Nerd, Dork, or Cool Kid

eoe

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 11:22 pm
In high school, were you one of the cool kids or were you a nerd? Were you a cheerleader, on the football team, or president of the science club?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,100 • Replies: 97
No top replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 11:48 pm
I don't think I was a nerd. I hung out mainly with hippie type people. I was in the concert band, choir, a folk singing group, and did artwork and props for the school plays.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 12:07 am
I was a hippie as well.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 12:08 am
And still am, but now I'm a country hippie. Peace :-D
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 12:09 am
Try to imagine a cowgirl hippie and that would be me.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 07:03 am
My sissers a cowgirl hippie??? You wear flowers in your hair, under your cowgirl hat?
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 07:17 am
Nerd. Should have aspired to greater things... such as Geek.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 07:30 am
I was popular with the unpopular kids. So I won the elections for student council, class officer, homecoming king, etc., because there were a lot more unpopular kids than popular ones. Also editor of the school paper, member of the debate and forensics teams, appeared in school plays. But I was never in the in crowd, which was reserved for male athletes and good looking girls, and I didn't have the integrity or self-confidence to fight the system, or speak up for the kids who were less popular than me. I just accepted what is, generally speaking, an evil caste system, as though it had sprung from the mind of God.

Hated high school.
0 Replies

user

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 07:37 am
As I'm still in high school I guess I don't have the ability to think about it objectively now.
But I think no one would consider me a nerd...more like a strange guy kinda used to liquor but still able to reach pretty good scores.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 09:09 am
Nerd/hippie/drama club - about the only groups I didn't hang with were the jocks and uber-popular crowd.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 09:14 am
Greyfan, you were so involved in school, the paper, theatre, clubs, did you really hate high school or did you just hate the caste system of high school?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 09:27 am
I was what was called a "clutch-head". Spent most of my formative high school years out in the parking lot smoking and drinking beer while poking around under the hood of someone's car.
0 Replies

taffykaydee

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 09:31 am
Cool
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 09:32 am
I was called a "burn-out"...you know, that gal you were scared to pass in the hallway that hung down on the corner smoking, listening to rock n roll, dressing in black and leather, wearing way too much eyeliner....we were just hippie leftovers really.
But, I was also in the nerd classes/extra cirricular groups/on a sports team so...I had a variety of common peeps...I just looked out of place with alot of them Smile
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 09:34 am
funny term "highschool";

maybe now it should be 'high'school?

always appears to be rather 'low'end to me.
(but then i was never big on 'climbing') Shocked
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

I was among the finest (100 pound) wrestlers in the State of Wisconsin, so I could freely move within the cool circles, but I wasn't cool. I was among the best chess players, but I didn't quite fit in with the nerds either, because I didn't study. My core group of friends consisted of people who didn't really belong to any group. I judged people based exclusively on who they were and never much cared how I was judged. Having realized this early on; I typically stood up to be counted with whom ever was being picked on. I guess I've always been amused by adversity. To some degree, I still am.
0 Replies

sozobe

That's what they used to call it, eh, fishin'? :-P

I dunno what I was. Had jock tendencies, was on soccer, track, and x-country ski teams, had jock friends. Definite nerd tendencies. Had hippie and punk and baldie (anti-racist skinhead) friends. Introduced a lot of people who became friends with each other. Kind of Jill of all groups, mistress of none, though.
0 Replies

innie

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 09:48 am
with my homeschool friends i'm in the popular crowd

im only at public school for two periods so its a bit hard to tell if im a nerd of cool or whatever... i have friends in both classes, but i dont reallythnk im there long enough to judge.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 10:05 am
I played football and basketball, more vocational oriented on the education side. Not really a nerd but I rejected the pretentious 'in' crowd and did my own thing as I am and was more introverted.

Had lots of friends but didn't enjoy school at all, I had a lot of responsibilities and chores at home so school was just another chore to me.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 10:12 am
there I was, 1960, I'm wearing a yellow Nehru jacket and driving a '48 Packard convertable, D.A. haircut and hanging at the beat club (The Exodus Club) black turtle neck, pastel cigarettes and digging Lenny Bruce while this chic from across town is singing folk songs (Judy Collins) 3/2 beer and its the end of the Eisenhower era. Dave Brubeck "take 5" is the only "45" record I own. The world I know is about to disappear.
0 Replies