Susan B. Komen foundation pulls Planned Parenthood support.

Setanta

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2012 12:56 pm
@jcboy,
Unfortunately, in my experience, that kind of thing is all too common. When i worked in the charity industry, i developed respect only for Catholic Social Services, Lutheran Social Services, and individual congregations, especially the Lutherans. They weren't blowing their respective horns, they were helping people, and they weren't trying to pick your pocket to do it. There were also individuals who made a difference. There was a Catholic church nearby which provided hot lunches to literally thousands of people a day--and they operated completely with volunteer labor, all of the organizing done by the priest who succeeded the priest who had started the effort. All of the food used came from the Central Ohio Food Bank, or was directly donated. There was one other guy, a balls-to-wall lunatic fundamentalist preacher who ran Faith Mission in Columbus, Ohio, at that time the largest homeless shelter for men in Columbus, and probably the most dangerous. Nevertheless, he sheltered hundreds of men each night, and fed two meals a day to thousands of people. His entire operation was supported by direct donations, and he was there among the drunks and the drug addicts and the petty thugs on the run every day. He sure as hell wasn't getting rich off his efforts.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 04:57 pm
Yoplait's FB response (they set up a separate "Your Thoughts ? tab on their wall. They got an earful.

Quote:
Thank you for the outpouring of comments you've shared on the "Your Thoughts..." tab. This morning we shared your comments with members of the Susan G Komen organization as part of our response to this debate. Like many of you, we’re deeply disappointed that the purpose of our efforts at Yoplait -- to champion women's lives -- has been jeopardized. We're actively evaluating how to move forward with our initiatives, and considering all possible options. As you can imagine, this is a complex decision that will take some time. Thank you for your patience as we determine the best way for Yoplait -- and you, our consumers -- to have the biggest impact in this fight against breast cancer.

ehBeth

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 05:00 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:
Quote:

Thank you for your patience as we determine the best way for Yoplait -- and you, our consumers -- to have the biggest impact in this fight against breast cancer.

I think a lot of consumers have already made their decision. Perhaps someone could post a make your own yogurt guide on the Yoplait page Cool
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 05:05 pm
This was spotted in the classifieds of a D.C. newspaper:

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/39/2012/02/2c1429752993080c2f0ea09af3b6d3f5.jpg

Karen Handel was the "Vice President of Public Policy" -- they're looking for a "Director of Public Policy".

I think someone might just be out of a job over this.
JPB

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 05:09 pm
@boomerang,
I saw that, but it reports to the SVP and that's KH.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 07:02 pm
@JPB,
Slate's XX blog re the Komen situation, with some points I've thought of as well:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2012/02/06/what_does_the_susan_g_komen_foundation_actually_do_.html
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 07:08 pm
@ossobuco,
That kind of info needs to be made public to make them aware of Komen, and how they actually spend their money. It's sloppy, IMHO.

Most of us already know that their priorities are screwed up!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 10:05 am
Handel's out:

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/02/controversial-komen-executive-resigns.php
parados

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 10:14 am
@sozobe,
It will be interesting to see what she gets for a severance package. If they even reveal it.
engineer

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 10:15 am
@sozobe,
She's also come out and said that the decision to stop funding for PPP was approved at the highest levels of the organization and had broad approval.
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 10:16 am
Here is her somewhat defiant resignation letter

http://karenhandelkomen.com/

I wonder what severance package she'll receive....
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 10:17 am
@parados,
Hehe, same thoughts
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 10:20 am
@engineer,
The board approved the rule to not fund organizations under investigation.

Whether they understood it was targeted at one group under a specious investigation is another question.
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 10:22 am
@parados,
Well, CEO Botox is also a die-hard Republican and pro-lifer.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 10:27 am
@CalamityJane,
She declines any severance in her resignation letter.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 10:29 am
@engineer,
Quote:
She's also come out and said that the decision to stop funding for PPP was approved at the highest levels of the organization and had broad approval.

Meaning that the complete top level of the organization should also be removed.

Hell no one on their board could foresee the firestorm that their actions would provoke?????!!!!!!???????

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 10:29 am
@parados,
Quote:
The board approved the rule to not fund organizations under investigation.

Whether they understood it was targeted at one group under a specious investigation is another question.

LOL
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 10:46 am
Good - it's about time the Left started collecting scalps.

Cycloptichorn
DrewDad

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 11:57 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I've heard some discussion that this is really just "second verse, same as the first." That the ouster won't change their policies in the future.

Has the Komen foundation actually stated they'll still partner with Planned Parenthood past 2012?
BillRM

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2012 12:07 pm
@DrewDad,
Quote:
I've heard some discussion that this is really just "second verse, same as the first." That the ouster won't change their policies in the future.

If they don't keep funding PP it had just been shown to them that they will cut their own throats with their supporters so I do not think it going to be a future issue unless they wish to go out of existence.

As it is they had already done great harm to themselves.