Can I get arrested?

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 02:23 pm
I saw an instagram model that I was attracted to and noticed she had her snapchat on her profile. As a man, I did not think with my head and was thinking with other parts. Her pictures aroused me and I sent her a nude pic on snapchat. She messaged me back saying she will call the police on me for sexual harassment. Do you think that will really happen? Am I screwed?

contrex

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 02:38 pm
You'll soon find out.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 02:39 pm
@davidson2346,
Assuming you are in the US... I doubt very much you will get into legal trouble for sending one pic. Harassment would be if you kept contacting her and sending more pictures after she told you to stop. Don't send her any more messages.

Just don't do it again.

davidson2346

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 02:42 pm
@maxdancona,
Yes I am in the US. She is from London and only here for a week
maxdancona

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 02:46 pm
@davidson2346,
To answer the question, you are not getting screwed (in either sense of the word).
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 03:19 pm
@davidson2346,
Check your local law on the matter. Between consenting adults is one thing, but she didn't ask for you to intrude inn her world and if she was clothed, you, without a doubt crossed a line.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 03:31 pm
@Sturgis,
Bullshit Sturgis. The question is "can I get arrested?". For one picture, the answer is "no". If your goal is to express disapproval, than fine express disapproval.

But the fact is that no has gotten arrested for a single unsolicited nude pic to an adult. If you want to disagree, how about a single news article about such an arrest being made. I can give you articles of people sending unsolicited nude pictures without getting arrested... for example Anthony Wiener. People send each other unsolicited nude pictures, it is not that uncommon. Some people even enjoy receiving them. And if the participants are adults, it is not illegal.

This is a factual question with a straightforward answer. The answer is that for a single picture... the OP has nothing to worry about.

If you guys are trying to scare this guy straight by lying to him... then I am sorry the facts don't support your effort.

Sturgis

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 03:48 pm
@maxdancona,
I am neither approving nor disapproving, merely pointing out that laws vary.

Then again, I don't parade around as a sanctimonious genius the way you do.

Check local laws, always check local laws. In some jurisdictions, a person can be charged with harassment, even if it's just one photo, if it was not requested .

maxdancona

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 03:55 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
In some jurisdictions, a person can be charged with harassment, even if it's just one photo, if it was not requested .

After calling me a "sanctimonious genius" you make this unfounded claim as if it were a fact. Can you give me a single example of where a person has been charged with harassment because they sent a single nude picture to an adult?

I thought not.

This poster came to ask a question. The answer is that he has nothing real to worry about as long as he stops contacting the woman in question (which he should do anyway). Even if he wants to continuing harassing her, it would be a civil, not a criminal matter. She would probably have to get a restraining order on him in order to proceed legally. I don't recommend he continue sending pictures for moral reasons as much as legal ones, but if he did he would probably get away with it until there was a restraining order.

If you want to keep talking about what "some jurisdictions" do... then please, by all means, tell me a single jurisdiction where your claim is true and I will admit that I am wrong.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 08:24 am
@davidson2346,
davidson2346 wrote:

She messaged me back saying she will call the police on me for sexual harassment. Do you think that will really happen? Am I screwed?

You probably fine now. The legal issues take place if you continue sending in any perceived threatening bits of communication (texts, emails, photos, etc... of ANY kind beyond this point) after the initial warning she gave you.

You burned your bridge with the first illicit photo. Don't make it worse by continuing this unwanted and unsolicited communications. If you think any persistent communication is going to win her over at this point? That's legally actionable for her to drive the police straight to your door.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 08:38 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
That's legally actionable for her to drive the police straight to your door.

This is factually incorrect.

One of my friends had a rather persistent suitor (i.e. stalker). She went to the police, in liberal Massachusetts where violence against women is a popular political cause. The police were unable to do anything until there was a threat of violence, or a restraining order. They did provide free legal resources for her to get a restraining order, but until the restraining order was in place (which was made to happen pretty quickly), there was no way to prevent the creep from communicating with her.

Or course, a restraining order is a civil matter. Breaking a restraining order is a police matter.

But the claim that that sending communication is "legally actionable" is simply incorrect.

I agree with the sentiment that you should stop communicating with this woman who clearly doesn't want to interact with you. But I disagree with the fact that they feel like lying to you is warranted. The fact is that you have no reason to worry legally... and that you could likely be a much bigger jerk (if you chose) without any real fear of legal consequences.

You can back away because you are a decent person, not because you are afraid of the police.
0 Replies