edgarblythe

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2015 06:19 pm
Until the debates, Bernie will not get much news coverage. That is when the feces will hit the fan, if it is going to happen at all.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2015 09:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
I think Bernie Sanders is great. He knows and understand pocketbook issues better than most elected officials. Bernie Sanders does not have enough star power to win the presidency. Elizabeth Warren, on the other hand, has more than enough star power and command of the issues to win the presidency. Elizabeth Warren is my alltime favorite elected official. There is no one better than Elizabeth Warren in regard to domestic issues. Since Elizabeth Warren has stated that she is not running for the presidency, that makes Hillary Clinton far and above the best candidate. As long as Clinton continues to move to the left, especially in regard to domestic issues, she will be an outstanding candidate. She would definitely get my vote. I believe that individuals such as Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren will keep the pressure on Clinton to continue moving to the left in regard to domestic issues. Do not let Clinton move to the right on domestic issues. If Clinton were to move to the right on the domestic issues, she would give the republicans a better chance of winning the presidency. I definitely don't want that to happen.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2015 10:00 pm
Clinton, like Bill and Barak is at heart a conservative. She may stand head and shoulders above the clown car of opponents, but she will ultimately move the Democrats further right.
RABEL222

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2015 11:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
Right you are, most so called Democrat politicians are slightly right of center. But not ultra conservative. The thing that interests me is the Supreme Court and I dont think any democrat will appoint any more judges bought by the Koch brothers as two of them are now. Obama is conservative as his position on the trade bill shows. More U S jobs moved overseas and billionares made in the U S at the expense of the common citizen.
roger

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 12:17 am
@RABEL222,
If most Democrat politicians are right of center, isn't it more likely that the center has moved to the right?
revelette2

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 06:30 am
Bernie Sanders Surges In New Hampshire Polls
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 07:20 am
The media and the politicians are largely bought by extreme right wing wealth. I attribute that fact to the right leaning electorate more than any single factor. It's all the average person hears these days. Once a moderate or left leaning government gets voted in - IF - Then I think things will drift back toward a bit of sanity. Before people decide that I am calling conservatism absolutely wrong, I am not. Only the tea party style.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 02:05 pm
@roger,
It is true that the Democratic party has been moving to the right. I believe it was Bill Clinton who actually started pushing the party to the right. The democratic party ever since Bill Clinton has continued moving to the right. In some aspects, not all, Barack Obama has move the democratic party to the right. The Tea Party has been moving the Republican party to the extreme far right. I think leaders such as Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren have reversed that trend. The democratic party seems to now be moving more to the left. I feel that both Barack Obama and candidate Hillary Clinton are now moving more to the left. This new trend of moving back to the left is wonderful turn of events.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 02:18 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

It is true that the Democratic party has been moving to the right. I believe it was Bill Clinton who actually started pushing the party to the right. The democratic party ever since Bill Clinton has continued moving to the right. In some aspects, not all, Barack Obama has move the democratic party to the right. The Tea Party has been moving the Republican party to the extreme far right. I think leaders such as Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren have reversed that trend. The democratic party seems to now be moving more to the left. I feel that both Barack Obama and candidate Hillary Clinton are now moving more to the left. This new trend of moving back to the left is wonderful turn of events.

There is no "new trend of moving back to the left."

The nation...America...has been moving to the far right for decades now (since the election of Ronald Reagan)...and my guess is that will not stop without something akin to revolution.

No true liberal will make a mark on the American body politic.

Every Dem has to move to the right in order to carry enough of the electorate to win.

It is simply a fact of life right now.

I absolutely guarantee you will hear R's bragging that they truly represent CONSERVATISM...and that he/she is more true to the desires of the RIGHT (including the far right) than any of their R opponents.

What do you think the chances are that you will hear a D bragging that he/she truly represents LIBERALISM ...and that he/she is more true to the desires of the LEFT (including the far left) than any of their opponents?
Real Music

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 03:28 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Yes, for a period of time, liberals/progressives FEARED moving to the left because they felt they would lose elections. For a period of time that was probably true. The country as a whole was moving to the right for an extended period of years. The only reason a democrat Bill Clinton was able to win the presidency was because he moved to the right of the center. I disagree with you regarding where the country as a whole is currently. I also disagree with you in regard to the ideological trend the country is headed. Lately, I've noticed democrats embracing progressive/liberal ideas more and more. For the most part they are no longer running from their liberal ideology. They appear to be showing less fear of promoting their liberal ideas. It would stand to reason that if you no longer are running from liberalism you probably now believe you can win on those principals. It also stands to reason that if you are now beginning to embrace progressive ideology, you probably believe you can win on those principals. I can only conclude that democrats now feel they can win on liberal/progressive ideals because they believe the country as a whole has recently started moving to the left. That is what I mean when I stated the Democratic party is now reversing their rightward trend and has lately been trending leftward. Yes, I definitely lean left, sometimes far left, when it's regarding POCKETBOOK ISSUES. Non pocketbook issues, my ideology may vary left, right, and center.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 04:50 pm
The best we can hope for is a left leaning centrist. That's the reality.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 11:26 pm
@roger,
Thats what I said. You have a choice of voting for a conservative democrat or an ultra conservative republican. Not much of a choice for a liberal.
roger

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 11:36 pm
@RABEL222,
See? You've just been swept from liberal to ultra liberal. Under the new standard, I mean.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2015 06:13 am
Antonin Scalia
Clarence Thomas
Samuel Alito
John Roberts

0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2015 05:20 pm
@roger,
If you dont mind since I know my own mind I will continue to call myself a liberal. I dont think I am anything ultra except maybe poor.
roger

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2015 06:03 pm
@RABEL222,
My point, of course, was that if you remain stationary and the center (reference point) moves, you might find yourself relabeled.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2015 06:05 pm
If we don't want to live in Albania or the equivalent, we better get back to some liberalism in this nation.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 12:18 pm
Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren decided to pass on running for president in 2016. Since then, some hard-core lefties have shifted their attention to Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, who has been drawing massive crowds across the country. He's still a long shot to beat front-runner Hillary Clinton, but Sanders has been inching up in the polls in New Hampshire, coming within eight points of Clinton in a recent survey.

Will Warren support the new favorite son of the left and hit the campaign trail for him? "Too early to say," she told the Boston Herald on Monday. Warren has so far refrained from endorsing any Democratic presidential candidate, but she sure sounded enthusiastic about Bernie when speaking with the Herald. "These are people who care about these issues, and that’s who Bernie’s reaching," she told the paper. "I love what Bernie is talking about. I think all the presidential candidates should be out talking about the big issues."

Warren has been cagey about her feelings on Hillary Clinton since the former secretary of state announced her presidential campaign in April. In 2013, Warren signed a letter written by the Democratic women in the Senate encouraging Clinton to enter the race, and last year Warren called Clinton "terrific" and said she hoped Clinton would run for president.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 12:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
There, then, she's not perfect at all. Grrrr.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 02:24 pm
Anyone who wants to help the Democrats commit political suicide by putting forth a candidate like Sanders or Warren...

...ought to consider these names again:

Antonin Scalia
Clarence Thomas
Samuel Alito
John Roberts

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. But dreams of a tomorrow that will fulfill wishes are the kinds of things that got Barry Goldwater the top spot on the Republican ticket back in 1964.

If you have forgotten, Goldwater got 52 electoral votes to Johnson's 486...and there were huge losses for the Republicans in both the House and the Senate.

Neither Sanders nor Warren will do anywhere near that good.