Congratulations, House Republicans!

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 10:51 pm
@hawkeye10,
There's probably some truth in what you opine, but it's more likely the fact that midtern elections rarely turn out voters. It's also true that most voters distrust Obama and Washington, and are dissastisfied by the economy.

Quote:

By Gary Langer
Oct 28, 2014 7:00am

A double punch of economic and political dissatisfaction marks public attitudes in the closing week of the 2014 midterm campaign – a dynamic that reflects poorly on the president’s performance, bolstering his Republican opponents.

The discontent in the latest ABC News/Washington Post poll is palpable. Despite its fitful gains, seven in 10 Americans rate the nation’s economy negatively and just 28 percent say it’s getting better. In a now-customary result, 68 percent say the country’s seriously off on the wrong track.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 11:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
" our parties voters care less than the other parties voters" is not exactly an endorsement.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2014 11:21 pm
@hawkeye10,
What most people do not understand is the fact that there's a world recession going on, and the US is the only country showing healthy growth in our economy. It grew at 3% last quarter. Europe and China's economy are shrinking.

The US can't do it alone; the world economy is tied together as never before, and when the rest of the world suffers, there's no way one country can continue to grow on its own.

We are fortunate that only 14% of our economy is based on exports. As our economy grows stronger, so does our currency. That creates a further handicap for our economy, because anything produced in our country becomes more expensive to our foreign trading partners.

Most people don't understand macroeconomics enough to realize that the US is holding its own economically - even as people complain about it.
soundsighted

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 12:14 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Awful.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 04:50 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Would you like to have Corzine back?

Not especially, but I think Corzine was a better human being...and, incidentally, a better governor.
revelette2

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 06:57 am
@cicerone imposter,
I have to admit CI, this area is one place where you really seem to know what you are talking about, giving specifics and information that easily read and understood. One kinda sees how you have been successful in life.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 07:00 am
@wmwcjr,
I'm wondering what was the point of his having done that? I bet he got a mouthful of hair for his trouble.

I bet if it was the momma or daddy seal he wouldn't have been so brave.
coldjoint

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 09:52 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Not especially, but I think Corzine was a better human being...and, incidentally, a better governor.

Corzine is an elite criminal above the law. Why, is the question people should be asking.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 02:16 pm
@coldjoint,
You described Christie to a t.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 02:17 pm
NM MVD says Navajo-only speakers are “illiterates” must learn English to obtain state ID card

MVD says Navajo-only speakers are “illiterates” must learn English to obtain state ID cards or license

New Mexico’s Motor Vehicle Department recently directed employees to stop assisting Navajo language speakers with applications for licenses and identification cards, dubbing them “illiterate” in an email directive to staff.

Acting on a tip from a citizen concerned about newly registered Navajo voters being denied access to identification cards necessary to vote, ProgressNowNM obtained a copy of a new MVD directive posted in a Northwest New Mexico office.

https://progressnownm.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/screen-shot-2014-10-29-at-7-37-55-am1.png

MVD email directive. Copied as posted in the office. (right side of the original was trimmed from the posting)
?w=760&h=304

Saying, “We are not able to issue license (sic) for illiterates” MVD’s regional director tells staff to end the practice of assisting applicants with completing the state’s license or ID card forms.

But state law doesn’t have a language requirement for applications.

http://progressnownm.wordpress.com/2014/10/29/mvd-says-navajo-only-speakers-are-illiterates-must-learn-english-to-obtain-state-id-cards-or-license/
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 02:57 pm
Obama’s Health Law: Who Was Helped Most

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/29/upshot/obamacare-who-was-helped-most.html?rref=upshot&abt=0002&abg=1&_r=2

We know that about 10 million more people have insurance coverage this year as a result of the Affordable Care Act. But until now it has been difficult to say much about who was getting that coverage — where they live, their age, their income and other such details.

Now a large set of data — from Enroll America, the group trying to sign up people for the program, and from the data firm Civis Analytics — is allowing a much clearer picture. The data shows that the law has done something rather unusual in the American economy this century: It has pushed back against inequality, essentially redistributing income — in the form of health insurance or insurance subsidies — to many of the groups that have fared poorly over the last few decades.

The biggest winners from the law include people between the ages of 18 and 34; blacks; Hispanics; and people who live in rural areas. The areas with the largest increases in the health insurance rate, for example, include rural Arkansas and Nevada; southern Texas; large swaths of New Mexico, Kentucky and West Virginia; and much of inland California and Oregon.

That state boundaries are so prominent in the map attests to the power of state policy in shaping health insurance conditions. The most important factor in predicting whether an American who had no insurance in 2013 signed up this year was whether the state that person lives in expanded its Medicaid program in 2014. (Just consider the contrast between Kentucky, which expanded Medicaid, and Tennessee, which did not.)

The map, which I couldn't paste into this post, is highly illustrative. My state, Wisconsin, appears to be among the worst-served in the nation. Thanks Governer (sic) Walker.

Love the part about how the ACA reduces inequality. The law isn't perfect, but perfection is the enemy of progress. We've made substantial progress under this law.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 03:04 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
According to RealClearPolitics public opinion on ObamaCare is currently running 38/52 against. The D's rolled the dice and decided that following Obama would help them.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/obama_and_democrats_health_care_plan-1130.html

OOPS!

We are going to have to wait to see what the turnout is, but right now the prediction is that the blacks and the young to protest the economy and the D's lack of interest in pulling back on the police state. Hispanics are likely to also stay away to protest the Obama order deportations and his lack of ability to get new laws in place to allow for citizenship and legal new arrivals from Mexico. The D'd only hope now is the amp up the rhetoric accusing R's of mistreating women, but even that play is netting poor results, I think because the D's have gone to that well too many times and we are tired of hearing the charge.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 03:12 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I thought the map was important enough to take a picture of it to show that the western half of the US has more insured than the eastern half of the US - where the GOP controls the state governments.
http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag215/Tak_Nomura/insuredamericans_zps45920e33.jpg
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 03:20 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Look at all the red in Arkansas and then consider this

Quote:
At a time when Democrats are benefiting from demographic changes across the country, particularly in the South, Arkansas is perhaps the best example of a state where demographics are working against them. Population trends have eroded the traditional Democratic coalition in Arkansas; the deep unpopularity of President Obama makes it all the harder for a Democrat to reassemble its remnants.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/23/upshot/arkansas-a-demographic-challenge-for-democrats.html?_r=0&abt=0002&abg=0

The reason is the economy. It sucks, especially in the South.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 03:24 pm
@hawkeye10,
Not surprising; they vote GOP. The GOP will not approve any minimum wage increase.

San Francisco just approved a minimum wage increase to $11.05/hour starting January 1, the highest in the country. Even our city approved a minimum wage increase to $10.30/hour. The federal minimum wage is still $7.25/hour. The GOP loves that! They want the 47% to starve.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2014 05:45 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
I'm wondering what was the point of his having done that? I bet he got a mouthful of hair for his trouble.

I bet if it was the momma or daddy seal he wouldn't have been so brave.
In that picture, he is actively making fun of himself.
revelette2

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 06:51 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
In that picture, he is actively making fun of himself.

He should.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 08:03 am
@hawkeye10,
The economy doesn't suck. Consumer confidence is up, the deficit is down, the market is up, the gov't had its first black quarter since 2007, employment is up .....

Arkies just don't like a black President.
revelette2

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 08:48 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I admit I don't understand how people can be so hoodwinked by such obvious tactics, but they are, time and time again.

I don't think it is really bigotry as much as just hating Obama for some strange reason that I have never been able to figure out. I am sure after this we will get ten posts talking about what a "liar egotistical blah blah" he is with absolutely nothing concrete to back it up.

I can understand the left being disappointed with him because he has been more of a centrist than the campaigned on in some ways. He has compromised too much for the left to be satisfied with him.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 09:28 am
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B1cTUZdCcAENDU8.jpg
0 Replies