina Jagger, hope their kitty's bonus toes will earn him some cash when the winner is announced on April 25.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 06:22 am
@msolga,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIDxNoibAGg
Irishk

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 09:42 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
Laughing
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2011 12:11 am
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01867/cat-thumb_1867739i.jpg
This is Clyde, a four-year-old feline from Salendine Nook in Yorkshire, who has 'thumbs' on his front paws. Most cats have five toes on each front paw and four toes on each hind leg. But 'polydactyl' cats like Clyde have extra digits. And now he's in line for a national "Cats with thumbs" contest. The contest, where the public vote for their favourite extra-toed moggy, has been set up to coincide with a TV commercial for Cravendale milk. The competition offers £1,000 to the polydactyl cat with the most votes. Clyde's owners, Sean and Gina Jagger, hope their kitty's bonus toes will earn him some cash when the winner is announced on April 25.

They seriously need to start breeding this genetic fluke into the cat population. Very Happy
dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2011 05:32 am
@tsarstepan,
NOOOO!

Once they can open the cans.....
0 Replies