Recommend a new or newish film you've seen fairly recently.

msolga

Wed 24 Sep, 2008 03:13 am
@ehBeth,
Ya know, ehBeth, I haven't even heard of Igor, or Burn After Reading. Come to think of it, they may not have even hit our movie theatres (in Oz) yet. Thank you for putting some fresh movie suggestions this way! I will definitely keep an eye out for them.
ehBeth

Sat 27 Sep, 2008 09:07 am
@msolga,
Watching Between Two Notes on the Documentary Channel.

http://www.nfb.ca/web428x321/Films/53462/53462_01.jpg

Extraordinary.

http://www.jamesweggreview.org/reviews/filmdvdvideo/between_two_notes.html

this portion was amazing

Quote:
The storied past and current state of the art of “classical” Arab music (although it seems more like “traditional”) is examined from Egypt to Israel, Lebanon to Syria using Iraq and the Tigris & Euphrates Rivers as the geographical cantus firmus. In the early going, clips from black & white television are an especial treat for the eye and the ear: Oum Koulsoum’s rendition of “Al Zaman”"resplendent in a glittering gown that would make Liberace drool"brought the SRO crowd to its feet; Mohammed Abdelwahab and his orchestra broadcast from a studio set that would have been perfectly suitable for Lawrence Welk.
dlowan

Sat 27 Sep, 2008 04:37 pm
@msolga,
Burn after Reading is here...or very nearly so. It's been heavily pushed in trailers.
dagmaraka

Sat 27 Sep, 2008 05:01 pm
@dlowan,
I just saw that new picture called The Pirates of the Caribbean.

Yes, I don't watch TV or movies much.
msolga

Sun 28 Sep, 2008 03:24 am
@ehBeth,
Oh that looks interesting! I will watch out for it.
Thanks, ehBeth!
msolga

Sun 28 Sep, 2008 03:26 am
@dagmaraka,
And what did you make of it, dag?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 28 Sep, 2008 08:37 am
@msolga,
Between Two Notes was much better (to my eye and ear and taste) than either of the two BIG films I'd just seen.

It has continued to run in the small film festival circuit over the last 12 - 18 months. You might find it (and some other good films) that way.

(if you can ask your library to bring movies in for you, it's one I'd really really recommend)
msolga

Mon 29 Sep, 2008 12:00 am
@ehBeth,
I will make a request to my library, ehBeth. They've bought books I've requested so why not DVDs?
Thanks again. Very keen to see it now!
0 Replies

msolga

Sat 11 Oct, 2008 03:42 am
Finally got to the cinema today after months & months of not having the time to! Very Happy
I saw Caramel, a film set in a beauty salon in Beirut. The action, drama & humor revolve around the lives of the women working there. Engaging, attractive characters , each with their own story. What interested me most was the insight into women's lives in Beurut & the images of the city itself. I enjoyed it.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/02/01/arts/01cara600.jpg

http://movies.nytimes.com/2008/02/01/movies/01cara.html
msolga

Sat 11 Oct, 2008 04:07 am
Catching up here on films at my local movie place. Anyone seen any of the following (which looked rather interesting)? Recommendations?:

Towelhead

American Teen

Lemon Tree

The Visitor

dlowan

Sat 11 Oct, 2008 05:04 am
@msolga,
Saw The Visitor.

Very good...

Off to see The Duchess tomorrow.
mac11

Sat 11 Oct, 2008 05:08 pm
@dlowan,
I thought The Duchess was wonderful, though sad. What did you think?
littlek

Sat 11 Oct, 2008 05:12 pm
I saw an newish (emphasis on ish) movie last weekend: The Great Debaters. It was indeed great. The debaters featured were black college students in the 1930s who debated at both black and white colleges.
dlowan

Sat 11 Oct, 2008 05:29 pm
@mac11,
I am going this afternoon.

It IS Webster's The Duchess of Malfi, right??????

It's 9.58 am here, on Sunday.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sat 11 Oct, 2008 05:32 pm
@msolga,
Caramel's on my shortlist. It's been very popular among the bellydancing community here.
msolga

Sat 11 Oct, 2008 10:08 pm
@dlowan,
OK, Deb. The Visitor is now on definitely my must see list!
0 Replies

msolga

Sat 11 Oct, 2008 10:10 pm
@mac11,
Do tell me more about the Duchess, mac & Deb! I know nothing about this one.
msolga

Sat 11 Oct, 2008 10:12 pm
@littlek,
Sounds very interesting, k!
Is it a documentary or a regular movie?
dlowan

Sun 12 Oct, 2008 03:10 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Do tell me more about the Duchess, mac & Deb! I know nothing about this one.

Well well.

'Twas about Georgiana Duchess of Devonshire, in the time of Fox the Prime Minister, and about the awfulness of being female legally and emotionally, and how one might transcend it.

Very reflective of the modern day Diana tarradiddle.

Here's Rotten Tomatoes on it:

http://au.rottentomatoes.com/m/10009493-duchess/

Go for it.

I swear there's been a Duchess of Malfi on film relatively recently, though.

The next New Thing is can the film version of Brideshead Revisited POSSIBLY match the TV production???? (Which I largely missed....)
dagmaraka

Sun 12 Oct, 2008 03:23 am
@msolga,
I recently watched Alexander the Great -- that one should have been called Alexander th Looong (no, not for any physical features of the main character). It was 3 hours or so while I expected 1.5 or so...so it stretched into infinity and beyond. But I enjoyed the scenery in the movie, the acting was not convincing and characters weak. Oh well.

I did enjoy the Babel though - even Brad Pitt didn't get on my nerves there. Maybe because they made him look older and tired.