InfraBlue

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 02:59 pm
@roger,
It's the perceptions of these political positions that change, not the positions themselves. Pacifism will never be thought of as right-wing, and hawkishness will never be thought of as left-wing.
RABEL222

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 11:16 pm
@InfraBlue,
As much as I hate to admit it liberal has become a minority. The democrats have to cater to the middle of the political spectrum which is where Clinton is. I love Bernie and his liberal views and if I thought he could be elected in the present political atmosphere I would work for him. But as Frank just pointed out one more ultra conservative politician appointed to the Supreme Court will destroy our nation. Too many Kotch brothers "Judges" on there already.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2015 07:09 pm
Bernie is currently speaking to the largest crowd gathered by any candidate in the race. You can see him here, but he's already said the most luscious stuff I've ever heard. https://berniesanders.com/news/live-madison-wisconsin/

He said the US is an oligarchy. He's electric. He's saying all the things he's been saying for decades, but people seem to be finally pissed off enough to listen.

I think he may have a chance.

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2015 07:11 pm
@Lash,
I have seen a picture of that crowd, already. Go Bernie.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2015 07:58 pm
https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/11659512_860353124019693_1391695306090116092_n.jpg?oh=b252b3e630150c3b8cdb4f7499060b20&oe=561072F9
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2015 08:38 pm
@Lash,
Maybe I'll have to take a longer look at him.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 03:33 pm
I was reading a few reasons why Bernie can't get the nomination. The one that sticks with me is that he has no ties to minorities to speak of. Traditionally, a Democrat needs that to get beyond his/her own region.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 05:04 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank,

1) Two of the five current justices that aren't on your list of evil were appointed by a Republican president.

2) The last Clinton administration was a disaster from a progressive point of view. "Don't Ask, Don't Tell", "Welfare to Work", NAFTA-- these are things that set back the progressive cause by moving the center in the wrong direction. There is no evidence that the second Clinton administration would be any different.

3) Hillary Clinton is running a cynical campaign based on the fact that she is entitled to have the job. She wants us to believe we owe her. This is bullshit.

4) Bernie doesn't change his opinions in a cynical attempt to get elected. Sanders is the only candidate that supported same sex marriage before he started running for president.

5) My biggest fear is that if Hillary is elected... it will be 8 years before we have a chance of getting a good progressive candidate into the White House, all of the while we will have a pretend progressive pushing through a whitewashed conservative agenda.

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 05:14 pm
@maxdancona,
If you and the others want to talk up Sanders...fine.

Do it.

There are far right-wing Republicans who would probably donate money to that campaign.

maxdancona

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 05:20 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Thanks Frank, I will continue to strongly support Sanders.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 06:25 pm
I support Sanders; I wasn't sure at first, didn't know enough. As most political posters here know, I'm not a Hillary Clinton fan but will vote for her if she is the last democrat standing. I see no reason at all to hesitate re Bernie going for it, and many reasons for him doing so, such as bringing an intelligent mind to facing our country's problems.
revelette2

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 06:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
From what I can see in the picture, not too many of the younger generation were there. But, it was a huge crowd nonetheless.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 06:39 pm
@ossobuco,
Also, Webb declared today (no link, I just read a headline).
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 08:41 pm
@edgarblythe,
Hi. I can't tell you how it enrages me that "journalists" are telling people why they shouldn't vote for the best guy who's run in my lifetime. I hope you won't let their talk sway you.

Name recognition is a BIG thing in politics because most people don't keep up with political news. Minorities, historically and generally, aren't up on trends in campaign issues. I have NO DOUBT that once they begin to hear about him - his voting record, arrest for protesting segregated housing, marching and activism for Civil Rights, they won't vote for anyone else.

Hillary has some serious and recent issues with black voters.

Thanks for keeping an open mind. This is the most exciting moment in my political life. I cannot believe there's one honest person offering himself to clean up that pit of vipers. All of the goddamn "journalists" are doing HRC's dirty work.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 08:43 pm
@revelette2,
Twitter is buzzing with millennials excited about Bernie.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 08:45 pm
http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/02/politics/bernie-sanders-fundraising/index.html

Take a look at this: https://youtu.be/RiwOW1KGhF8 Bernie could be the next FDR.
RABEL222

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 09:42 pm
@Lash,
I am sure all you republicans are hoping Bernie gets the nomination. An ultra liberal would be much eaiser to beat than a centerist, right Lash?
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 09:50 pm
I will vote my conscience and hope for the best. Bernie is the only candidate saying a lot of what I believe in.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 10:10 pm
@RABEL222,
No weirdo. I'm not a Republican.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2015 02:28 am
@maxdancona,
No problem, Max. And you probably would have the advantage of having the far right help finance a Sanders run. They'd much, much, much rather have him to battle than Hillary. As I said earlier...Sanders would fare even worse than Goldwater did for the Republicans in 1964.

Anyway, the far left has always been the anvil around the Dem Party's neck...and they are living up to expectations this time around!