Reasons for optimism

revelette2

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 07:32 am
@blatham,
Personally I am of the opinion the feature should be taken out. The people on this site are just too divided and depending on who shows up, posts gets thumbed up or down accordingly. It has nothing to do with the content of the post.
blatham

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 07:58 am
@revelette2,
Quote:
Personally I am of the opinion the feature [thumb up or thumb down] should be taken out.
I never use this feature anywhere I write. When I'm particularly fond of some contribution, I'll explicitly tell the person. And I think we've talked before about how such features can be susceptible to manipulation (though here that's not really a relevant concern).

But I do find use in the thing. John Cleese once spoke of an early period in Python where they filmed some of their skits with an audience. On one occasion, leaving the theater out a rear door after wrapping up a skit where (if I recall correctly) the Queen Mother was satirized in typical Python fashion, an elderly lady was waiting and began reigning blows on the boys with her umbrella. Cleese said, "That's when we knew we were doing it right".
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 08:01 am
The following was written 18 years ago.
Quote:
[M]embers of labor unions, and unorganized unskilled workers, will sooner or later realize that their government is not even trying to prevent wages from sinking or to prevent jobs from being exported. Around the same time, they will realize that suburban white-collar workers — themselves desperately afraid of being downsized — are not going to let themselves be taxed to provide social benefits for anyone else.

At that point, something will crack. The nonsuburban electorate will decide that the system has failed and start looking around for a strongman to vote for — someone willing to assure them that, once he is elected, the smug bureaucrats, tricky lawyers, overpaid bond salesmen, and postmodernist professors will no longer be calling the shots. …

One thing that is very likely to happen is that the gains made in the past 40 years by black and brown Americans, and by homosexuals, will be wiped out. Jocular contempt for women will come back into fashion. … All the resentment which badly educated Americans feel about having their manners dictated to them by college graduates will find an outlet.
http://nyti.ms/2eY7c02
revelette2

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 08:17 am
White Nationalism,’ Explained

Quote:
Eric Kaufmann, a professor of politics at Birkbeck University in London, has spent years studying the ways that ethnicity intersects with politics. While most researchers in that field focus on ethnic minorities, Professor Kaufmann does the opposite: He studies the behavior of ethnic majorities, particularly whites in the United States and Britain.

White nationalism, he said, is the belief that national identity should be built around white ethnicity, and that white people should therefore maintain both a demographic majority and dominance of the nation’s culture and public life.

So, like white supremacy, white nationalism places the interests of white people over those of other racial groups. White supremacists and white nationalists both believe that racial discrimination should be incorporated into law and policy.

Some will see the distinction between white nationalism and white supremacy as a semantic sleight of hand. But although many white supremacists are also white nationalists, and vice versa, Professor Kaufmann says the terms are not synonyms: White supremacy is based on a racist belief that white people are innately superior to people of other races; white nationalism is about maintaining political and economic dominance, not just a numerical majority or cultural hegemony.

For a long time, he said, white nationalism was less an ideology than the default presumption of American life. Until quite recently, white Americans could easily see the nation as essentially an extension of their own ethnic group.

But the country’s changing demographics, the civil rights movement and a push for multiculturalism in many quarters mean that white Americans are now confronting the prospect of a nation that is no longer built solely around their own identity.

For many white people, of course, the growing diversity is something to celebrate. But for others it is a source of stress. The white nationalist movement has drawn support from that latter group. Its supporters argue that the United States should protect its white majority by sharply limiting immigration, and perhaps even by compelling nonwhite citizens to leave.

A really good article which ties in to blatham's post with more both before and after the above.
revelette2

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 08:25 am
Trump’s chief of staff ‘not going to rule out’ a Muslim registry

Quote:
It was exactly one year ago that Donald Trump said he would “absolutely” implement forced registration for all Muslims living in the United States. Sunday morning, his chief of staff confirmed that the President-elect still isn’t ruling it out.

On Meet The Press, host Chuck Todd asked Reince Priebus whether he could equivocally rule out a registry for Muslims. He responded, “Look, I’m not going to rule out anything.”

From there, the former RNC chairman made a series of conflicting statements, often times trying to correct himself mid-sentence. He said, “We’re not going to have a registry based on a religion,” but he also said that Trump supports banning entry of people from any country that “harbors or trains terrorists.”

Todd pressed Priebus on the issue, citing a tweet from Trump’s National Security Adviser Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn that said that “fear of Muslims is rational.” Priebus seemed to indicate that Trump disagrees, because “he believes that no faith in and of itself should be judged as a whole,” but he still believes certain countries should be banned from allowing people to enter the United States.

In a separate interview Sunday morning on ABC’s This Week, Priebus similarly said of Islam, “Clearly there are some aspects of that faith that are problematic. And we know them. We’ve seen it. But it certainly isn’t a blanket for all people of that faith.”

The Trump transition team has sent many mixed messages in the past week about the President-elect’s stance on Muslim registration and immigration. On Tuesday night, Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach, who has advised Trump, again recommended a national database for Muslim immigrants. Trump surrogate Carl Higbie agreed Wednesday that it would be legal, citing Japanese internment camps set up during World War II.

Jason Miller, a spokesperson for the transition team, then claimed that Trump had “never advocated for any registry or system that tracks individuals based on their religion.” Miller’s statement is contradicted by a video of Trump blatantly endorsing such a registry.

The 2016 election spurred a record-high rate of hateful attacks on American Muslims. Those attacks spiked in the days following Trump’s election.

farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 08:47 am
@revelette2,
Its them damn Presbyterians. They all need to be registered and deported back to Massachusetts if w find some potential Biblical terrorists among em. Then them Evangelical United Brethren are next
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 08:55 am
. The observable fact here , detectable in even a quick scan of any even slightly contentious threads, is that most of the 'thumbing down' of posts comes from folks of liberal political disposition. Their vengance for presumed heretics & apostates, Lash for example, is especially severe. The wave of "below the viewing threshold" posts by Trump supporters or mere Hiullary doubters after the election results came in amply testifies to this, though the pattern can be seen on most threads.

Despite that, I found Blatham's & Revelette's complaints about the thumbing down 0f posts here quite touching. The poor dears deserve more consideration
blatham

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 09:00 am
@revelette2,
Quote:
White Nationalism,’ Explained
Great piece. Thank you.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 09:03 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Despite that, I found Blatham's & Revelette's complaints about the thumbing down 0f posts here quite touching. The poor dears deserve more consideration

Complaint? You are a poor reader, george.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 10:11 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

The following was written 18 years ago.
Quote:
....... One thing that is very likely to happen is that the gains made in the past 40 years by black and brown Americans, and by homosexuals, will be wiped out. Jocular contempt for women will come back into fashion. … All the resentment which badly educated Americans feel about having their manners dictated to them by college graduates will find an outlet.
http://nyti.ms/2eY7c02
Most people, college educated or not, don't like to have anything dictated to them, and certainly not by self-appointed elites. The arrogance and condesension evident throughout this piece, pasted here by Blatham was both readily apparent and offensive. It, however, well illustrates the core presumptions of so-called progressive politics.

The odd part is that any thinking person thought of it as informative or illuminating. That it wasn't instantly seen as a piece of self congratulating nonsense is a good deal more interesting than the specious content - typical stuff from the NYT.
blatham

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 10:19 am
The needle on my Acme Optimetrics Contrivance keeps going up and up and up
Quote:
As he stands in his gold-plated apartment in Trump Tower gazing out over Manhattan, Donald Trump has no doubt marveled at how in becoming president he has finally achieved the power and influence he so richly deserves. He always knew he was smarter than everyone else and more of a winner than all those nobodies who would carp and criticize, when they don't even have their own planes or are so weak they're still married to their first wives. He showed them all.

And now, it's time to really cash in. He's got the greatest business opportunity he's ever had, and he's not going to let it pass him by.

Surely you weren't naïve enough to believe him when Trump said his network of businesses and partnerships didn't pose any conflict-of-interest problems, because his grown children will run the business while he's president and he'll be completely focused on making America great. That was just something to tell the rubes, no more true than the promises a Trump University instructor would make to a mark as he browbeat them into maxing out their credit cards to move up to the Gold Elite seminar where the real investment secrets would be revealed.
http://prospect.org/article/greatest-grift-all

Not that the right wing audience is groomed for the grift. Heavens no!
Quote:
After explaining how he used "the same techniques" outlined in the Diabetes Solution Kit, Huckabee asks viewers to "sit tight, because in a moment a free presentation is coming up that’ll show you everything you need to know about the Diabetes Solution Kit so you can discover all the natural secrets that are backed by real science that really work."

That free presentation lasts more than 30 minutes, kicking off with a spokesman named Lon showing a picture of cinnamon rolls that "contain a real ingredient that reverses diabetes" and going on to berate insulin, diabetes pills and other injectables as treatments. (We sat through it so you don’t have to.)

The kit turns out to be booklets offering tips for eating, exercise, and yes, formulating dietary supplements — for the low, low price of $19.97.
http://bit.ly/2fi47TV
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 10:22 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
The odd part is that any thinking person thought of it as informative or illuminating. That it wasn't instantly seen as a piece of self congratulating nonsense is a good deal more interesting than the specious content - typical stuff from the NYT.
It is such a treat for me to engage another whose intellect is so penetrating and elevated above the norm.
georgeob1

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 10:27 am
@blatham,
That's likely a defect we both share Bernie. You just don't like mine when we disagree.
Lash

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 11:39 am
The undemocratic super delegate con is on the chopping block. The "Bernie Mafia" displaces the Clinton machine.

I can't imagine the establishment Dems giving away all their graft income. Right now, the progressives are running roughshod over the establishments.

There will either be an outright coup, or an approaching bloodletting. Interesting to watch. Will Schumer bend all the way for Bernie?

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/bernie-mafia-sanders-supporters-look-seize-democratic-party-initiative-n686531
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 03:32 pm
@georgeob1,
The point isn't disagreement on substance. Rather it is the facile manner in which you dismiss, and very often without careful attention to what you dismiss, analyses or commentary as "specious" or "nonsense" or "buffalo dust" or "hot air" or "sophistry" and almost always with out any specific address or counter argument to the individual ideas or claims advanced.

Quote:
That it wasn't instantly seen as a piece of self congratulating nonsense is a good deal more interesting than the specious content - typical stuff from the NYT.

Here, you not only fail to refute anything said, you advance an ad hominem re NYT and you seem to not have grasped that the Times writer is quoting from elsewhere. And how could it be "self congratulating" for Rorty to suggest political trends/outcomes years up the road?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 03:49 pm
Smart point by Brian Beutler here
Quote:
Most politicians in democratic systems appeal to voters much the way marketers do, tailoring a consistent message in different ways to reach different groups of people who have different value systems. Democrats, for instance, don’t talk about the need to combat climate change the same way to college students as they do to factory workers. Authoritarians like Trump, Stanley explained, operate much differently. They uncork rhetorical fantasies—inner city war zones, rigged electoral systems, hordes of terrorists and job thieves streaming across the southern border—that entice people to justify an agenda many of them wouldn’t normally support. “Donald Trump is trying to define a simple reality as a means to express his power,” Stanley wrote.

“The goal,” he added, “is to define a reality that justifies his value system, thereby changing the value systems of his audience.”

Letting Trump’s vile comments speak for themselves, in other words, isn’t bound to erode his support. It has the potential to enhance it.
http://bit.ly/2f08I1N
We certainly saw that happen to the extent where there has been, through the campaign and after the election, a rather scary increase in racial and religious bigotry manifesting openly.
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 04:16 pm
@blatham,
I'm starting to re register that I am plebeian, while I've not paid attention to all that for a while..
blatham

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 04:35 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I love that word. And I love it because of Cole Porter (Cry Me A River)

You drove me, nearly drove me, out of my head
While you never shed a tear
Remember, I remember, all that you said?
You told me love was too plebeian
Told me you were through with me and
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 06:52 pm
http://www.newyorker.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/CoverStory-Blitt-Newspaper-Revised-875x1200-1478270888.jpg
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2016 07:44 pm
@blatham,
I can't do the NYer now, so I reread old ones that I skipped or forgot, just this morning reading about Chechens.
Ah, well.