Nerd, Dork, or Cool Kid

katya8

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 11:24 am
I love reading everyone's story. Would like to ask a gezillion questions, but won't.

We never had a prom. Imagine dancing with a bunch of penguins!! I did start a tennis, chess, and bridge club that was half female and half guys from the all-male "other" catholic high school.

All of this was in Holland, for just in case you can't relate.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 11:55 am
I never did the prom thing either.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 01:16 pm
I went to the prom with my cousin, his gal broke up with him 2 weeks prior...only nice thing to do.

Then I went to my prom with a jerk...shouldve asked my cousin, much more fun.

My best friend was prom queen---do not hold it against me...most shocking to all of us actually.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 01:45 pm

quiet underachiever in a math & science school known for its westinghouse winners.
long hair when everyone else went short. athletic, mostly ultimate frisbee. hung out with potheads, but never actually inhaled. Wink
skipped the prom -- thought it was lame (still do!)
didn't care for most of the people in my year; hung out with seniors when i was a junior; juniors when i was a senior.

overall a negative experience. couldn't wait to graduate/escape...
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 01:54 pm
Why is a prom lame, region?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 02:02 pm

hmm..can't quite put it into words, eoe. Confused

(thinkin...)

i guess its just not my cuppa tea...
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 02:53 pm
I didn't go because I hated high school and most of my friends were older and didn't go to my school. My boyfriend at the time and myself were content just being with eachother.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 03:09 pm
Speaking of "popular" in high school always makes me think of the "clicks". You know.....the popular VS the unpopular. We'll stay in our little group....you stay in yours. I always HATED that. People are people. Everyone has something in common. The most basic being..everyone has a heart.

As far as myself. I hate to say I was "popular". I had my fair share of friends. Was on the cheerleading squad. I was no prom queen though. That stuff just never appealed to me.

But......

One day I befriended a girl that everyone seemed to like to pick on. She didn't dress that well....and she didn't have the best hygiene. So I decided I was going to try and help her by taking her home with me for a week-end. When some of my friends found out they tried to change my mind. They told me I would be considered "just like her". At that point....I knew I would rather be just like her....then just like them.

So I took her home. Gave her some of my clothes. My Moms sister is a hairdresser. I got her cleaned up and her hair cut and styled. And she looked fantastic Very Happy I was so proud of her!

We went back to school on Monday.....and you should have seen the mouths fly open and the eyes pop out. She was a definite looker.

~Brooke
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 03:17 pm

high school makeover!
reminds me of ally sheedy & molly ringwald in "breakfast club"...
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 03:20 pm
justa_babbling_brooke wrote:
Speaking of "popular" in high school always makes me think of the "clicks". You know.....the popular VS the unpopular. We'll stay in our little group....you stay in yours. I always HATED that. People are people. Everyone has something in common. The most basic being..everyone has a heart.

As far as myself. I hate to say I was "popular". I had my fair share of friends. Was on the cheerleading squad. I was no prom queen though. That stuff just never appealed to me.

But......

One day I befriended a girl that everyone seemed to like to pick on. She didn't dress that well....and she didn't have the best hygiene. So I decided I was going to try and help her by taking her home with me for a week-end. When some of my friends found out they tried to change my mind. They told me I would be considered "just like her". At that point....I knew I would rather be just like her....then just like them.

So I took her home. Gave her some of my clothes. My Moms sister is a hairdresser. I got her cleaned up and her hair cut and styled. And she looked fantastic Very Happy I was so proud of her!

We went back to school on Monday.....and you should have seen the mouths fly open and the eyes pop out. She was a definite looker.

~Brooke

Bravo girl!!!! I love the way you think ;-)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 04:00 pm
Uh oh. We have a real and intelligent blondie blonde on A2K now. No more blonde jokes!
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 04:00 pm
I was a Beatnik/Jock and attended all football games, dances, and proms.

Was also on the Basketball and swim teams. Was popular with my classmates, and got along with just about everyone. Wasn't a click type person - still pretty much get along with all types of people.

Coulda done without all the scolastic stuff, and hated gov/econ classes.

So wouldn't ya know I'd become an animal activist involved with politics. Smile
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 04:11 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Uh oh. We have a real and intelligent blondie blonde on A2K now. No more blonde jokes!

LOL.......I don't know about that. I have been known to certainly act like the stereotyped blonde on occassion.

Comes naturally though Laughing

~Brooke
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 04:13 pm
I was a hoodlum rocker hippie doper, the kid who could do so much if he'd just live up to his potential....won an academic scholarship but dropped out of school.......

As a court appointed psychologist once said...

Stephen Quinney...doesn't give a sh1t, never did never will....

right on target....
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 04:18 pm
justa_babbling_brooke wrote:
Comes naturally though Laughing

~Brooke

That much is obvious. Smile
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 04:28 pm
I was a blond once and I just may be one again.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 04:39 pm
Just as long as brooke isn't from Wooster, she'll be okay.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 05:17 pm
Oh yeah, I didn't go to the prom, either.

For me, it was more because I was dating a guy who looked a lot like me (or I looked like him - we both had long ash-blond hair and glasses, and were about the same height). We'd walk through the halls and people would stare; after we passed, folks would ask (loudly enough for us to hear): "were those two girls?" He was also picked on quite a bit and frankly neither of us wanted to go into a situation wherein the people who'd be in the court and all of that would be the same folks picking a fight with him.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 05:22 pm
I was one of five people who were the first to grow their hair long in the mid 60's in my neighborhood but I was the least hippie-ish.

The look on some idiots face when he grabbed me by the hair expecting me to fold only to find that without comment I would hit him was priceless.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 05:41 pm
This is a fast moving thread...

Awhile back, eoe asked:

Quote:
Greyfan, you were so involved in school, the paper, theatre, clubs, did you really hate high school or did you just hate the caste system of high school?

Both. I didn't do anything for the enjoyment of it; only because it was expected. Consequently, I didn't get much out of anything either. My close friends were like me, achieving things we could do without much effort, but distinguished mostly by apathy and dread for the future, which, with Vietnam in full swing and a national student/hippie movement that questioned all the traditional values we had grown up with gaining strength -a cultural change we were aware of even though we and our town were not really part of it- looked pretty bleak.

I am amazed at the number of people here who successfully moved between castes or ignored them: in my time and place (1968-70, a small town in Michigan) this simply was not an option. You could be a hood, a jock, a brain, in band, or....nothing. Pigeonholed for life.
0 Replies