Susan B. Komen foundation pulls Planned Parenthood support.

Setanta

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 02:59 pm
Wow . . . the meltdown here is breathtaking . . .
JPB

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 03:02 pm
Quote:
The founder and chief executive for Susan G. Komen for the Cure on Thursday flatly rejected accusations that the organization caved to political pressure in cutting ties to Planned Parenthood, a move that has ignited a firestorm of controversy. More plus video of the interview
ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 03:11 pm
@JPB,
This is going to sound vague, because it is, but I'm thinking I've gotten the Komen Foundation mixed up with some other facility that is positioned in the east, either Boston or New York, one that actively treats breast cancer if I remember correctly. The name probably ends with Foundation.. anyone know the name I'm trying to think of? Hard to look it up sans a name, catch 22.

Ahhh ha, found it, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Center and Dana-Farber Institute, two different places unrelated to the Komen thing. It was the K that threw me.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 03:12 pm
I was informed by the Komen foundation several years ago, that of $100 donated to the organization, $10 actually goes to promoting the health of women.
JPB

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 03:18 pm
It will be interesting to see what happens next October with NBCA month.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 04:09 pm
Internal controversy within the SGKF over the decision including the resignation of one top official back in December when the decision was made.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/02/top-susan-g-komen-official-resigned-over-planned-parenthood-cave-in/252405/#.TysAQEl-c9I.facebook
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 04:19 pm
And Michael Bloomberg has pledged an additional $250,000 to PP. This just keeps getting better and better!

Quote:
Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, responding to the controversy over a breast cancer advocacy group that cut off most of its grants to Planned Parenthood for breast cancer screening, said Thursday that he would make up a large part of the missing money.

Mr. Bloomberg, a billionaire with a long-term interest in public health, said he would give Planned Parenthood Federation of America a $250,000 matching gift — he will donate $1 for every new dollar Planned Parenthood raises up to $250,000.

“Politics have no place in health care,” he said in a statement. “Breast cancer screening saves lives and hundreds of thousands of women rely on Planned Parenthood for access to care. We should be helping women access that care, not placing barriers in their way.” More
sozobe

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 04:22 pm
@JPB,
Wow, good for him!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 04:50 pm
@JPB,
How much longer will the Komen Foundation breathe life? Will women donate their money to Komen F?
parados

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 05:18 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Wow . . . the meltdown here is breathtaking . . .

And it's only beginning
There have been resignations from Komen

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/02/susan-g-komen_n_1250651.html

Quote:
Founder Nancy Brinker went on the defensive Thursday during an appearance on MSNBC, saying that the decision was a result of a number of congressional and state investigations into Planned Parenthood, and that most people actually applauded the decision to defund the family planning provider.

That is the statement of a woman that is trying to ignore reality. If you read the forums on Komen it is running 10 - 1 the other way from what she says.
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 05:26 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Not the ones who support Planned Parenthood and it seems the majority of women support PP.
parados

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 05:59 pm
@CalamityJane,
It will be interesting to view their financials in a year to see what the fall out has been.
jcboy

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 06:09 pm
I think it was a big mistake for komen to do that and I think this exposure will either make them change their minds or lose alot of corporate sponsors and donations. Most of america is pro choice and against anyone trying to take away that ability to make their own decisions. If they dont react and change policy now I believe one day in the coming months they will fire the evangelical who just took over the org. and change their policy back, but maybe then it might be too late.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 06:11 pm
@parados,
They will revert their decision under pressure from the public.
Key people are already resigning
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/02/susan-g-komen_n_1250651.html

Karen Handel and Nancy Brinker will have to step down and once that's
accomplished, damage control will start.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 06:17 pm
@CalamityJane,
Glad to see people will not tolerate cutting the only possible health clinics for women.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 06:44 pm
Their website got hacked -- but only a little bit:

http://chzdailywhat.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/a422efe7-8906-416e-8039-2690d0488ebb.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 06:47 am
@parados,
Ignoring reality has a limited shelf life when money is involved.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 07:21 am
I can't get over that they spend millions defending their exclusive right to use the words "for the Cure". Sounds more and more like the UW all the time. What do they actually "DO" besides raise money and spread it around?
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 09:37 am
@JPB,
My guess is that the majority of funding goes to salaries, benefits and pursuing their own agenda.

Well, it's at least in the open now and people can see the SGK Foundation
for what it is: foremost an institution following a political agenda that is counterproductive to women per se and the fight to end breast cancer.
sozobe

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 09:39 am
@CalamityJane,
They give out 93 million dollars, evidently.

That's part of what I find sad about this whole thing, the good stuff that Komen does is very good!

Maybe this whole thing will help get them focused, so we can support both Planned Parenthood and the Susan G. Komen foundation.