Susan B. Komen foundation pulls Planned Parenthood support.

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 09:58 am
@sozobe,
Sozobe that's a myth number. Look at their IRS tax return (at their website)
and see that the majority of funds go to salaries and related expenses. Only about 20 % of the entire income goes to breast cancer research.

I definitely will continue to support Planned Parenthood, I've done so for the past 20 years, in addition of seeing first hand how much of an impact PP has in poor neighborhoods and in health related issues benefiting women.
sozobe

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 10:08 am
@CalamityJane,
This is where I got the number:

Quote:
Komen gave Planned Parenthood $700,000 last year — a tiny portion of its $93 million in grants — to finance 19 separate programs.

plus

Quote:
Ms. Williams, the managing director of community health programs at the Komen foundation, departed this month, just weeks after the decision on the funds. She was responsible for overseeing the distribution of $93 million to more than 2,000 community health organizations.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/03/us/komen-foundation-urged-to-restore-planned-parenthood-funds.html
engineer

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 10:21 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Only about 20 % of the entire income goes to breast cancer research.

True, but research is not the only thing they support. From Wikipedia for 2010
Quote:
That same fiscal year, Komen reported approximately US $360 million in expenses. $283.2 million of this went towards program services: $75.4 million (20.9 percent of total expenditure) went to research, $140.8 million (39.1 percent) went to public health education, $46.9 million (13 percent) went to health screening services, and $20.1 million (5.6 percent) went to treatment services. The other $76.8 million went to supporting services, including $36.1 million (10 percent of total expenditure) toward fund-raising costs and $40.6 million (11.3 percent) toward general and administrative costs.[25]

So you are right that 20% goes to research, but a lot more goings to education, health screening and treatment. 20% went to fund raising and overhead.
JPB

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 10:23 am
But do they "DO" any of this or are they simply a fund-raising conduit on the United Way model? I've been reading for a couple days now and I don't know what they do beyond raise money/awareness and then pick groups to give money too. Oh, and they start lawsuits to protect their brand. They want exclusive rights to pink as well. WTF?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 10:26 am
I've been having a PM conversion with my sister who is spitting mad. Not about cutting off funds to PP, but that they give her donated funds to anyone! She was under the impression that she was supporting some large BC Research Foundation that actually did research. Turning on the light bulbs at the inner workings of the SGKF is going to come back and bite them in the butt.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 10:32 am
@sozobe,
Hmm. Assuming that's true, 93 million would be a good thing. I do remember back at the research university, grants had (then) some whopping percentage taken off the top by the university for administrative costs. Something like 40%. Don't trust me on that, but I'm 99% sure. Salaries probably came out of that 40% but I'm less sure of that. <wondering>
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 10:32 am
Reversed!

Quote:

Komen for the Cure reverses decision to cut Planned Parenthood funding

Komen for the Cure just released the following statement from Nancy Brinker and the Susan G. Komen Board of Directors:

We want to apologize to the American public for recent decisions that cast doubt upon our commitment to our mission of saving women's lives.
The events of this week have been deeply unsettling for our supporters, partners and friends and all of us at Susan G. Komen. We have been distressed at the presumption that the changes made to our funding criteria were done for political reasons or to specifically penalize Planned Parenthood. They were not.

Our original desire was to fulfill our fiduciary duty to our donors by not funding grant applications made by organizations under investigation. We will amend the criteria to make clear that disqualifying investigations must be criminal and conclusive in nature and not political. That is what is right and fair.

Our only goal for our granting process is to support women and families in the fight against breast cancer . Amending our criteria will ensure that politics has no place in our grant process. We will continue to fund existing grants, including those of Planned Parenthood, and preserve their eligibility to apply for future grants, while maintaining the ability of our affiliates to make funding decisions that meet the needs of their communities.

It is our hope and we believe it is time for everyone involved to pause, slow down and reflect on how grants can most effectively and directly be administered without controversies that hurt the cause of women. We urge everyone who has participated in this conversation across the country over the last few days to help us move past this issue. We do not want our mission marred or affected by politics - anyone's politics.

Starting this afternoon, we will have calls with our network and key supporters to refocus our attention on our mission and get back to doing our work. We ask for the public's understanding and patience as we gather our Komen affiliates from around the country to determine how to move forward in the best interests of the women and people we serve.

We extend our deepest thanks for the outpouring of support we have received from so many in the past few days and we sincerely hope that these changes will be welcomed by those who have expressed their concern.

http://www.dallasnews.com/incoming/20120203-komen-for-the-cure-reverses-decision-to-cut-planned-parenthood-funding.ece
ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 10:33 am
@engineer,
Thanks for that info.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 10:33 am
"Susan G. Komen for the Cure to restore Planned Parenthood breast cancer screening funds, Sen. Frank Lautenberg says. " - CNN Breaking News. No article to link to yet.
sozobe

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 10:34 am
@Questioner,
Look up, just edited it in.

Yay!
ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 10:37 am
@sozobe,
Glad they reversed it. Their name is still mud to me, and I figure some of that will continue for some other portion of others who have reacted briskly to their moves.
Questioner

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 10:37 am
@sozobe,
Thanks for that!

Glad they finally realized the ridiculousness of their decision. Or at least caved to the pressure 'again'. Whichever way you want to look at it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 10:49 am
@ossobuco,
I think you're right.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 11:01 am
@ehBeth,
I had too many others in that sentence. I had first written women, but no, men reacted swiftly too.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 11:37 am
@ossobuco,
The Nation: Komen Pinkwashes Anti-choicers
by Katha Pollit - The Nation
February 3, 2012

Remember when anti-choicers got LifeWay Christian Resources to pull its pink-covered Here's Hope Breast Cancer Bibles from Walmart and other stores because one dollar of every sale went to the Susan G. Komen for the Cure foundation? The antis were upset that the wealthy and influential breast-cancer charity made grants to Planned Parenthood for breast exams and mammograms for low-income women. And remember when Bishop Leonard Blair of Toledo, Ohio, told his flock to stop raising money for Komen because someday in the future it might endorse stem cell research? Crazy, right?

The anti-choice movement can be so clumsy, and so weird, we forget that it is also smart and strategic and busy busy busy. Because while you were shaking your head over pink Bibles and stem-cell futurology, Komen was hiring Karen Handel as senior vice president for public policy. Handel is not your typical philanthropy administrator. She is a Republican pol, a former Georgia secretary of state, who ran in the 2010 gubernatorial primary, with endorsements from Sarah Palin, Mitt Romney and anti-immigrant finger-pointing Arizona Governor Jan Brewer. At that time she described herself as "staunchly and unequivocally pro-life," opposed to stem cell research and a fan of crisis pregnancy centers — places that have repeatedly been shown to use scare tactics and misinformation to dissuade women from seeking abortions. She vowed to eliminate from the state budget pass-through grants to Planned Parenthood for breast and cervical cancer screenings. Interestingly, she had previously supported these grants, using the exact arguments defenders of Komen's Planned Parenthood grants are making now: Planned Parenthood is the only organization capable of doing the work — reaching low-income women, for whom the Planned Parenthood clinic is often the only medical care the get — and the grant money does not fund abortions. Handel's turnaround shows you how quickly the anti-choicers have claimed formerly neutral turf: in only a few years a relationship deemed normal and good — in Georgia! — and the only existing way of providing needed services was branded with the mark of the beast.

Planned Parenthood says Komen grants totaled around $680,000 in 2011 and $580,000 the year before, accounting for around 170,000 of the 4 million breast exams it has given in the last five years. It's pretty shocking that Komen would deprive of services women it has itself admitted have no other way of getting them. As Jodi Jacobson reports on RH Reality Check, in 2011 Komen itself acknowledged Planned Parenthood's essential role in breast care:

"While Komen Affiliates provide funds to pay for screening, education and treatment programs in dozens of communities, in some areas, the only place that poor, uninsured or under-insured women can receive these services are through programs run by Planned Parenthood."

The statement continued:

"These facilities serve rural women, poor women, Native American women, women of color, and the un- and under-insured. As part of our financial arrangements, we monitor our grantees twice a year to be sure they are spending the money in line with our agreements, and we are assured that Planned Parenthood uses these funds only for breast health education, screening and treatment programs.

As long as there is a need for health care for these women, Komen Affiliates will continue to fund the facilities that meet that need."

Komen claims that the defunding is due to a new rule it has adopted that no funds be given to an organization under investigation by state, local or federal authorities. And why make such a rule just now? As it just so happens, Planned Parenthood is currently the subject of a trumped-up investigation by Representative Cliff Stearns (R-Fla) at the behest of Americans United for Life: Stearns has demanded over a decade's worth of documents in an attempt to determine whether federal dollars were used for abortion services. The very thing that Komen, only two years ago, denied was the case — and that Karen Handel herself said was not an issue in the Georgia funds she approved.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 12:52 pm
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/post/komen-caved-or-did-it/2012/02/03/gIQA9tS9mQ_blog.html
Quote:

Posted at 12:36 PM ET, 02/03/2012
Komen caved. Or did it?
By Greg Sargent

As you may have heard, the Susan G. Komen for the Cure foundation just announced that it was reversing its decision to ban Planned Parenthood from applying for grants to cover breast cancer screenings — after a massive outcry that spread from women’s groups to social media to Capitol Hill.

The question now is what its announcement actually means.

I just got off the phone with a Komen board member, and he confirmed that the announcement does not mean that Planned Parenthood is guaranteed future grants — a demand he said would be “unfair” to impose on Komen. He also said the job of the group’s controversial director, Nancy Brinker, is safe, as far as the board is concerned.

As some were quick to point out, the statement put out by Komen doesn’t really clarify whether Planned Parenthood will actually continue to get money from the group. The original rationale for barring Planned Parenthood was that it was under investigation (a witch-hunt probe undertaken by GOP Rep Cliff Stearns). Komen said today that the group would “amend the criteria to make clear that disqualifying investigations must be criminal and conclusive in nature and not political.”

Does that mean Planned Parenthood will get Komen grants in the future?

I asked Komen board member John Raffaelli to respond to those who are now saying that the announcement doesn’t necessarily constitute a reversal until Planned Parenthood actually sees more funding. He insisted it would be unfair to expect the group to commit to future grants.

“It would be highly unfair to ask us to commit to any organization that doesn’t go through a grant process that shows that the money we raise is used to carry out our mission,” Raffaelli told me. “We’re a humaniatrian organization. We have a mission. Tell me you can help carry out our mission and we will sit down at the table.”

Pushed on whether this means the new announcement wasn’t really a reversal, Raffaelli pushed back, arguing that Komen, in response to all the criticism, had removed politics from the grant-making process. “Is it really unclear that we’re changing the policy to address criticism?” he said.

Others have pointed out that Komen’s handling of this issue should lead to skepticism of its announcement. Brinker had repeatedly said Komen’s funding decision was rooted in a larger policy change and wasn’t directed at Planned Parenthood in particular, suggesting the decision wasn’t related to the fact that Planned Parenthood was under assault by the GOP. This was contradicted by at least one account. More broadly, the group’s rationale for the decision shifted over the last week.

Pressed on whether Brinker had been forthcoming, Raffaelli insisted: “Nancy was not trying to mislead anyone.” Asked if there would be an internal look at how Brinker handled the episode, Raffaelli only said there would be some kind of general look at how to prevent the politicization of grant-making in the future. Raffaelli blamed himself for the failure to handle the politics of this mess adequately, and stressed that Brinker’s career had been devoted to breast cancer prevention, and not politics.

Asked if Brinker’s job was safe, Raffaelli said: “Yes.” He added that the board “unequivocally” stood behind her.

Though Komen had hoped today’s announcement would defuse the politics of this fight, it seems plausible that pressure from both sides will only continue.
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 12:59 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
"It would be highly unfair to ask us to commit to any organization that doesn’t go through a grant process that shows that the money we raise is used to carry out our mission," Raffaelli told me. "We’re a humaniatrian organization. We have a mission. Tell me you can help carry out our mission and we will sit down at the table."

I would advise all future donors/supporters of Komen to do the same due dilligence and put the Komen Foundation through a process that shows the money they receive is used to fight breast cancer.

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 01:01 pm
@Butrflynet,
Pffffffft!

(that was to the article)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 01:57 pm
@Butrflynet,
They made a fool out of themselves, and now try to back-track, because of the tremendous bad media coverage they've gotten from it. Who the heck are on their Board of Directors? Willard?

What's more of an irony is that Planned Parenthood has received more donations from their fiasco, and I would predict that Komen will suffer for many years from their political boner.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 02:22 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

parados wrote:

Another interesting read -
Planned Parenthood has seen over $250,000 in donations while Komen may have hurt themselves. Really?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/she-the-people/post/komen-cuts-funds-to-planned-parenthood/2012/01/31/gIQAFdglgQ_blog.html

Quote:
NEW YORK — Planned Parenthood says it has received more than $400,000 from 6,000 donors in the 24 hours since news broke that its affiliates would be losing grants for breast screenings from the Susan G. Komen for the Cure breast-cancer foundation.

Komen, meanwhile, incurred vehement criticism from some members of Congress, numerous liberal advocacy groups and some newspaper editorial writers. But it was applauded by many conservative religious and anti-abortion groups that abhor Planned Parenthood for its role as the leading U.S. abortion provider.
More

How about $3,000,000?

From the PP FB Wall:
Quote:
HUGE!!! The Komen Foundation has announced they are reversing their decision!

The outpouring of support online for Planned Parenthood and women in need of breast cancer screenings has been astonishing, and because of it, the PP Breast Health Fund has received more than $3 million from thousands of people across the country in only three days. Every dollar we received for this fund will go directly for breast exams and diagnostic services, as well as breast health outreach and education. And now with the Komen announcement, even more women will receive lifesaving breast cancer care! We look forward to continuing our partnership with Komen partners, leaders and volunteers, and supporters like YOU. Thank you so much for your voice and for standing with us!!

Official Statement from PP
0 Replies