why fear death???

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 12:22 pm
yes. it is the unknown. but, so many religions explain what happens afterward, so why be worried?
even people in "easy reward" religions are scared to death (forgive the pun) of death. what do they have to be afraid of? isnt it taken care of with bathtism, what ever you need to get into heaven? what's so scary?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 12 • Views: 12,503 • Replies: 71
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 12:25 pm
Not everybody who wants to live as long as possible has for the motive, fear of death. Death is much longer than life. Why rush it?
hamilton

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 12:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
life is much shorter than death. why rush that?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 02:09 pm
@edgarblythe,
Right, Edgar. I don't want to die (at least not soon) because I enjoy my life so much, not because I fear death. As I like to say, my beforebirth was no problem so why should afterlife be treated as a problem?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 02:21 pm
@hamilton,
hamilton wrote:
yes. it is the unknown. but, so many religions explain what happens afterward, so why be worried?
even people in "easy reward" religions are scared to death (forgive the pun) of death. what do they have to be afraid of? isnt it taken care of with bathtism, what ever you need to get into heaven?

what's so scary?
The loss of your deciduous human body
b4 u have used it optimally.

David
hamilton

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 03:16 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
what is optimally?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 03:30 pm
@hamilton,
hamilton wrote:
what is optimally?
to best effect; having had the most possible fun

David
0 Replies

Emotion

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 04:38 pm
Various religions/philosophies claim to know what comes after death. What follows after death can be entrance to either heaven or hell, reincarnation or simply nothing. Now this is just the main line, I'm not taking into account that these answers can be divided into various sub-answers, for lack of a better word. What I'm trying to say is that heaven and hell, reincarnation and nothing can be explained and allegorically interpreted in different ways and that some people don't know what exactly will happen afterwards. Now I'm not trying to go into religion here, let me move on.

Now I personally fear death too. I fear that I will lose everything I learned and experienced in this life. I fear that I will forget about my friends, family and knowledge. I am a rational thinker and I simply want to know for sure (as I do with many other things) that what a certain religion tell me, is the truth. Things that are certain are hard to find so I tend to live a very scary and concerned life...

Michael de montaigne wrote something very interesting and reassuring about death. It's the things in life you'll miss, but if you say goodbye to them in a decent way death isn't that hard.
JLNobody

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 06:11 pm
@Emotion,
In a sense you will lose everything when you die. In another sense, you'll take everything that is your experience of life with you. In still another sense when you exist no longer how can there be a loser of everything? How can you even be dead when there's no you to be in a state of death, no subject (you) for the predicate (state of death)?
It all makes no sense. Our fear of death is just a symptom of confusion and delusion.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 06:13 pm
@JLNobody,
...more "you" die in every second...and yet live...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 07:12 pm
@JLNobody,
It's simply self protective reflex to fear death. Perfectly natural, but the mind informs us that it will be alright.
reasoning logic

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 07:25 pm
@hamilton,
I am not scared at least not yet! I have considered taking my own life if I am ever very bad off because I have seen some of my relatives that are very old living in a way that I wish not to live!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 09:56 pm
@edgarblythe,
Edgar, I wonder if we reflexively fear "death" itself or if we fear an idea that has been taught to us. Animals flee predators, but I don't think it's a fear of death; it's simply programmed behavior, like a startle response. It's function is, as you say, self protective. That's why animals, and we, have it. We would flee the predator even if we did not fear the notion of death.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2011 10:06 pm
@JLNobody,
I agree with you in this...how can we fear that which we do not know ?
We may well fear damage aggression conflict etc but death ? If we fear death we fear only what we imagine of it...
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 07:33 am
@hamilton,
Quote:
why fear death???
There is no reason to fear it.
Do not confuse your meatsuit with your self, your being, your consciousness.

People whose meatsuits have stopped functioning (e.g. heart attacks)
for a while, such that thay got out of them (like a motorist whose engine has stalled)
have lost all fear of so-called "death".

Death is a fake (tho its a quick way to lose weight),
but we shoud have fun with our meatsuits as long as possible.

www.IANDS.org

David
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 08:51 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Perfectly natural, but the mind informs us that it will be alright.

I have yet to reach that stage Sir Edgar. Confused
0 Replies

Dasein

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 09:34 am
@JLNobody,
Humans like having the comfort of the illusion of predictability. It makes them feel like they are in control.

Death is an uncertain certainty, it can happen at any moment. You're certain its going to happen, however, you don't know when. We don't like that so we avoid it. We are happy clinging to the illusion of control, which is humorous because nobody has had any control since the moment of their birth.

We avoid death because death reminds us that we are not in control.

Just about everybody doesn't realize that the avoidance of death is the avoidance of life.

BTW - when I speak of death I don't mean demise.
wayne

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 09:49 am
Aside from the fear of painful dying, we naturally fear the unknown, the dark, opaque waters.
Children always open their very first present with trepidation.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 09:49 am
@Dasein,
Very well profoundly put Dasein. Even a putz like myself can understand it.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 10:06 am
@wayne,
You must not have any kids!