Robert Allen Zimmerman aka BOB DYLAN

Mathos

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 07:30 am
The gardener passed away recently which was a nuisance at this time of year especially. However, life must go on. He had no known next of kin and I passed his details onto my legal advisers to issue the procedural newspaper advertisements which will undoubtedly result in un-warranted intrusion onto my estate. It was necessary to supervise the emptying of his accommodation cottage set in a pleasant glade some six hundred yards to the west of The Gate Lodge which accommodates the caretaker and his partner who secures a reasonable level of benefits acting as my gamekeeper.
Mrs Ellis my senior housekeeper located amongst the clutter of empty Park Drive packets, half completed puzzle books, empty cider bottles and various tools of the trade which should have been stored in the grounds maintenance building, a selection of Bob Dylan records which I decided to have sent up to the house. They were the only articles in the place which were deemed reasonable in not being liner bagged and stored in the timber shed which stands alone by the cottage. Some of the titles found amongst this collection appealed to my inquisitive nature.
Positively 4th Street
Masters Of War
Its all over now baby blue
Standing on the highway
Talking bear mountain picnic massacre blues
Like a rolling stone
The times they are a changing
I'll be your baby tonight
Highway 61 revisited.

I played a selection of this music and experienced great difficulty in actually being able to understand the lyrics, it appeared the vocalist Dylan, if you wish to refer to him in that name was attempting to put a message across. I checked him out in my universal dictionary and apart from telling me he was using an alias from his original title of Robert Allen Zimmerman born in USA. He is referred to as a singer and songwriter. His protest songs with their plaintive surrealism made him a notable figure in music industry in the mid 1960'sa. Can any of you philosophers enlighten me regarding this character, who has stirred my interests ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 19,848 • Replies: 351
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 07:44 am
Mathos - Welcome to A2K! Very Happy

Boy, I MUST be getting old. I didn't think that there was anyone who wouldn't know who Bob Dylan was. He was the troubadour of the 1960's who put the thoughts of young people of that time to music.

http://www.bobdylan.com/songs/

Click on the songs, and you will see the lyrics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Dylan

This site has a good bio and links.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 07:59 am
more important than that, who's taking care of the spring thatching and planting? The reseeding of the turf? The feeding of the perennials and planting of the annuals. My God man, this is no time for reflection, this is a time when men of action act.

Send your Major Domo downtown and pick up some migrants quickly. This is a Code Red!!!!!
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 11:40 am
Phoenix, many thanks for your warm greeting.
Zimmerman may well be an icon of the 60's. I am desirous to know more about him as a person. It is not so much his lyrics and nasal renderings which interest me, it is purely his background and apparent climb to fame from small town if not Hicksville America to his present position which are my concern.
Blueveindthrobber, I would have been lacking in my duties as owner and controller of The Estate had I not established alternative cover for garden maintenance in the first instance following Jackson's untimely passing. You show signs of extreme panic and anxiety my dear friend. Relax and accept the diversions life has to offer us. A challenge is remarkable food for the soul.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 11:47 am
Mathos wrote:
Phoenix, many thanks for your warm greeting.
Zimmerman may well be an icon of the 60's. I am desirous to know more about him as a person. It is not so much his lyrics and nasal renderings which interest me, it is purely his background and apparent climb to fame from small town if not Hicksville America to his present position which are my concern.
Blueveindthrobber, I would have been lacking in my duties as owner and controller of The Estate had I not established alternative cover for garden maintenance in the first instance following Jackson's untimely passing. You show signs of extreme panic and anxiety my dear friend. Relax and accept the diversions life has to offer us. A challenge is remarkable food for the soul.

Why ask about Bob Dylan's history on a philosophy forum? And why are you writing in such a bizarre way? It seems like you're trying to be formal, but failing. Why bother? Or is this a joke?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 11:54 am
Whatever it is, we thrive on this stuff here at A2k. Welcome whoever you are.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 12:05 pm
Now that I know you have done the right thing, I am perfectly relaxed and at ease. Good form. By all means direct your man to cover the blooms though, because I understand a hard rain's going to fall.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 03:10 pm
Mathis- If you scroll down on the Wikipedia site that I linked, I think that you will find a lot of background information on him.

Quote:
I checked him out in my universal dictionary and apart from telling me he was using an alias from his original title of Robert Allen Zimmerman born in USA.

"Bob Dylan" is not an "alias". Like many other entertainers, he has coined a "stage name"

From the wikipedia site:

During his Dinkytown days Zimmerman began introducing himself as Bob Dylan. It has been suggested this choice was a tribute to the Welsh poet Dylan Thomas. Dylan has often denied this, claiming in 1965 that he took the name from an uncle named Dillon. He added "I've read some of Dylan Thomas' stuff, and it's not the same as mine." In his 2004 biography, "Chronicles Vol.1", however, Dylan admits that Dylan Thomas was relevant to his choice of alias (although he still acknowledges no influence or tribute, saying only that "Dylan" sounds like "Allen," his middle name and original choice for a surname de plume).
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 03:25 pm
Agrote, your approach to a novice is harsh, I sought sensible and detailed information regarding Zimmerman and considered that the 'brains' of the forum would be within this circle. The post is new, I am confident that there will be at least one amongst you able to satiate my appetite Panzade I appreciate your comments and salute you as a gentleman for the warmth of your welcome.
Blueveinedthrobber, your recognition of my appropriate action is kindly received, we shall worry for the blooms in the months of June, July & August. Until then we enjoy.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 03:42 pm
Zimmerman
Dear Phoenix, it's Mathos by the way, Thank you again for the information, the site is interesting but not conclusive. What is known of Zimmerman as a person? Where did he obtain his range of knowledge on so many subjects, he was far to young to have experienced so much of life? Is he guilty of plagiarism? The contents of research into this poet are limitless, what an interesting man he be.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 03:59 pm
Yes...interesting. A few personal observations. My parents hoisted him on me when I was little and I had an adverse reaction. Later I realized the genius.
For my generation he provided the soundtrack.
Finally,
If you want to see the ass that is a young Dylan, rent "Don't Look Back" a fine Pennebaker documentary.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 04:07 pm
A LOT has been written by and about Bob Dylan. Go to www.amazon.com and search "Bob Dylan" in "Books". I found over 400 tomes written either by or about the singer.

I would have left a link, but somehow it did not work.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 04:26 pm
Mathos wrote:
Agrote, your approach to a novice is harsh, I sought sensible and detailed information regarding Zimmerman and considered that the 'brains' of the forum would be within this circle. The post is new, I am confident that there will be at least one amongst you able to satiate my appetite Panzade I appreciate your comments and salute you as a gentleman for the warmth of your welcome.
Blueveinedthrobber, your recognition of my appropriate action is kindly received, we shall worry for the blooms in the months of June, July & August. Until then we enjoy.

This is an internet forum, why are you pretending you're speaking in the house of commons?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 04:48 pm
Perhaps that's just his style agrote.

Perhaps we shold discuss what it is about it that pushed your buttons so.

Were you hurt by a member of Parliament or Lord of the manor growing up? If so let's talk about it and work through it. In just a few short days I have come to believe this is a warm and caring group and I would certainly feel comfortable discussing anything personal or painful with them.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 05:04 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
Perhaps that's just his style agrote.

Perhaps we shold discuss what it is about it that pushed your buttons so.

Were you hurt by a member of Parliament or Lord of the manor growing up? If so let's talk about it and work through it. In just a few short days I have come to believe this is a warm and caring group and I would certainly feel comfortable discussing anything personal or painful with them.

Yeah when I was 3 I was walking in the park with my mum, and suddenly an ordinary man dressed as an MP flew right at me and started trying to speak really formally, but failed completely because he had no grasp of Standard English (or Standard American English) - I had nothing against people choosing not to speak formally, because there's rarely any need to, and there's nothing wrong with speaking in your regional dialect, internet sociolect, or whatever. But I was shocked so much by the fake MP's ridiculous attempts to sound intelligent and polite and all that that I ran away screaming, and ever since that day I've had a phobia of people who try to speak formally in inappropriate situations and fail completely.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 05:32 am
Thank you again Phoenix & Panzade. I appreciate your assistance but I am attempting to delve much deeper. Have we a genius in our midst with Zimmerman or could he be a fraud, guilty of plagiarism? Blueveinthrobber appears to have hit the nail on the head first clout with regards to Agrote. My commiserations Agrote, you appear to have a bellicose nature towards me and I sympathise with you accordingly. Obviously some deed in your past has caused the problems you encounter. May I enquire, 'Are you racist by chance?'
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 06:13 am
Mathos- The only way that you can learn more about him than the suggestions I have made is to actually make his acquaintance.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 06:21 am
Phoenix, Dear lady,
You have an air of mystique about you. I would like to accommodate this gentleman for a while, however, it appears that he is extremely reluctant to speak, I am informed that he never orates to his audience whilst on stage. Simply plays his guitar and sings.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 06:42 am
Well Mathos , old boy,
I cannot assist you any further on your trip to find the soul of Robert Zimmerman so I will bid adieu. And bon voyage.

http://img64.exs.cx/img64/6009/scruffybob8bn.jpg
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 07:01 am
Re: Zimmerman
Mathos wrote:
Dear Phoenix, it's Mathos by the way, Thank you again for the information, the site is interesting but not conclusive. What is known of Zimmerman as a person? Where did he obtain his range of knowledge on so many subjects, he was far to young to have experienced so much of life? Is he guilty of plagiarism? The contents of research into this poet are limitless, what an interesting man he be.

I am not convinced this inquiry is genuiune, however, first of all, call him Dylan, because no one except maybe his mother calls him Zimmerman. He left home in his teens for New York City and began playing in night clubs. He used to travel out to the sanitorium where his hero, legendary folk artist Woody Guhtrie, was dying and play for him. Dylan was signed by a record label very quickly. He is not guilty of plagiarism, he is a genius. Although, interestingly, he used to tell fantastical made up stories of his life history to reporters.
0 Replies