The return of Jesus would be the end of Christianity.

Smileyrius

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2014 04:54 pm
@Quehoniaomath,
Partial quotations without context are most commonly used to support the agenda of a protagonist.

Using this tactic, even you could be quoted to sound like a theist
MWal

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2014 05:18 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Who did?
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2014 07:05 pm
@MWal,
MWal wrote:

Who did?

Nobody that I know of...other than you.

Smiley spoke to the problem. Listen to what he said.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2014 08:05 pm
Live by the sword, die by the sword" is a saying derived from a biblical parable to the effect that if you use violence, or other harsh means, against other people, you can expect to have those same means used against you; "You can expect to become a victim of whatever means you use to get what you want."[1]
The proverb comes from the Gospel of Matthew, verse 26:52, which describes a disciple (identified in the Gospel of John as Simon Peter) drawing a sword to defend against the arrest of Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane, but is rebuked by Jesus, who tells him to sheath the weapon:
Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword (Matthew 26:52, King James Version)
0 Replies

MWal

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2014 08:53 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Matthew 26:52 "Put your sword back in its place," Jesus said to him, "for all who draw the sword will die by the sword. "Put your sword back in its place," Jesus said to him, "for all who draw the sword will die by the sword.
Quehoniaomath

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2014 11:15 pm
@Smileyrius,
Quote:
Partial quotations without context are most commonly used to support the agenda of a protagonist.

Using this tactic, even you could be quoted to sound like a theist

Unbelievable!

Anything to defend their belief system!
neologist

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 12:02 am
@Quehoniaomath,
Quehoniaomath wrote:
Unbelievable . . . system!
Amen, brother!
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 12:37 am
@MWal,
MWal wrote:

Matthew 26:52 "Put your sword back in its place," Jesus said to him, "for all who draw the sword will die by the sword. "Put your sword back in its place," Jesus said to him, "for all who draw the sword will die by the sword.
I think that 's a bad translation; or 2 bad translations.
If that were true, then he 'd not have advised people to buy swords,
if thay don t have them. Luke 22:36

David
Smileyrius

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 02:41 am
@Quehoniaomath,
Would you assert that your quote was a full quotation? or that you clarified context? I might have missed it if you did my friend.
Quehoniaomath

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 02:47 am
@Smileyrius,
Quote:
Would you assert that your quote was a full quotation? or that you clarified context? I might have missed it if you did my friend.

It really doesn't matter, You will find a way to 'edit' your belief system anyway.

Now that being said:

The Bible is full of horror stories! Also out of context?

You wish! Nothing peacefull about this ****!
http://www.veteranstoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Moses_genocide_women_children1-320x207.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-T88KqO9iki4/T1epCRht9lI/AAAAAAAAeG4/8-sQDegyu6w/s1600/YearBibleBillboard.jpg

Smileyrius

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 07:04 am
@Quehoniaomath,
The claim of obstinance is a poor generalisation and in no way limited to theists my friend. You are welcome to continue in your beliefs, and the way in which you choose to display them. I have no interest in persuading you otherwise.
Quehoniaomath

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 10:18 am
@Smileyrius,
Quote:
The claim of obstinance is a poor generalisation and in no way limited to theists my friend. You are welcome to continue in your beliefs, and the way in which you choose to display them. I have no interest in persuading you otherwise.

you are very very funny, talking about my 'beliefs'
I even think you don't understand what I just wrote.
neologist

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 11:23 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Context is important, David.

We Mensans understand that, right?
Enaj

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 12:53 pm
@Quehoniaomath,
Josephus did speak of him....I doubt that he would have mentioned him at all if he had not existed. As what would be the point...

So I guess that an historian will mention in his writings characters just as Little Red riding Hood, Three Little pigs, Superman along with real people of history?LOL
Enaj

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 12:57 pm
@Quehoniaomath,
So first you decide that Jesus is a myth and then say that he couldn't have or did not exist because he is only a myth.

Surely you jest.
Enaj

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 01:02 pm
@Quehoniaomath,
I've heard it said that when one turns to expletive language and name calling it is because they are losing the argument.
Quehoniaomath

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 01:21 pm
@Enaj,
Quote:
Josephus did speak of him....I doubt that he would have mentioned him at all if he had not existed. As what would be the point...

So I guess that an historian will mention in his writings characters just as Little Red riding Hood, Three Little pigs, Superman along with real people of history?LOL

That remains to be seen:

Quote:
When the evidence is scientifically examined, it becomes clear that the entire Josephus passage regarding Jesus was forged, likely by Church historian Eusebius, during the fourth century. In "Who on Earth was Jesus Christ?" David Taylor details the reasons why the TF in toto must be deemed a forgery, most of which arguments, again, were put forth by Dr. Lardner:

"It was not quoted or referred to by any Christian apologists prior to Eusebius, c. 316 ad.
"Nowhere else in his voluminous works does Josephus use the word 'Christ,' except in the passage which refers to James 'the brother of Jesus who was called Christ' (Antiquities of the Jews, Book 20, Chapter 9, Paragraph 1), which is also considered to be a forgery.
"Since Josephus was not a Christian but an orthodox Jew, it is impossible that he should have believed or written that Jesus was the Christ or used the words 'if it be lawful to call him a man,' which imply the Christian belief in Jesus' divinity.
"The extraordinary character of the things related in the passage--of a man who is apparently more than a man, and who rose from the grave after being dead for three days--demanded a more extensive treatment by Josephus, which would undoubtedly have been forthcoming if he had been its author.
"The passage interrupts the narrative, which would flow more naturally if the passage were left out entirely.
"It is not quoted by Chrysostom (c. 354-407 ad) even though he often refers to Josephus in his voluminous writings.
"It is not quoted by Photius, Patriarch of Constantinople (c. 858-886 ad) even though he wrote three articles concerning Josephus, which strongly implies that his copy of Josephus' Antiquities did not contain the passage.
"Neither Justin Martyr (110-165 AD), nor Clement of Alexandria (153-217 ad), nor Origen (c.185-254 AD), who all made extensive reference to ancient authors in their defence of Christianity, has mentioned this supposed testimony of Josephus.
"Origen, in his treatise Against Celsus, Book 1, Chapter 47, states categorically that Josephus did NOT believe that Jesus was the Christ.
"This is the only reference to the Christians in the works of Josephus. If it were genuine, we would have expected him to have given us a fuller account of them somewhere.
http://www.truthbeknown.com/josephus.htm

have fun!
Quehoniaomath

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 01:22 pm
@Enaj,
that is true..sometimes Wink
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 01:27 pm
Quote:
Higher Criticism by Christian Authorities

The many reasons for concluding the Josephus passage to be a forgery have been expounded upon by numerous well-respected authorities, so much so that such individuals have been compelled by honesty and integrity to dismiss the Testimonium in toto as a forgery.
http://www.truthbeknown.com/josephus.htm
Quehoniaomath

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 01:32 pm
@Enaj,
Quote:
So first you decide that Jesus is a myth and then say that he couldn't have or did not exist because he is only a myth.

Among others. But I am not 'deciding' of course.
0 Replies