Card Member Services - how to stop Rachel

Linkat

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 09:10 am
I am not sure if you have received this call or not. it goes something like this (or course a recorded message).."Hello this is Rachel from Card Member Services - there is nothing wrong with your credit card, but if you would like to lower fees, hit 1."

Well since I was continuously getting these on my cell phone and I have limited minutes, I began to press 1. I would talk to some one and tell them repeatedly to stop calling, I am not on the do not call list, I've reported them, etc. Usually the person would hang up or say something nasty to me and then hang up. And the calls increased instead of stopping.

So I took a different tacit. I pressed 1 and got Jason on the phone. I kept talking to him and asking lots of questions - some that really didn't make sense. I started to get him confused.

Then after all the questions, I agreed that I wanted to lower my rates, he started asking me SS# and account number (of course). I said, is there a number I can call you back? I never do business with a company without fully checking them out first. So he gave me a number - of course I never called back. And since then I have not received one call from Rachel or card member services.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 18 • Views: 23,910 • Replies: 53
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 09:30 am
@Linkat,
There are all sorts of scammers out there trying to get personal information. As soon as they ask for personal details such as the SS# it's over. If they are calling me, they should have all that information.

A few years ago, a call came supposedly from the credit card people. I answered the phone, they went through their spiel, it was some insanity about consolidating all my expenses on their bill. All they would be needing was a few pieces of information.

She then asked a most ridiculous question, "how much of a balance" did I have with them. I politely informed her that she was calling me and the information should be right there in front of her. She was silent, I said goodbye and hung up.

The other day, the bank called...yeah, sure, the bank always calls on Sunday afternoon to "ask a few questions". The machine picked up and recorded that message. Someday soon that call may be returned, most likely not. Sure hope that Sean, if that's really his name, doesn't get reassigned to the Ulan Bator branch for me not responding. He didn't speak very loudly either...I don't ever deal with these folks if they can't speak up. It's the telephone equivalent of small/fine print on varied things...they are attempting to hide something.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 09:51 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
I am not sure if you have received this call or not. it goes something like this (or course a recorded message).."Hello this is Rachel from Card Member Services - there is nothing wrong with your credit card, but if you would like to lower fees, hit 1."

Well since I was continuously getting these on my cell phone and I have limited minutes, I began to press 1. I would talk to some one and tell them repeatedly to stop calling, I am not on the do not call list, I've reported them, etc. Usually the person would hang up or say something nasty to me and then hang up. And the calls increased instead of stopping.

So I took a different tacit. I pressed 1 and got Jason on the phone. I kept talking to him and asking lots of questions - some that really didn't make sense. I started to get him confused.

Then after all the questions, I agreed that I wanted to lower my rates, he started asking me SS# and account number (of course). I said, is there a number I can call you back? I never do business with a company without fully checking them out first. So he gave me a number
OBVIOUSLY, he 's not going to give u a number to the REAL company.

I 've gotten a few calls from what purports to be Windows,
telling me to follow his directions to change my computer.
I called him out for a criminal. I call him "criminal person."
He gave me a fone number.
I said I 'll get the number to the REAL WINDOWS and compare it to HIS.
I have not done that yet. He has called maybe 3 times,
with as much civility from me.

David
Linkat

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 10:38 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I tried the calling them out part first - following the rules and crap like that.

Normally I do not even answer my phone if it is some one I do not know. But my cell phone number has been given out to only people who would need to call me in emergency - like family, my kids school and work. I do not give for anything else. I have limited time on my cell phone as I do not use it much over than for family which is all included within our plan.

So when I was repeatedly getting these calls on my cell phone I got angry - tried to go the legal route - but of course what I've found out about Rachel is they seem to have some how avoided any legal action. Lots of articles and complaints about this "company". Even many utube items of giving them a hard time.

So I figured I'd try one of the utube routes. And after having them on the phone for a while, leading them on and then basically letting them know I'd love to work with them, but need to check them out first - never had one more call. Thought I'd let you all know how I got these calls to stop.

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 10:43 am
@Linkat,
I get these calls quite frequently and I report them to the FCC every time as I am on the "do not call" list. Today I actually received an email back from the FCC thanking me. They also said that they cannot pursue every complaint but they're doing their best, to control these telemarketers.

I hope I am on the telemarketing black list now Evil or Very Mad
Linkat

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 10:55 am
@CalamityJane,
I got one too today - must be their monthly email time. I've done this previously got the same email response, but nothing is done. This Rachel has been calling people since about 2009 - at least from what I can gather - I've even found out the person who "owns" this "company" and runs this scam.

How come I can find all this information but yet the FCC seems unable to stop this or go after these guys. You can do a simple google search and find hundreds of people who also claimed to have reported them to the FCC.

The only thing that stops scams is to scam them back in a sense - where it isn't worth calling you any more. In other words bother them more and take more of their time.

The legit companies are the ones that follow the rules and stop calling when you ask so all this do not call list crap does is stop real companies from telemarketing you (not that I want them calling me either) - it doesn't stop the scams.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 11:14 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I got one too today - must be their monthly email time. I've done this previously got the same email response, but nothing is done. This Rachel has been calling people since about 2009 - at least from what I can gather - I've even found out the person who "owns" this "company" and runs this scam.

How come I can find all this information but yet the FCC seems unable to stop this or go after these guys. You can do a simple google search and find hundreds of people who also claimed to have reported them to the FCC.
The FBI came to a Mensa convention and told us to let them know about these scams,
but a lot of the time the scammers r not on this Continent.

Linkat wrote:
The only thing that stops scams is to scam them back in a sense - where it isn't worth calling you any more.
In other words bother them more and take more of their time.
Right. U can ask them outrageously rude personal questions,
or tell him that u'll be back, put down the fone n go on with your life
and return a while later. If he is still waiting, tell him AGAIN.

An ex-girlfriend of mine to ld me that her ex-boyfriend
had a job telemarketing; what a pitiful existence -- gluttons for rejection.

David
Linkat

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 11:28 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Actually this particular scammer is in the US - I have his name and "company" address I even saw his signed application for his company - amazing things that are online and available to the public. I called his house or what I assume was his home number which was on this report, but of course just got an answering machine.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 11:30 am
@Linkat,
Tell the FBI.
The worst that can happen is nothing.

David
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 02:00 pm
@Linkat,
I get one of those calls every two or three days. Usually, they are recordings giving you a number to call. It's been years since I last heard the entire message.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 02:01 pm
@roger,
I have gotten living humen.
roger

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 02:02 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
What did you do with them?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 02:06 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
What did you do with them?
I insulted them. I was rude.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 02:06 pm
I've been getting quite a few calls from a company, I forget who they say they are, but the people barely speak English and tell me there's something wrong with my computer Smile I can't remember the exact details, but I believe it's Windows because I have a MAC and one time I led them along a ways. They are so annoying and will not stop calling.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 02:09 pm
@Mame,
Yea! That 's what thay said to ME.
Mame

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 02:13 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Did you ever play along, David? I did one time - press this, do that, and of course I didn't do anything because I have a MAC, and then she said, 'Now, what do you see on your screen?' I said, 'What should I see?' and for some reason she hung up. They still keep calling but now I tell them I don't have Windows so it's a quick call.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 02:27 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
Did you ever play along, David?
No. I never did.
Thay blew my mind tho,
in that thay told me my correct full name and street address.

Mame wrote:
I did one time - press this, do that, and of course I didn't do anything because I have a MAC, and then she said, 'Now, what do you see on your screen?' I said, 'What should I see?' and for some reason she hung up. They still keep calling but now I tell them I don't have Windows so it's a quick call.
I just said that I 'd call around to check up on them
and then he gave me HIS fone number to call; obviously leading directly back to HIM or his guys.

I said I 'll call the REAL Windows!
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 02:36 pm

Incidentally, I think the study of scams is very interesting from the victim's perspective.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 03:12 pm
@Mame,
If they don't speak English very well, it could be authentic.

Just kiddin'!
Mame

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 03:14 pm
@roger,
ha ha Smile
0 Replies