Susan B. Komen foundation pulls Planned Parenthood support.

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 07:12 pm
@ossobuco,
Adds, Susan Love cited her in her Breast book.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 07:33 pm
@Butrflynet,
Roses are wonderful..

on me, the date of biopsy was 9/11/01, a scenario hard to revisit. On the other hand, that was a while ago.

I've been lucky, good quick care, I had ok insurance then, and in that I've been fine, where your cousin has been fighting a long fight. Well, ca doesn't pay attention to insurance, but I was a lucky broad to know those medical centers and be able to be able to bull my way into a biopsy room, not least that after a many hour wait, people didn't show up.

I guess we're getting off topic.

Long may the Komen Foundation disintegrate.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 07:36 pm
Wow, it seems the SGK Foundation gets more bizarre by the day when news
about Ari Fleischer who was hired to break ties with Planned Parenthood,
become reality. SGKF certainly has its own agenda while hiding under the
umbrella of fighting breast cancer.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 08:01 pm
This looks interesting

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 08:34 pm
@maxdancona,
I don't just click on videos, I'm near video sated.
Why does it look interesting?
One of my major aggravations re a2k is re video link hurling with no hint.
JPB

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 08:38 pm
@ossobuco,
It's the trailer for a movie about the underbelly of the SGKF, osso. It's the same link I posted earlier.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 08:40 pm
@JPB,
ok, good for it. I'm slightly video adverse, but not always.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 08:43 pm
@ossobuco,
For youtube videos that don't have an intro typed into the post, you can click on the link under the video to go to the youtube page to read the description there.

This is the one for the pink ribbon trailer:

Quote:
Billions of dollars have been raised through the tireless efforts of women and men devoted to putting an end to breast cancer. Yet, breast cancer rates in North America have risen to 1 in 8. "What's going on?" asks Barbara Brenner in Pink Ribbons, Inc. a new film coming in 2012.

This feature documentary visits some of the massive fundraising runs and questions where the money goes and asks 'who really profits from pink ribbon campaigns?'. We meet women with metastatic breast cancer from the IV League support group of Austen, Texas who openly tell us their stories.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 08:50 pm
@Butrflynet,
The Komen Foundation CEO said, "it wasn't about politics," but not according to an article in today's San Jose Mercury News.

Nancy Brinker's comments directly contradicted those of John Raffaelli, a Komen board member and Washington lobbyist, who told the New York Times that "Komen made the changes to its grant-making process specifically to end its relationship with Planned Parenthood." Lupe Rodriguez, director of public affairs for Planned Parrenthood said, "Many of the people Planned Parenthood serves, here and nationwide, are low-income with no access to other health services." For many, it's their only access to health care and a life saver in the early detection of cancer.

Like Willard said, he doesn't worry about the poor.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2012 08:53 pm
@Butrflynet,
That drives me nuts too. Goo in development.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2012 08:57 am
Quote:
Planned Parenthood Raises $3M In Three Days

The Planned Parenthood Federation of America has raised more than $3 million in the last three days, a spokesperson told TPM, after a massive outpouring of support following the Komen Foundation's decision to cut funding. The Komen Foundation has since reversed its decision.

"Over the last three days, Planned Parenthood Federation of America's breast health fund has received more than $3 million from thousands of people across the country," the spokesperson told TPM in a statement. "Every dollar we received for this fund will go directly for breast examines, diagnostic services, breast health outreach and education so that more women can receive this critical care."

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entries/planned-parenthood-raises-3m-in-three-days
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2012 10:05 am
How does a not-for-profit agency go from gold to goat in one swift minute? Allow your decisions to be infiltrated by politics.

Quote:
A brand to trust — We are honored that Susan G. Komen for the Cure® ranked number one in a recent Harris Interactive poll as the most valued non-profit brand and the charity people are most likely to donate money to. Additionally, Komen for the Cure ranked second on the 2010 list of the nation’s most trusted charities.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2012 10:25 am
Even without the scurrilous political overtones, one has to ask why donate to a charitable clearing house. If you give Komen ten dollars, and they keep a dollar for administrative costs, then distibute the remaining nine dollars to 15 different research organizations, after those 15 organizations have deducted their administrative costs, how much of your original ten dollars actually gets spent on research?

Better to do some research of one's own, find out whom one wishes to support, and make your donations directly to them.
JPB

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2012 11:52 am
@Setanta,
I agree, Set. I came to the same conclusion about the United Way a number of years ago. Supposedly these clearing house enterprises reduce overall fundraising/overhead, but I'm not convinced it really does. I think they may be a benefit to some smaller/midsized charities but, like many things that behave as intermediaries, they become an entity of their own and start throwing their weight around inappropriately.

This was Karen Holden's tweet on Friday. I wonder what she's tweeting now?

http://yfrog.com/kkzyuyp
boomerang

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2012 12:02 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
I wonder what she's tweeting now?

I'm thinking it might be "Will work for food."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2012 12:05 pm
@JPB,
Back in the late 80s, early 90s, i worked in the charity industry. I worked for a homeless families shelter. Yes, i was paid, it was, after all, my job. But the organization funded the shelter entirely out of funds from other organizations (the largest charitable trust fund in that city, the largest private family services organization in that city, the Federal Emergency Management Agency and Catholic and Lutheran Social Services), and then used the shelter as advertising to attract donations, which they then shipped off to the national organization in order to burnish the credentials of the local director.

Exactly zero percent of any donations to that organization went to the family shelter, which proved to be a cash cow--even our salaries were paid by a joint grant from the trust fund and FEMA. When the United Way scandal broke, i was not in the least surprised. The response of people all over the country to donate locally, and donate directly to the organizations which they wished to support was a sensible reaction, and a wonderful way to deal with the problem. However, i suspect that now, however many years down the road, the lesson is forgotten.

Anyone can support reputable organizations without going through charitable clearing houses. The only real problem i see is funding research. That would require the would-be donor to do some work to find out how they can contribute directly to research foundations, rather than going through Komen.
jcboy

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2012 12:17 pm
@Setanta,
That’s where my friend Anthony and I have a difference of opinion.

He’s a member of Equality Florida. I was a member the first year I moved here but decided not to renew my membership when I found out the executive director made something like 160k a year and one event I attended raised over 12 grand in one evening, $500.00 went to the charitable organization the event was held for, the remaining funds paid salaries.
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2012 12:20 pm
@jcboy,
Nancy Brinker of the Susan G. Koman Foundation makes around
$ 500k/year, not including other benefits.
jcboy

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2012 12:25 pm
@CalamityJane,
Holy crap. Think she might be interested in marrying a gay boy? Cool
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2012 12:27 pm
@Setanta,
I agree with your comments on all this Set.
Now I'm beginning to wonder if research universities would be a good place to donate to. I once donated a painting to the breast cancer center at UCLA, asked by the person who worked to provide art to the hospital, but that of course didn't go to research. I think it is called the Revlon Breast Center now, not sure it was at the time.

Ah, looking it up, it was established by Susan Love, M.D., whom I look on as kind of the mother of relatively recent bc research. When I was first reading about the Revlon BC center just now, it struck me as primarily clinical, but no, there is a research lab that is part of it.
http://breastcenter.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=18

Anyway, my point is that I think at least some local universities with good med centers have ongoing research into bc happening, and it is probably relatively easy to check out how serious it is or not. I've little doubt that donations straight to the research section would have university administrative deductions, but it seems smarter than giving to an umbrella group of whatever pastel color.
0 Replies