The Clear Vision of Ronald Reagan

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 04:04 pm
Quote:
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.

Ronald Reagan
40th president of US (1911 - 2004)

And by the way, that doesn't just refer to bringing domestic lawsuits, it also refers to employing the military against enemies in wars in which people die.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,135 • Replies: 106
No top replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 04:09 pm
Aaaah, horseshit.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 04:11 pm
kickycan wrote:
Aaaah, horseshit.

I don't suppose you'd care to actually state why it's wrong, or what is wrong about it? One assumes that your argument is indefensible beyond the level of darting in for a little exclamation.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 04:14 pm
Actually, I just felt like screwing with you. Hehehe...sorry, couldn't resist.

Carry on.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 04:17 pm
kickycan wrote:
Actually, I just felt like screwing with you. Hehehe...sorry, couldn't resist.

Carry on.

Yes, sir.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 04:54 pm
edited for excessive hatefullness. I didn't care for the guy even though I vot4ed for him in 1980.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 04:59 pm
If there is a God, Reagan is burning in hell for what he did in Central America.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 05:02 pm
I agree with that, bvt, and have also been particularly riled since he orchestrated installation of tuition at the previously free to all who qualified University of California. Primo education open to all Californians who were ready for it (I know testing is an area for discussion), to me a basis for equalizing opportunity and, get this, trickling down scholarship. I would never have gotten thru the university but that I was older by a bit when that death knell fell.

Edit..
Education is by nature freeing, and the pricing out of higher education is a blow against freedom. It is much more important to me than, say, many many wars.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 05:02 pm
R Reagan had some of the best script writers of any president.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 05:03 pm
ebrown, yes, that too.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 05:33 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
If there is a God, Reagan is burning in hell for what he did in Central America.

Nice, ebrown.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 05:33 pm
Actually, I was hoping you'd comment on the thread topic, Reagan's quotation together with my clarification. You folks always try your best to chase me out of any thread in which I am off topic, so I thought maybe you'd practice what you preach and stick to the direction outlined in my original post:

Brandon9000 wrote:
Quote:
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.

Ronald Reagan
40th president of US (1911 - 2004)

And by the way, that doesn't just refer to bringing domestic lawsuits, it also refers to employing the military against enemies in wars in which people die.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 05:38 pm
I was kinda curious how you knew what Mr. Reagan and/or his script-writers meant.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 06:06 pm
ehBeth wrote:
I was kinda curious how you knew what Mr. Reagan and/or his script-writers meant.

I know you want to avoid giving an actual position on the topic, but let's just call it my take on his comment.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 06:12 pm
What topic?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 06:13 pm
You're assuming just a bit about what I want or don't want, Brandon.

What you posted initially was your interpretation of Mr. Reagan's statement, is that right?

Saying that you were clarifying his statement isn't quite the same as saying you are offering your take.

I wondered if there was, somewhere, a record of a discussion by Mr. Reagan saying what he meant when he made that statement. That was how I read your initial post, and it didn't really make sense to me.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 06:23 pm
ehBeth wrote:
You're assuming just a bit about what I want or don't want, Brandon.

What you posted initially was your interpretation of Mr. Reagan's statement, is that right?

Saying that you were clarifying his statement isn't quite the same as saying you are offering your take.

I wondered if there was, somewhere, a record of a discussion by Mr. Reagan saying what he meant when he made that statement. That was how I read your initial post, and it didn't really make sense to me.

Okay. Do you have any opinion about his statement or mine?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 06:26 pm
I think it's already come to pass.

We are more than a generation past Mr. Reagan, and the people in the U.S. are not as free as they once were.

His writers seem to have seen what was coming down the trail in the U.S.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

That is my read of his statement as you posted it.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 06:27 pm
If I could take the time to comment, I would agree with ebrown and also hope that Reagan is burning in hell. And nothing pleases me more than realizing that at some point in the future Dubya will join him and the two bastards can by probed by Satan's trident 'til time expires.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 06:32 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:

I couldn't make any sense of how this related to Mr. Reagan's statement at all.

~~~~~~~~~

OssoB actually said it best.
0 Replies