Susan B. Komen foundation pulls Planned Parenthood support.

JPB

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 05:50 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

Another interesting read -
Planned Parenthood has seen over $250,000 in donations while Komen may have hurt themselves. Really?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/she-the-people/post/komen-cuts-funds-to-planned-parenthood/2012/01/31/gIQAFdglgQ_blog.html

Quote:
NEW YORK — Planned Parenthood says it has received more than $400,000 from 6,000 donors in the 24 hours since news broke that its affiliates would be losing grants for breast screenings from the Susan G. Komen for the Cure breast-cancer foundation.

Komen, meanwhile, incurred vehement criticism from some members of Congress, numerous liberal advocacy groups and some newspaper editorial writers. But it was applauded by many conservative religious and anti-abortion groups that abhor Planned Parenthood for its role as the leading U.S. abortion provider.
More
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 06:27 pm
This is great news! I hope SBKF will eat their words and fire Karen Handel along with it.

I am so proud of all women, who so quickly acted on this and come to the
rescue for Planned Parenthood. I've volunteered at PP for many years and
so many of our San Diego clinics are strictly prenatal with emphasis towards
immigrant women who have no other means to get prenatal care for free.

That's aside from all other services including cancer screening!
ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 06:47 pm
@CalamityJane,
Of the people I've emailed and who've emailed back fairly fast (it's only a few hours so far) a lot of those have already signed the petition. Pretty awake group.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 06:49 pm
@CalamityJane,
I'm proud of the way people have responded to this too, CJane. I wasn't really that surprised to see people come down solidly on the side of Planned Parenthood -- I think they have much more support than anyone realizes and I hope this lights a fire under people to continue to support them directly.

I've read some really interesting things browsing around this afternoon. In a business/marketing forum I look in on people were saying that this decision could very well ruin the Komen "brand".

Many people are pulling out of their races and donating the entry fee to PP. Others are planning on wearing PP T-shirts to Race for the Cure events. Some are organizing competing races to fund PP.

From what I hear, survivors of breast cancer are the maddest of them all -- they feel "betrayed" by the Komen Foundation.
Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 06:51 pm
This is all very encouraging. YAY Planned parenthood!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 07:07 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
From what I hear, survivors of breast cancer are the maddest of them all -- they feel "betrayed" by the Komen Foundation.

I would be too, boomer! They're (Karen Handel etc.) are using SBKF for their own political agenda. If it weren't for the Planned Parenthood free cancer screening, millions of women would opt out of a mammogram as
they cannot afford to pay for it and/or have no insurance to cover cancer screening.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 07:12 pm
@boomerang,
The republicans are out to kill Planned Parenthood with their lies about abortion, and it seems to influence a lot of dumb and smart people to their way of thinking. Sad, but true. Too many Americans are ill-informed to make decisions concerning the very organization that saves many lives - especially women.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 07:20 pm
Here is the national sponsor page. I have already fired off a few emails to them.

http://ww5.komen.org/RacefortheCureSponsors.aspx
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 08:38 pm
What makes me madder than what occurred today with Planned Parenthood is that I have, for so many years, just blindly cheerleaded for the Komen foundation without ever actually looking at who these people were and how they ran and funded the foundation.

If I had, I would have switched my efforts to a smaller breast cancer charity a long time ago.

So, I am thankful to the Susan G. Komen Foundation for shaking me awake and making me take a much harder look at them.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 08:41 pm
@Butrflynet,
It's tough to know how any charitable foundation works, but especially their politics.

I've given up on most charities except Second Harvest Food Bank and Habitat for Humanities. They provide food and housing regardless of race, culture, country, or any group people wish to identify. I don't worry, because it's been many years that I have contributed to both of these charities, and can sleep at night knowing they don't play politics with the money; they serve everybody.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 09:45 pm
I haven't read all this yet myself (it's nine pages), but figure some of you will be interested.

New Yorker Magazine
AMERICAN CHRONICLES

BIRTHRIGHT
What’s next for Planned Parenthood?
by Jill Lepore
November 14, 2011

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/11/14/111114fa_fact_lepore

No point in my clipping, as typically a NYer article goes into depth and can be hard to summarize or just excerpt from.
This one's obviously written before this recent bruhaha, , but not much before.

0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 08:30 am
http://chzdailywhat.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/fcb5ead8-6e72-4fe7-94ae-42ec4386c38b2.jpg
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 09:54 am
@boomerang,
I liked that too!!

I have received so many emails from friends, all urging to sign the petition and support Planned Parenthood. I say it again: I am so proud of us women! We're all taking a stand and respond so quickly, Susan B. Koman foundation will regret this if they haven't already!
ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 10:02 am
@boomerang,
As a post-bc person, I've not gotten into the pink thing for my own idiosyncratic reasons related to my medical research history - if I have money to donate or time to give, I'd prefer to be more direct - but have understood others getting into it as a way to foster awareness for whatever portion of the population that are somehow still unaware of breast cancer. I could always see running/walking races related to it, if not re administrative costs and whatever, but for the community solidarity. But I know there are other diseases out there, with several that get little donation money since relatively few people are affected. The diseases still need attention both for the people suffering with them and for the progress of science, and for reasons related to pharmaceutical profits, they aren't getting it.

I've been wary of big organization donation rigamaroles since in one of my long time jobs in research, we were all expected - 100% pushed on insistantly, re donations to United Way - and I flat out refused, year after year.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 10:11 am
Quote:
"One of the things many women don't understand is that the founder of Komen, Nancy Brinker, has had a long-standing and supportive relationship with the Bush family with the Bush presidencies, with the Republican party and on many occasions has supported policies that most supporters of Komen probably wouldn't approve of," said Judy Norsigian of the Our Bodies, Ourselves, the popular women's health guide.

NPR
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 10:11 am
@CalamityJane,
I know, this is everywhere in email and Facebook. Good!

Has anyone posted the Colbert thing yet?

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/369693/january-03-2011/tip-wag---susan-g--komen-foundation---spider-man-musical
ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 10:23 am
@sozobe,
Thanks for the link!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 10:47 am
@sozobe,
Interesting! So, aside from withholding support to Planned Parenthood,
the Susan B. Komen foundation is using donated funds to sue other cancer fighting organizations just because they used the slogan "for the cure"....

Another slap in the face of everyone thinking that their donation dollar is actually going towards the fight of breast cancer!
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 02:09 pm
@CalamityJane,
Shewolf educated me on this yesterday.

Here's the info she gave me:

Quote:
... was started by a company who not only is the number one producer of cancer causing organic pesticides and NON organic pesticides, but it is also oneo f the 'share holders" in the copyright / trademark of the pink ribbon symbol and financially benefit from its product placement, sales and such.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Breast_Cancer_Awareness_Month
National Breast Cancer Awareness Month -

Breast Cancer Awareness Month (BCAM) (also referred to in America as National Breast Cancer Awareness Month (NBCAM)) is an annual international health campaign organized by major breast cancer charities every October to increase awareness of the disease and to raise funds for research into its cause...

Criticisms
[edit] Corporate Sponsorship

It has been alleged that "the BCAM idea 'was conceived and paid for by a British chemical company that both profits from this epidemic and may be contributing to its cause...'".[13]

Sometimes referred to as National Breast Cancer Industry Month, critics of NBCAM point to a conflict of interest between corporations sponsoring breast cancer awareness while profiting from diagnosis and treatment. The breast cancer advocacy organization, Breast Cancer Action, has said repeatedly in newsletters and other information sources that October has become a public relations campaign that avoids discussion of the causes and prevention of breast cancer and instead focuses on “awareness” as a way to encourage women to get their mammograms. The term pinkwashing has been used by Breast Cancer Action to describe the actions of companies which manufacture and use chemicals which show a link with breast cancer and at the same time publicly support charities focused on curing the disease.[14] Other criticisms center on the marketing of "pink products" and tie ins, citing that more money is spent marketing these campaigns than is donated to the cause.[15]

Cure as "Treatment" vs. "Prevention"

The Cancer Prevention Coalition has criticized the basic message of NBCAM as a form of victim blaming because it focuses on "early detection and treatment" while ignoring environmental factors.[16] According Aaron Blair, Ph.D., chief of the Occupational Epidemiology Branch in National Cancer Institute's Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, For breast cancer, hormone use is one of the major factors affecting risk.[17] According to Rose Marie Williams, a columnist for the Townsend Letter, drug, chemical, and biotechnology companies have a vested interest in treating the disease rather than finding ways to minimize its rate of incidence.[18] Recent studies show that breast cancer is linked to several environmental and genetic factors which can be controlled or mitigated.[19]

imperial chemical industries is the company, now under a different name - " A decade-old multi-million dollar deal between National Breast Cancer Awareness Month sponsors and Imperial Chemical Industries (ICI) has produced reckless misinformation on breast cancer," stated Dr. Samuel Epstein, a leading international authority on cancer-causing effects of environmental pollutants.

Zeneca Pharmaceutical, a U.S. subsidiary and recent spin-off of ICI, has been the sole funder of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month since 1984. ICI is one of the largest manufacturers of petrochemical and chlorinated organic products, such as acetochlor and vinyl chloride, and the sole manufacturer of Tamoxifen, the world’s top-selling cancer drug used for breast cancer. Financial sponsorship by Zeneca/ICI gives them editorial control over every leaflet, poster, publication, and commercial produced by NBCAM. NBCAM is promoted by the cancer establishment, the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and the American Cancer Society (ACS) with their corporate sponsors.

Imperial Chemical Industries has supported the cancer establishment’s blame-the-victim attitude toward the causes of breast and other cancers. This theory attributes escalating cancer rates to heredity and faulty lifestyle, rather than avoidable exposures to industrial carcinogens contaminating air, water, food, consumer products, and the workplace.

" The ICI/NBCAM public relations campaign has prevented women from knowing of avoidable causes of breast cancer," concluded Dr. Epstein.

Chicago, October 14, 1996-- released by the Cancer Prevention Coalition

Samuel S. Epstein, M.D.
Cancer Prevention Coalition
c/o University of Illinois at Chicago
School of Public Health, M/C 922
2121 W. Taylor Street
Chicago, IL 60612

[email protected]

petrochemical and chlorinated organic products, such as acetochlor and vinyl chloride ( as stated above) are one of the number ONE environmental causes for cancers that accumulate and thrive in human breast tissue....

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 02:53 pm
And to Roger and others who may wonder about this - here's a Slate article on can you sue Pfizer re unintended pregnancy:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2012/02/pfizer_recall_can_women_sue_the_maker_of_defective_birth_control_pills_for_the_cost_of_an_unintended_pregnancy_.html
0 Replies