maxdancona

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2015 08:10 pm
@RABEL222,
The gun issue is going to be interesting. Bernie certainly needs to explain his position now and how it changed from his earlier positions.

He does get a D- from the NRA.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 01:34 am
@snood,
Are you saying that Bernie should NOT have allowed BLM on his podium, should NOT have allowed them to steal his show in California, and should NOT have changed one iota to his campaign?

Of course Bernie will respond to stuff happening. He's not a robot, and not an idiot either. But to say that he will do so "just like any other politician" or out of "political expediency" is dismissive. He did much much more for BLM than anybody else did, and he did so because he agreed with them, not to get some brownie points.

If they had tried the same approach on Hillary, their black lives might not have mattered that much to her security detail...

Bernie is cut from a different cloth than the average politician. That much should be obvious.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 02:08 am
@Olivier5,
Hey, Oliver came back. Good to know.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 02:22 am
@hawkeye10,
Thanks Hawk. :-)
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 09:36 am
@snood,
How about we agree that he has yet to be corrupted?
snood

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 10:19 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

How about we agree that he has yet to be corrupted?

I can go with that; or at least as far as I know, and definitely cleaner than everyone else running.

You and I would be practically simpatico except for a small difference in opinion about what it means if one adjusts according to polls and public pressure.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2015 11:17 am
@maxdancona,
Good picture find.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2015 09:30 pm
Quote:
In an interview with NBC's Chuck Todd set to air Sunday on "Meet the Press," the Democratic presidential contender said he'd pay for his plans -- including $1 trillion for infrastructure and a "Medicare for all" health insurance system -- through higher taxes on wealthy Americans and corporations that keep profits outside the country.

"You take a hard look at our tax system," Sanders said when pressed about how he'd address the deficit.

"And you say, 'You know what? Corporate America, you ain't going to stash your money in the Cayman Islands and not pay any taxes at all,'" he said. "If you are very, very wealthy, as Warren Buffett reminds us, you know what? You're not going to continue to pay an effective tax rate lower than middle class people."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/11/politics/bernie-sanders-raise-taxes-spending-deficit/index.html

They will depart USA. There is no earning potential from raising taxes on the corporate class, that is the majority of what globalization was about, to depower nations. Sanders is REALLY stupid, I will be scraping the barrel if I am forced to support him because TRUMP leaves the race.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 08:00 am
I just don't know Sanders thinks he is going to be able to pass his ideas. He said once we need a real revolution but I don't see it happening yet. What we need is democrat and democrat leaning independents voters to actually get involved and pay attention to congress elections so that when we get good presidents with good ideas they have a chance of passing.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 09:33 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
He does get a D- from the NRA.

His record on guns is atrocious. He likes to violate people's civil rights for fun.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 09:54 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
His record on guns is atrocious. He likes to violate people's civil rights for fun.

You say that like it's a bad thing Oralloy.
oralloy

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 10:19 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
You say that like it's a bad thing Oralloy.

It is a bad thing. Violating civil rights for an actual reason is bad enough, but violating civil rights for no reason at all is atrocious.
parados

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2015 07:26 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

It is a bad thing. Violating civil rights for an actual reason is bad enough, but violating civil rights for no reason at all is atrocious.

You mean like requiring an ID for voting which can violate civil rights?
oralloy

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2015 06:47 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:

You mean like requiring an ID for voting which can violate civil rights?

I like your terminology "can" violate civil rights.

Just make sure that voter ID laws are implemented in a way which does not violate anyone's civil rights.
parados

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2015 09:46 am
@oralloy,
When you require voter ID and don't make all aspects of getting that ID free then you are violating their rights.

That would include getting paperwork from other states without charge to the voter as well.
parados

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2015 09:48 am
@oralloy,
The other problem you didn't address is the violation of those rights without a reason. A reason should be demonstrable. The claim of voter fraud has been found to be specious. You won't let very real killings be a reason to restrict guns in any fashion but you are more than happy to have no evidence of fraud be a reason to make it difficult to vote.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 04:00 am
Bernie wins the first debate hands down according to the American public. Social media data shows overwhelming positive activity: he raised over a million in the hours after the debate from a multitude of small donors; Google searches about him and his policies far outnumbered all other candidates; polling on social media sites show bernie far and away leading in popularity. Of course, talking heads are all paid off by Clinton's paymasters. We'll see if corporations and their lackeys can defeat the people.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 04:06 am
@Lash,
Quote:
Of course, talking heads are all paid off by Clinton's paymasters.

The clintons pushed hard no doubt, and they got the D moneymen and the D party apparatchik to go out and pressure the "journalists" to write the story line that Clinton won in a landside....the "journalists being mostly too dumb to know the difference between their ass and a hole in the ground this last step was not too hard......but something more important is going on here. I think we are looking at an elite that has not only lost the little people by way of too many lies and too much incompetence, but I think this is also an elite that simply can no longer separate reality from their fantasies.

DISCLAIMER: We will not know for sure till another week that elite claims that Hillary won are wrong.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 04:28 am
Bernie Sanders will never get the Democratic Party nomination...and it will have nothing to do with "the elite." It will be a result of Party stalwarts understanding that he is not even close to the strongest candidate they can field...and they are pragmatic enough to know that winning the election is MUCH more important than fielding a symbolically important candidate...and losing.

I think Hillary Clinton will get the nomination...and will win the general election.

Bernie Sanders, much as I love him and love his agenda, did NOT win that debate. He looked, at times, like a doddering old man...and a guy who looks like a doddering old man will not get elected.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2015 04:45 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Bernie wins the first debate hands down according to the American public. Social media data shows overwhelming positive activity: he raised over a million in the hours after the debate from a multitude of small donors; Google searches about him and his policies far outnumbered all other candidates; polling on social media sites show bernie far and away leading in popularity. Of course, talking heads are all paid off by Clinton's paymasters. We'll see if corporations and their lackeys can defeat the people.

Hands down, huh? There are all kinds of polls and statistics, and all of them do not say that Bernie was the hands-down winner of that debate.

It's kinda weird seeing someone as smart and tuned in as you are talking about the entire competition between Bernie and Hillary in such stark black and white, all or nothing, us vs them binary terms. It leaves no hint of a possibility for the existence of regular old, non-talking head, not paid off by the corporate elite people who watched that debate with their own eyes and listened with their own ears and think that Hillary did the best job. It doesn't even leave any space for the existence of people who don't have anything to gain by thinking so, that think both Hillary and Bernie did equally fine jobs. It allows for no such thing as an honest difference of opinion. It is unreasonable and rigid to think that this all breaks down into "the people" vs the paid-off, deluded or otherwise corrupt.

Jesus. I mean, respect and all Lash, I'd think someone who voted for George Bush twice would at least acknowledge that everyone who doesn't 100% agree with you about Bernie vs Hillary isn't necessarily not sincere, or even not smart, but just not you.