why fear death???

Leadfoot

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2016 09:22 am
@fresco,
I doubt any of those 30,000+ people who voluntarily chose death last year appreciate any of your fine distinctions..
fresco

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2016 09:43 am
@Leadfoot,
Of course they don't. A good proportion are even likely to believe that 'death' may be potentially ' a preferable state of 'being'. (Consult the latest atrocity news if in doubt). For them 'fear of death' is irrelevant. That why we cannot argue that 'suicide figures' mitigate against 'fear of death'.
The whole point is that this thread is about fear of death. It is no consolation to those with that fear that others do not have it. IMO it is better to point out that they themselves are already familiar with a state of 'loss of awareness' every time they enter dreamless sleep, or undergo general anesthesia. Religious palliatives may be additionally therapeutic for obvious reasons, but I admit to raising that point in anticipation of your own possible fallback position given your posting history.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 6 May, 2016 05:21 am
We don't fear death but the process of dying. And we fear it for the love of life. The fear of dying is proof of the value of life no matter what. Also, hell is better then emptiness. Nature abohrs emptiness. That said Suicide is a legitimate act of madness...a leap, a jump, to final order and one with everything.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sun 8 May, 2016 04:31 pm
@fresco,
I felt it more productive to elaborate on my reply to your previous post rather that the vacuous verbiage of your last one.
Quote:
The choice is not 'death' per se but the 'cessation of life'.
Well Duhh, yeah.

Quote:
'Fear of death' is indeed fear of a 'hypothetical state of being'. As such it is logically vacuous unless you argue that 'being' transcends 'death'.
You are simply guilty of transference here. You have no idea whether people who commit suicide fear death or that they believe that 'being transcends death'. The evidence would suggest that they do not fear death but simply prefer non-existence.

fresco

Reply Sun 8 May, 2016 11:25 pm
@Leadfoot,
What evidence ? Suicides appear to be multi-faceted, the common rationality being 'escape from THIS existence/life/problem' but not particularly 'cessation of existence per se'. Those who fear death, on the other hand, do fear the hypothetical 'experience of the void of non-existence'. And with respect to the 'fear of the dying process', with its associated pain or loss of identity, I suggest that that itself constitutes a different 'problem' to the fear of 'non-being' ....a problem obviously 'solved' by euthanasia/suicide without consideration of any 'void'.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 8 May, 2016 11:59 pm
@Leadfoot,
BTW If think I am making a 'fine distinction' I suggest you have never had the personal experience of fear of the death-void. As a child that fear could bring me out in a cold sweat as I lay in bed contemplating the brevity of life....that my 'death bed' was just a few more 'sleeps' away from the child's bed I lay worrying in.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 05:33 am
@fresco,
We all are already dead, we always were...
...we have to ride the movie of "our life" with tranquilty and peace of mind.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 05:38 am
@Leadfoot,
Well...they do not know what they prefer...suicide is a leap of faith, a jump into an unknow bus...
...personally I have no idea what is to be a piece of dirt one with nature... in any case its not non existence, is just not self...but then the self I use to have while alive is just an elaborate ilusion...guessing the unguesseble, death is closer to truth.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 07:22 am
@fresco,
Quote:
BTW If think I am making a 'fine distinction' I suggest you have never had the personal experience of fear of the death-void. As a child that fear could bring me out in a cold sweat as I lay in bed contemplating the brevity of life....that my 'death bed' was just a few more 'sleeps' away from the child's bed I lay worrying in.
You may be somewhat right there but I'd be interested in why you experienced such fear of death as a child? Or do you consider that normal? I experienced "not ready to die" feelings as I walked point in Vietnam but not 'fear of death'.

Which one of us is the freak?
fresco

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 08:59 am
@Leadfoot,
As far as I can judge 'fear of the void' is one of the normal driving forces behind the adoption of religion by cognate homo sapiens. (It may even manifest perceptually as the illusion of the night sky as a flattened domed ceiling i.e. closure against the void).
meinfinitist

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 11:24 pm
@fresco,
Every night you die, you just wake up back here.
Why fear a non wake up?
fresco

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 12:23 am
@meinfinitist,
Read the thread! That is what I have said. But that logic is not available to a child,
0 Replies