MontereyJack

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 03:35 am
.see post below
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 03:35 am
Rex, the problem is you seem to be running counter to the federal Communications Decency Act:
Quote:
The Federal Communications Decency Act (CDA) grants immunity to ISPs in libel and privacy suits involving their subscribers.[14] Recent cases interpreting the CDA have found that even where ISPs do examine and discover defamatory content, they retain their immunity and are under no obligation to remove or retract such statements.[15] Unless there are compelling facts proving otherwise, ISPs are to be regarded automatically as common carriers, just as a telephone company or library would be, and any knowledge they have concerning their subscribers' expression is irrelevant.

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 04:52 am
please, by all means, spam my threads, most of them die after a few posts, i'd love the page counts

while i don't condone stupid tags (unless they're mine, on my threads), who really cares what someone says about them, i've invited slander and defamation on many threads like this in the past, but i guess welcoming it doesn't make it attractive to folks
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 05:31 am
RexRed wrote:
I have use of FREE lawyers so I might as well make use of them

not that i think lawyers are worth much anyway, (i'd put them on the same level as kid touchers, but i wouldn't want to defame the kid touchers), but remember, you get what you pay for
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 07:33 am
@RexRed,
Hey Rex,

Graffiti tags like that suck. (Some other graffiti tags are amusing, I admit, but I've seen Robert say that he'd rather that nobody used graffiti tags at all, that actual content tags are much more useful).

You know that you have some options, right? Tags are not static. They don't just sit there permanently once they're there. You can add other, more-appropriate tags to crowd out the graffiti tags.
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 08:50 am
@RexRed,
Geez, you're pretty uptight for someone who is drugfucked.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 12:02 pm
@sozobe,
Sometimes Il start a thread and by the next morining itll be all tagged up. Most of the tags actually make sense and I guess the tags act as a key to show"Similar threads" that sometimes occur at a bottom of a page. I always thought that Jes, in her copious spare time, did all that elf work.

sozobe

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 12:08 pm
@farmerman,
So you never tag stuff? Not even your own?

I tag my own topics for sure, I tag other people's sometimes but not as often as I should. Mostly if it's a newbie who hasn't added their own tags yet, or if there is a graffiti tag that I want to help get rid of by crowding it out. I dunno how much Jes does but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a heckuva lot. I think osso does a bunch too.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 12:24 pm
@sozobe,
True. I started out heavily tagging when tagging was first happening, cooking threads, art, architecture, etc., and a lot of my own threads all the way back. Now I tag like you do, Soz, for the blank ones, and sometimes to make the primary tags more clear for future searches either by Search Forums window, or the Custom Google Search link up in the upper right corner.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 12:27 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
Graffiti tags like that suck. (Some other graffiti tags are amusing, I admit, but I've seen Robert say that he'd rather that nobody used graffiti tags at all, that actual content tags are much more useful).

They really do suck, they are inconsiderate to the whole community and not just to the target of one's affections. In order to have their graffiti have less impact on the community we've planned the following.

1) Tags are going to me made public. This will reduce the cowardly, anonymous insults posted through tags.
2) We are going to devalue the algorithmic weight of tags that are not semantically relevant to the topic.
3) We may block the persistent graffiti taggers manually (not ban, but block from having their tags be seen by anyone else).

That isn't coming soon but when it does I expect graffiti tagging to drop by over 90% going forward and almost as significantly retroactively.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 12:36 pm
@Robert Gentel,
That's wonderful news.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 12:38 pm
@RexRed,
RexRed wrote:

I wonder what a lawyer will say to A2K's anonymous bullying... We are "unable to know" who is defacing our character? Kind of negates the whole stated purpose of the forum.

I will keep this up until democracy and change prevail and common people are no longer bullied and insulted by a2k's hateful policies.

I hope you have some money set aside for a ******* legal battle.

If you are going to make legal threats against a2k, no matter how stupid they are, your access to a2k will be permanently removed.

I am not willing to provide you a free service only to have you pitch a fit about what others say to you on it and threaten me legally for providing you use of this free service.
Irishk

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 12:47 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
1) Tags are going to me made public.

Aren't they kind of public now? If you go to my profile, you can see my tags and if I go to your profile I can see yours. I'm confused...or maybe there's a privacy setting of which I'm not aware?
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 12:48 pm
@Irishk,
They are going to be made public on the topic page as well.

Right now only the users's aggregate tags are public and this affords a great deal of anonymity that is exploited to make cowardly insults.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 01:20 pm
Two or three times I recruited a few friends to help me override some graffiti tags.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 01:26 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I forgot to mention that additional weight will be given to the tags from the topic starter (so tag your topics well), as well as a possible change that might require at least one tag to post the topic.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 01:28 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

They are going to be made public on the topic page as well.

Right now only the users's aggregate tags are public and this affords a great deal of anonymity that is exploited to make cowardly insults.

If you don't want people to make graffiti tags, that's fine. I don't have a problem with setting up the site to work that way.

But the insults are hardly cowardly. I used to do them all the time, and I WISH people could see that it was me saying it. I never used them to say anything I wouldn't have said within the thread.

Cycloptichorn
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 01:31 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I don't think all graffiti tags are motivated by the anonymity, but it's pretty clear that some are because they come from people who are not willing (or for whatever reason don't) to post the same thing under their own name. For some cases just removing the anonymity will stop it.

But yes, there is a lot more than just that to motivate it, sometimes it's just because people think it's fun or clever and that's why the change in anonymity alone will likely not eliminate graffiti tagging. The real thing I think will make a difference is semantic analysis and algorithmic devaluation of tags that are not semantically relevant to the thread.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 01:34 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

I don't think all graffiti tags are motivated by the anonymity, but it's pretty clear that some are because they come from people who are not willing (or for whatever reason don't) to post the same thing under their own name. For some cases just removing the anonymity will stop it.

But yes, there is a lot more than just that to motivate it, sometimes it's just because people think it's a fun or clever and that's why the change in anonymity alone will likely not eliminate graffiti tagging. The real thing I think will make a difference is semantic analysis and algorithmic devaluation of tags that are not semantically relevant to the thread.

Exactly. I think it's important to point out that Graffiti is a long-standing human tradition - ancient Rome was covered with graffiti - and there's nothing wrong with it at all. The problem is when the graffiti screws something that is intended for a completely different purpose.

Covering a blank wall with graffiti? No big deal. Covering street signs with graffiti? Bigger deal.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 01:38 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
1) Tags are going to me made public. This will reduce the cowardly, anonymous insults posted through tags
I aupport that but, Iam here to say, it will kick me in the ass to start tagging the ridiculous threads that guys like gungasnake start. Like "Silly science" or "gungamythys".

I would be proud to have my handle go down in the pantheon as one who, with which, up, would not be put.