Congratulations, House Republicans!

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 09:29 am
@revelette2,
He's disappointed me, but not as much as Mitt Romney would have!
0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 12:30 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:

I'm wondering what was the point of his having done that? I bet he got a mouthful of hair for his trouble.

I bet if it was the momma or daddy seal he wouldn't have been so brave.

The seal is a stuffed animal. Christi was grotesquely exaggerating an image of himself the way Night Talk comedians usually do regarding his size.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 12:46 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Our economy is very strong compared to other developed countries. We should be thankful that only 14% of our economy is based on exports. Not only is consumer confidence up, but companies are hiring now at a faster rate than ever before, and many states and cities are increasing the minimum wage that's going to help consumer spending.

With the price of gas at new lows, it gives consumers more to spend on other goods and services. It's somewhat similar to tax breaks, and it looks like gas prices will stay low with some places paying $2.60/gallon.

Most financial pundits are predicting a good holiday season on consumer spending. If that comes to pass, that's only going to give our country a good kick-start into next year.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 01:12 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:
I admit I don't understand how people can be so hoodwinked by such obvious tactics, but they are, time and time again.

Obama's image as president has been bombarded by negativity since he's been in office by the Republican Party. It's even worse on the campaign trails where posters of Obama with a bone in his nose appear, and many whites spread the lie he was born in Kenya. The hatred against this man has been so openly and unashamedly transparent that in time the masses believe it. If you swamp the people with so many lies, eventually these lies will be seen to be working inside the people's psyche.

Obama killed Bin Ladin, the terrorist responsible for 9/11. He implemented ACA which is benefitting many Americans. He has improved the economy drastically which is on track and growing. The unemployment rate is under 6%. He has not gotten us into another war and he does not come across as a sinister corrupt politician and the American people, when asked, trust him; he is humane and considerate. Yet, this doesn't detract from the reality he is a black man in the wrong position and this is what is wrong in the mind of the majority of white America. Perception is reality and our senses will simply have to grow sharper in order to sift out the truth. Meanwhile all around us we encounter Republican politicians stating antagonistic words regarding Obama. When the people are swamped with this 24/7, 365 days a year, it will invariably filter down into the minds of the majority of Americans. Negativity, given time, works.

Don't discard your loyalty to Obama. He's not perfect, but flash!.....there simply is no human who is. Obama's main fault might be his slowness in acting as fast as we would like. If something like a Ted Cruz made it to the presidency, I would commit suicide! Life would not be worth living in America under an extremist like that worm.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 01:22 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
You wrote,
Quote:

Obama's image as president has been bombarded by negativity since he's been in office by the Republican Party. It's even worse on the campaign trails where posters of Obama with a bone in his nose appear, and many whites spread the lie he was born in Kenya. The hatred against this man has been so openly and unashamedly transparent that in time the masses believe it. If you swamp the people with so many lies, eventually these lies will be seen to be working inside the people's psyche.

It's not only about those multitudes of racial bigots, but the right wing evangalicals who fight against providing equal rights to women, minorities, and homosexuals.

I hope enough of you have the stregth and fortitude to fight this idiocy.

I would suggest that you ignore my one vote and work on getting all those unregistered voters get registered, charge those idiots who are removing minority registered voters from the rolls with criminal charges, and fighting all those voter ID laws being implemented by the GOP.

When you have accomplished that, I may be interested in joining the fight to win. Until then, you're wasting your time trying to convince me there's a chance of improving the politics of this country.

Moment-in-Time

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 01:35 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:

I would suggest that you ignore my one vote and work on getting all those unregistered voters get registered, charge those idiots who are removing minority registered voters from the rolls with criminal charges, and fighting all those voter ID laws being implemented by the GOP.

When you have accomplished that, I may be interested in joining the fight to win. Until then, you're wasting your time trying to convince me there's a chance of improving the politics of this country.

I could have sworn I responded to Rev. I certainly did not have you in mind at the time I composed my post. BTW, how do you know I have not been knocking on doors, leaving tag labels reminding people how important this mid-term election is, or making phone calls; heck, I've been busier than a beaver. The ground game is in full mode and if we're successful we will see some surprises.

As for your one vote, that's gone from my mind like forever. You think too much of yourself,CI. I don't waste time on posters I haven't a snowball's chance in hell of winning over.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2014 01:59 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
I don't, but even if you were active as you describe it, nothing is changed that is observable. As a matter of fact, from my vantage point, it looks like things are getting worse.

0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2014 12:19 am
@bobsal u1553115,
At least one a2k'er has it right.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 09:06 pm
Congratulations Senate Republicans. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 09:08 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Congratulations Senate Republicans. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

says who? I dont see where anyone with a reputation has predicted who rules the chamber.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 11:05 pm
@hawkeye10,
NYT's did.
farmerman

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 11:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
remember 2016 is also a Senate restructuring year as well as a presidential election.These periodic adjustments are so predictable.

GW Bush fired Rumsfeld when he took a similar drubbing in his last mid term of his last term as pres. I wonder who Obama will pin this bolix on?

Good news was that Pa got rid of that gas company lobbyist/governor Tom (If we pass a gas severance tax the gas drillers ill leave the state) Corbett.

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 11:48 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
GW Bush fired Rumsfeld when he took a similar drubbing in his last mid term of his last term as pres
I believe that history has recorded that Rummy had many times offered to resign and Shrub said no, but about 8 weeks before the election they both decided that it was time. Shrub then asked Rummy to stick around till after the election. History has also recorded that the R's when they found out were pissed, because they believe that had Shrub announced at the time that Rummy was leaving a lot of those R's who lost would have won.

Listen Farmerboy, I am sorry to be the one to inform you that you are playing with someone who tends to know his way around the truth.
farmerman

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2014 11:59 pm
@hawkeye10,
You ont "know youre ay around th truth, you engage in clipping Wikepedia notes to try to make phony points.
Why not post the entire story and youll see I was correct

Quote:

Eight retired generals and admirals called for Rumsfeld to resign in early 2006 in what was called the "Generals Revolt", accusing him of "abysmal" military planning and lack of strategic competence.[89][90][91] Commentator Pat Buchanan reported at the time that Washington Post columnist David Ignatius, who travels often to Iraq and supports the war, says the generals mirror the views of 75 percent of the officers in the field, and probably more."[92] Rumsfeld rebuffed these criticisms, stating that "out of thousands and thousands of admirals and generals, if every time two or three people disagreed we changed the secretary of defense of the United States, it would be like a merry-go-round."[93] Bush defended his secretary throughout, and responded by stating that Rumsfeld is "exactly what is needed".[94]
On November 1, 2006, Bush stated he would stand by Rumsfeld as defense secretary for the length of his term as president. Rumsfeld wrote a resignation letter dated November 6, and, per the stamp on the letter, Bush saw it on Election Day, November 7.[96] In the elections, the House and the Senate shifted to Democratic control. After the elections, on November 8, Bush announced Rumsfeld would resign his position as Secretary of Defense. Many Republicans were unhappy with the delay, believing they would have won more votes if voters had known Rumsfeld was resigning.[96]
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 01:53 am
@farmerman,
You wanna keep parading your ignorance around here?

Quote:
, Nov. 9 — President Bush was moving by late summer toward removing Donald H. Rumsfeld as defense secretary, people inside and outside the White House said Thursday. Weeks before Election Day, the essential question still open was when, not whether, to make the move.

Mr. Bush ultimately postponed action until after the election in part because of concern that to remove Mr. Rumsfeld earlier could be interpreted by critics as political opportunism or as ratifying their criticism of the White House war plan in the heart of the campaign, the White House insiders and outsiders said.

The White House has refused to divulge the behind-the-scenes maneuvering that went into Mr. Rumsfeld’s announced resignation on Wednesday. Those who were interviewed would speak only on condition of anonymity, but included officials at the White House and those in a close circle of outside advisers. They said the administration had been engaged in painful off-again-on-again discussions about Mr. Rumsfeld’s ouster for months, even as Mr. Bush said repeatedly that Mr. Rumsfeld was his man for Iraq.

The delay in Mr. Rumsfeld’s departure was painful for some Republicans, who have argued that his continued presence in the administration was politically counterproductive. Some complained Thursday that the resignation had come too late to be any help during an election in which Mr. Rumsfeld became a whipping boy for Democratic, and eventually some Republican, candidates.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/10/washington/10rumsfeld.html?_r=0

Also, on page one chapter one of his book Gates says that he was contacted the week of Oct 15 re the job offer, so Bush had by then gone through not only the decision that Rummy was going but he had gone through most of the process of deciding who he wanted , which takes a bit of time.

Just quit, you dont know what you are talking about and I do.
coldjoint

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 11:16 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
You wanna keep parading your ignorance around here?

Yes, he does.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 03:22 pm
How Democrats Lost an Election They Should Have Won
Despite the low popularity of President Obama and people’s concerns about the economy, this was an election Democrats should have won big ... that is, if the campaign had been run well. But as so often has been the case, the Democrats did not run a good campaign. What would have been a good campaign?

1. Use Obama to lead the charge. Because of his low standing in the polls, most Democratic candidates stayed as far a way from Obama as possible. The Senate candidate in Kentucky wouldn’t even say whether she voted for him in 2012!

This was plain stupid. They forgot that although he was down in the popularity polls in 2012, he won that election handily. He and his people know how to run a disciplined campaign and get out the vote. But this campaign wasn’t run by him; indeed he hardly participated.

The people who truly dislike Obama weren’t about to vote for a Democrat regardless what the candidate did or said. The lines are very clearly drawn in their minds. However, without Obama as cheerleader-in-chief, the Democratic base of blacks, latinos, youth, and women were less likely to vote historically in a midterm election. Without getting out that vote, Democratic candidates were bound to lose any close election. And that’s what happened.

2. They should have run a very positive campaign that told people clearly where Democrats see the country going and how they propose to get us there … a clear vision statement with legislative particulars, geared to the average voter ... the put-upon middle class ... and communicated in a way that the average voter will get. This should have been the main thrust and the counter to Republican laissez faire, let the market take care of itself, policies.

The middle class has been suffering for decades, but the past few years have taken an even greater toll on their standard of living. Democrats should have made it clear that they understand their pain and had policies to turn things around.

3. At the same time, Democrats should not have let the public forget who has kept our current economic problems from being solved. That should have been easy since Republicans in Congress are held in even lower esteem by voters than Obama.

And Democrats should have nailed Republicans for being the hypocrites they are … they pose as the party of the people but really are the party of big business and the rich. Those are the interests they are protecting. Those are the legislative positions they are advancing. This is not playing class warfare, this is speaking the truth.

But since the Democrats did not run the campaign this way, Republicans were effective as usual at defining the terms of the campaign, making it a referendum on Obama. Their base was motivated, and they really worked their get-out-the-vote campaign better this time than ever before, ironically learning from Obama. The Democratic base on the other hand was dispirited and just didn’t vote in sufficient numbers.

For more on this and other matters, see my blog, http://PreservingAmericanGreatness.blogspot.com

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 04:01 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Those three points were the important ones, but the majority of voters just didn't know how to think for themselves. They were force-fed b.s. by the Koch brothers, and they bought it lock stock and barrel. One liners won the votes. Americans are stupid; sorry, but that's a fact. Why did they vote republican when all the negatives were against the GOP since Obama took office.

Stupidity won.

I hope the GOP cuts social security and ObamaCare; we deserve it!

Don't forget, the GOP said the most important issue for them is 'jobs.'
They won't even approve a minimum wage increase.

ROFLMAO
georgeob1

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 07:11 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Clearly our President is wise, well intentioned, but sadly unappreciated by the stupid American public. It is undeniable that we need a new public, one that has a better appreciation for his special kind of wisdom. Perhaps he should go back to Chicago.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 07:16 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Clearly our President is wise, well intentioned, but sadly unappreciated by the stupid American public. It is undeniable that we need a new public, one that has a better appreciation for his special kind of wisdom. Perhaps he should go back to Chicago.

You got it!

Quote:
Reflecting on what he could have done differently and what he will change moving forward, Obama says he will work harder to become a better salesman.
"I think that one thing that I do need to constantly remind myself and my team of is it's not enough just to build a better mousetrap. People don't automatically come beating to your door. We've got to sell it," Obama said. "We've got to reach out to the other side and, where possible, persuade."
"I think that what you'll see is a constant effort to improve the way we deliver service to customers...experimenting with ways that I can reach out to Republicans more effectively. Making sure that we're reaching out and using the private sector more effectively."
Looking back, the President admits that he sometimes struggled to work politics into policy negotiations, a weakness that affected his ability to communicate his positions to members of the opposite party and to the American people.
"I think there are times -- there's no doubt about it -- where, you know, I think we have not been successful in going out there and letting people know what it is that we're trying to do and why this is the right direction," Obama said. "So there is a failure of politics there that we've got to improve on."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/09/politics/obama-responsibility-midterms/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
0 Replies