Knowledge of Death

Reply Fri 9 Aug, 2013 11:01 pm
If there is one absolute constant in life, it's the fact that we all know we are going to eventually die.

Knowing death: is knowing time is limited, is knowing experience is limited. Death is our limit.

Anything that is limited, is limited by what makes it limited, in this case, knowing we are going to die or death.

Is this knowledge of death, the knowledge that allows all of our motivations, all of our sense of emotion, all of our sense of reality to be?

If we were immortal would we have any motivation, any emotion, any reality?

Is the constant of life, the meaning of life, and why we are the way we are? And is it hidden because we don't want it to be true?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 4,556 • Replies: 32
No top replies

trying2learn

Reply Fri 9 Aug, 2013 11:25 pm
@mikeymojo,
Plain and simple yes, we will all die. The thought of my death doesn't change my life or how I think or act.

I have gone through respiratory failure 5 times now and I feel I haven't changed. What has changed me was the death of certain loved ones.
mikeymojo

Reply Fri 9 Aug, 2013 11:58 pm
@trying2learn,
Maybe death is what shaped your life, the reason why you care about your loved ones dying. If you knew no one died, why would you worry about your loved one's dying? Why would you have done anything in your life you've done? Because you've always known you've had a limited and once in a lifetime to do it. That's pretty much what I'm saying
neologist

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 12:11 am
We were not created to grow old and die. If Adam and Eve had not sinned, they would still be here.
mikeymojo

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 12:20 am
@neologist,
And you and I wouldn't, would we?
neologist

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 12:25 am
@mikeymojo,
What makes you say that?
mikeymojo

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 12:30 am
@neologist,
Because we are here and Adam and Eve aren't.
mikeymojo

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 12:48 am
@mikeymojo,
And again, we don't want it to be true.
trying2learn

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 12:57 am
@mikeymojo,
If I had a choice I wouldn't have been born. I care about my dad and sister dying because I miss them. I don't care when I die because I won't know the difference.
mikeymojo

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 01:31 am
@trying2learn,
But you do know you will die, no matter the difference, right?
trying2learn

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 01:33 am
@mikeymojo,
Of course I know I am going to die. The thought doesn't bother me.
mikeymojo

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 01:41 am
@trying2learn,
Maybe not now, but you can't say you didn't do what you've done in your life believing you'd be doing it forever. If you and everyone you knew were immortal, how much of you're life do you think you'd have lived?
mikeymojo

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 02:05 am
@mikeymojo,
My point is, if people didn't know death, what would they know? There'd be no boundaries because death is what creates boundaries. We base everything we do knowing we are going to die, whether we put thought into it or not. Is it a coincidence that the only time we don't know of death is when we are toddlers and remember anything?
trying2learn

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 02:11 am
@mikeymojo,
No I didn't think I would do my life in forever. I have lived a great life. I've been to many places outside the Unite States and inside too. I have met many people, unfortunately, not family members. The best memories are of my dad, my sister and the many animals I have come across.
mikeymojo

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 02:38 am
@trying2learn,
T2L, I apologize if I got personal. I'm just saying death gives us all limitations and we all live by those limitations, and those limitations are what we base most of our lives on. We may not realize it, but our death is what motivates us to live our lives, care about others and know it. If no one ever died, would the feeling be the same? Would anything be the same?
trying2learn

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 02:56 am
@mikeymojo,
You don't have to apologize. If you piss me off, I will let you know. Death doesn't motivate me to live, learning does. I can't answer your last question because I don't have an answer.
Tichama

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 03:15 am
Anything painful provides us motivation. As we are hungry so we have to eat and so we have to work so we can do that. But think of things also that bring us joy that gives motivation; you like a certain girl so you strike up the courage to ask her out or you like fishing so you go through a somewhat painful experience just to be out in the wilderness and escape the bustle of the city. Life brings it's own motivators. What I'm saying is, yes, death can motivate someone to experience life but don't you think life would be more peaceful if death were no concern at all? Take for example a tree. It really has no realization of it's existence but it grows as time goes by, and it grows in peace as it has no conflict in nature. Many trees grow for thousands of years just letting time pass away, yet they still produce their leaves, some even produce fruit as the seasons go by, so they do their thing from season to season. Imagine yourself though, what you could accomplish as a thinking creature if you were to live such an age. How many instruments could you master? How many goals would you accomplish? People set goals not because they think they are going to die, but because they have a hankering for doing something - whatever that may be. But as for death, it too will pass away - so says the bible at Revelation 21:3,4

"And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Look! God's dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." -NIV

That's one reason why He is called "The God of peace" (1 Thessalonians 5:23)

trying2learn

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 03:20 am
@Tichama,
Have you ever been nearly dead? I have and it isn't pleasant.
0 Replies

mikeymojo

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 03:28 am
@trying2learn,
I think you want to learn because you know you only have a limited time to learn, sounds like motivation one way or another. Death is the one constant no one wants to believe that everyone knows is true. It's more true than any religion, belief or opinion anyone can think of. How can the most truthful thing in our lives not influence us on how we live our lives?
0 Replies

mikeymojo

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2013 03:40 am
@Tichama,
That would stick if our lives were A) trees and B) constant. Our emotions, feelings, beliefs, and ideas aren't constants because we can change them. We can't change death, that's the constant. We are all going to die, we all know it, and we do as much in our lives before we die. We only do what we do because we know we are going to die and we have no clue what will happen after death. It's why people don't care what they do in life.
0 Replies