US-American view on refugees

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2016 09:46 am
@saab,
There have been local elections (on municipaility and district level) in the state of Hesse yesterday.
It will last until Thursday for the official final result (the electoral system in Hesse allows voters to submit up to 3 votes for one particular candidate or listing across to pick. Yesterday's election is counted in several passes: in a initial stage, the ballots are evaluated, in which only one record has been checked).
But the far right (and in some municipalities the neo-Nazis) are the big winners, with about 14% in average. And with just a single point as program: against refugees.

Now I understand even better, how the Nazis (NSDAP) got in power 80 years ago Evil or Very Mad
saab

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2016 10:22 am
@Walter Hinteler,
As a rule I have the impression that politicians forget about the "invisable" people.
They want to make an impression on the media, have the correct political ideas (they vary from time to time) and impress their followers.
They forget about those who are not so well to-do, the sick and underpriviliget.
All of a sudden someone comes who these people think listens to them and then we have a party either to the far right or left.
In Sweden we have Sweden Democrats. As we have a democracy this party has to be treated on equal level as the others. But they were not invited to the Nobel Prize. They are often left out on meetings. If they are treated like that they might get even more voters.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2016 10:43 am
@saab,
Such far-right wing, populist parties like the Swedish Democrats or the AfD here in Germany succeed unfortunately in destroying democracy ... using exactly that system which they don't want to have.
saab

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2016 11:42 am
@Walter Hinteler,
If do not discuss with them and let them take part in meetings how can other
politicians then tone down SD´s attitude.
Other parties to the left have become more liberal and more to the middle by taking part in politics on an equal level.
I think SD is less dangerous than AfD as the Swedes are basicly afraid of conflicts and so would SD be sooner or later.
0 Replies

seac

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2016 01:33 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Haven't read all the replies here. But I oppose having the West take in refugees from the Middle East. It is a big area they come from, couldn't we just help them settle in a new area there. And help them set up infrastructure to help themselves sustain a living.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2016 09:07 am
I realize no one has replied here in a while, but, I ran across this article this morning in thinkprogress. We may have run mostly all our old international friends off with our obsession with our election.

Doctors Without Borders Rejects All EU Funding: ‘We’re Talking About Europe’s Refugee Shame’

Quote:
“For months MSF has spoken out about a shameful European response focused on deterrence rather than providing people with the assistance and protection they need,” Jerome Oberreit, International Secretary General of Doctors Without Borders, which also goes by the French Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF), said in a release posted to the organization’s website. “The EU-Turkey deal goes one step further and has placed the very concept of “refugee” and the protection it offers in danger.”

The decision will take effect immediately, and will affect Doctors Without Borders projects worldwide. The organization said that this decision will not affect their patients, and that they will continue to work in Greece and near the Turkey-Syria border. They will seek other funding and use emergency funds to keep running.

In 2015, Doctors Without Borders received 56 million Euros from EU institutions and member states.

“It’s really important to see the real people instead of the political football that they have become,” Obereitt told reporters. “We’re talking about Europe’s refugee shame.”

I am wondering if this attitude has anything with the growing anti-EU (so to speak) sentiment which seems to be growing in the UK?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2016 09:43 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
I am wondering if this attitude has anything with the growing anti-EU (so to speak) sentiment which seems to be growing in the UK?

You couldn't be more wrong. MSF move is a humanitarian one. The leave campaign is full of racists and Little Englanders who don't want any refugees. They're pretty much exact opposites.
revelette2

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2016 10:07 am
@izzythepush,
Kind of what I meant, I didn't express myself well and I imagine you know worlds more than I do on the subject. I heard about the UK (is that the correct term to use here? I think UK means England, Scotland and Wales?) wanting to leave the EU. Sounds like our tea partiers.

From what I read the refugee crises in the worst since WW2. We have governors who refuse to accept them. (last I read, been a while, been caught up in our elections..) No one is wanting them. You think it is out the realms of possibilities to create a state like the UN did for Israel? Probably no place left. Perhaps in the interest of refugee crises, more extreme methods should be used in Syria?

ossobuco

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2016 10:08 am
@izzythepush,
I've an m.d. friend who has donated to MSF (doctors without borders) for decades. I would too if I was a person with discretionary money, thus I agree with izzythepush. From my off and on reading about them over the years, I trust their judgement re whose money to accept.

Re the Brexit stuff, I can somewhat see both sides re who gets to decide various matters, but am not for Britain leaving, and naturally am not fully aware of all the reasoning, or non-reasoning, going on.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2016 10:13 am
@revelette2,
We're having a referendum, and it is the UK, but that also includes Northern Ireland. Britain is just England Scotland and Wales. The referendum is a single issue campaign with support for both sides across the political divide, but the Leave campaign has a lot of teabagesque elements.
revelette2

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2016 11:01 am
@izzythepush,
Thank you for clarifying on what exactly constitutes the UK, it has always confused me.

Looked up on google (amazing how fast it is) on what you are taking about. I had no idea. The issue should be getting more press than it is, I imagine it is elsewhere and where you are located.

EU referendum: Baroness Warsi switches from Leave to Remain

Quote:
A former chairman of the Conservative Party has switched her support from the Leave campaign to Remain.

Baroness Warsi told the Times the "hate and xenophobia" of the Leave campaign was "a step too far".

She said she realised she could no longer support Leave when she saw UKIP's "breaking point" anti-EU poster.

Vote Leave said it was not aware Lady Warsi had joined its campaign, while Nigel Farage defended the poster, saying it was "the truth".

The UK's EU referendum: All you need to know
izzythepush

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2016 11:08 am
@revelette2,
It's getting a lot of press over here.
revelette2

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2016 11:15 am
@izzythepush,
I kinda figured that being as it such a big move being voted. I will be checking to see how it goes.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2016 08:34 am
It sure would be shame if the referendum to leave passes. The polls are saying it is too close to call according to Reuters
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2016 08:46 am
@revelette2,
Since a couple of months, there's a thread about BREXIT.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2016 11:32 am
@revelette2,
My nephew is a member of Doctors Without Borders, and he goes to third world countries to train other doctors in critical care. He's been going to Thimphu, Bhutan, the last couple of times. I was there some years ago when the king was coronated, and we were in the audience at a huge sports arena. I don't even know if he gets funding from Doctors Without Borders. He works at Queens Hospital in Honolulu. We stay at his place when we visit Hawaii. He lives in a two bedroom condo on the 40th floor not far from Waikiki beach. We usually go there with my sister and her husband.
revelette2

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2016 10:06 am
@cicerone imposter,
You usually have interesting anecdote's to share. My anecdotes would be somewhat tedious and common. Kudos on your nephew, it seems a needed organization he belongs to.
0 Replies