Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 01:41 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
1) Tags are going to me made public. This will reduce the cowardly, anonymous insults posted through tags
I aupport that but, Iam here to say, it will kick me in the ass to start tagging the ridiculous threads that guys like gungasnake start. Like "Silly science" or "gungamythys".

I would be proud to have my handle go down in the pantheon as one who, with which, up, would not be put.

Prepare to get bitched at about that, I certainly was for doing essentially the same thing.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 01:54 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

So you never tag stuff? Not even your own?

I tag my own topics for sure,

I never tag anything because I'm super lazy.

Wait, I take that back, I think I tagged something once, and got so overwrought I said "never again"

I don't think I read tags either.
djjd62

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 02:02 pm
@chai2,
i read tags, and tag my own topics, usually something stupid, but don't use them for anything, i still navigate with, my posts, new posts and my topics
JPB

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 02:06 pm
@djjd62,
That's how I navigate too. I sometimes tag my own threads (when I remember). I don't read tags either unless, like here, they're highlighted by someone else.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 02:14 pm
@farmerman,
Tags create forums and those aren't useful forums so they'd probably be devalued algorithmically when we use semantic analysis.

But I'm not all that interested in trying to change behavior in those adamantly opposed to it, I'd rather filter the noise out and keep the signal. I fully expect some to continue to generate a poor ratio of signal to noise in tags, it's up to us to find a way to use the best of the community's input and devalue the rest.

I only explain and appeal for useful tags to help people understand why they are being unhelpful to the community, I understand that this actually motivates some people to continue but it's thus far also motivated people to use tags more intelligently and contribute more to topic organization.

In Cyclo's analogy, tags are our street signs. Our tags need improvements overall but I'm not expecting this to happen exclusively on the basis of trying to shame others into being better a2k citizens.

If you put up a sign saying knife juggling is prohibited some will suddenly feel compelled to take it up as a hobby. Such is life.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 02:21 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Sometimes Il start a thread and by the next morining itll be all tagged up. Most of the tags actually make sense and I guess the tags act as a key to show"Similar threads" that sometimes occur at a bottom of a page. I always thought that Jes, in her copious spare time, did all that elf work.

Yeah, I'm usually the elf, and these pointy shoes are doin' nothin' for my fallen arches.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 02:25 pm
i wonder how old RR made out with Rumpole of the Bailey today
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 02:58 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

sozobe wrote:
Graffiti tags like that suck. (Some other graffiti tags are amusing, I admit, but I've seen Robert say that he'd rather that nobody used graffiti tags at all, that actual content tags are much more useful).

They really do suck, they are inconsiderate to the whole community and not just to the target of one's affections. In order to have their graffiti have less impact on the community we've planned the following.

1) Tags are going to me made public. This will reduce the cowardly, anonymous insults posted through tags.
2) We are going to devalue the algorithmic weight of tags that are not semantically relevant to the topic.
3) We may block the persistent graffiti taggers manually (not ban, but block from having their tags be seen by anyone else).

That isn't coming soon but when it does I expect graffiti tagging to drop by over 90% going forward and almost as significantly retroactively.

Thanks, RG that puts my mind at ease.

With that, also please allow us to delete our own threads and also delete posts in our threads that are just trolling. For instance when someone simply comes in and calls me an idiot (which has happened many times) without a single word regarding the actual content of the thread, I want to be able to delete it. Then I can email the poster and say be nice or you words will be removed... A2K is not "moderating" these threads one bit. I have requested to have one of my own threads taken down and a2k simply leaves it up and ignores my request. Though a2k REMOVED an entire thread that linked people to my music and artwork. Why? Ask a2k...

I don't want my readers subjected to such hate. It breaks the continuity of thought and progress.

I know moderating our own threads will be a challenge. For instance sometimes someone starts a reply with, you are an idiot, then they say something pertinent to the topic at hand.

Well, If they get enough threads deleted due to hurling superlatives before they get to the topic then they will learn to leave out future superlatives or... they can always start their own thread and hurl whatever and debate in their own space. If people care to read that then fine.

In this way you know who your enemies are yet you retain a "space" on a2k unimpeded by hit and run insults that have no basis in the actual conversation.

I have been hurt most here by this trolling and unfair moderation tactics. I have withstood these hateful attacks for many years since abuzz. When it is not me it is some other poor individual and it hurts me even more to think they are suffering under such hate and public ridicule.

I have problems with this forum that go way back. I tend to think that this forum would be much more diverse had these attacks been dealt with long ago.

More diversity means more knowledge. I blame Setana and Dys for driving off other posters one by one. I have first hand watched them MANY TIMES do it. Not, "welcome to a2k" but "******* so and so, idiot etc... Should they really be proud of their one liner insults as they racked up thousands of hateful posts? DRIVING OFF THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE ONE BY ONE... People I would like to have known.. It is always the same tactic. Insult them, break their train of thought, drive them away like a pack of well, err, dogs...

I tend to think the people they drove off we might all by this time have found some sort of social integration and unity. BUT NO, not with people like Set and Dys simply driving them off back into the shadows.

I can forgive but I can't forget. This hate has been so callused and uncaring that I have lost trust in the system and many of its players.

Anonymous attacks make you suspect everyone. As it stands a2k is a loveless place thanks to people lik Set and Dys and their unbridled, unchecked and anonymous attacks.

The only person who would leave such a hateful tag like drugfucked idiot is Setana... Odd how he is strangely missing from this discussion so far... Yes cowardly... he would not dare to say that to my face.

Believe me I have a slew of extremely hurtful choice tags for Set too... I am too noble a soul to stoop to such a level at this time. But don't push me, that is why these attacks have gone anonymous because Set knows my wrath and that I am not a pushover.

Set you are not going to drive me off and I will be here to see that you treat people with respect or face the same scrutiny you subject others to!~ Fair is fair huh? I will not leave my tags anonymously either, I will post them and stand by them with honesty and pride. Pride that I paved the way for others to express their opinions without fear of undue public disgrace, hype and flagrant intimidation. Is this what the FCC intended was to build a forum that divided people with suspicion and hate?

I liken this forum often to a bunch of juvenile kids who never grew up and are still leaving tacks on the teachers chair.

GROW UP and stop sucking the life out of people like vampires and ruthless blood hounds. Start loving people and improving the standards or get out of the business!
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 03:07 pm
@RexRed,
Quote:
I liken this forum often to a bunch of juvenile kids who never grew up and are still leaving tacks on the teachers chair.

GROW UP and stop sucking the life out of people like vampires and ruthless blood hounds. Start loving people and improving the standards or get out of the business!
Which begs the question.....if you think you are so much better than most of the rest of us, why are you here? Why dont you solve the problem yourself by finding a better class of people to hang out with?
djjd62

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 03:11 pm
@hawkeye10,
amen

i got no problem with RR, but i sure wouldn't hang around somewhere i felt didn't welcome or appreciate me

ok that's a lie, i'd definitely hang around a place like that
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 03:24 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
ok that's a lie, i'd definitely hang around a place like that
And Red has hung around,,,,he has 6.5 years and almost 10,000 posts. I dont know what is going in here, but I am sure that it has more to doing with him then with us. I am thinking it might be that he is confused about who he is, for instance when he cant figure out if he is a liberal or a conservative, thus being around the idealogical free for alls at A2K grates on him. Thing is, if he wants a more sedate environment he can easily find one.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 03:53 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

But the insults are hardly cowardly. I used to do them all the time, and I WISH people could see that it was me saying it. I never used them to say anything I wouldn't have said within the thread.

if I was around to post more, I suspect it might egg me on to say a few more sharply pointed things in threads if I couldn't use the tags the way I like to use them (which is admittedly an extremely mixed bag of approaches)

I'm definitely fine with the tags being fully public.

I wouldn't have known about the tags RR attracts if he hadn't started this thread. Gotta come around more, do more reading.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 03:54 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Which begs the question.....if you think you are so much better than most of the rest of us, why are you here? Why dont you solve the problem yourself by finding a better class of people to hang out with?

well asked
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 03:57 pm
@RexRed,
RexRed wrote:
I blame Setana and Dys for driving off other posters one by one.

They turned me into a newt!
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 03:57 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

RexRed wrote:
I blame Setana and Dys for driving off other posters one by one.

They turned me into a newt!

You don't look like a newt

<waits patiently>

Cycloptichorn
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 04:02 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I wouldn't have known about the tags RR attracts if he hadn't started this thread. Gotta come around more, do more reading

you can start here

http://able2know.org/user/rexred/topics/

I look at the first page of the list of his threads and I only find a handful of insult tags. The vast majority are clearly only intending to inform on the subject matter.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 04:04 pm
@RexRed,
Look on the bright side, Rex. If, for some reason, strange or otherwise, you wanted to find that particular thread, a novel tag like that would help you do just that.

Quote:
With that, also please allow us to delete our own threads and also delete posts in our threads that are just trolling. For instance when someone simply comes in and calls me an idiot (which has happened many times) without a single word regarding the actual content of the thread, I want to be able to delete it.

Deleting your own threads just wouldn't work, Rex. Those who have taken the time to reply shouldn't have to suffer the vagaries of scattered minds, present company not included or intended. You post publicly, wait a few seconds too long, it stays.

Regarding your second question, you can put a person on IGNORE, which will remove their responses from your sight. But that, to my mind, is for little chickenshits.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 04:09 pm
@RexRed,
Quote:

With that, also please allow us to delete our own threads and also delete posts in our threads that are just trolling. For instance when someone simply comes in and calls me an idiot (which has happened many times) without a single word regarding the actual content of the thread, I want to be able to delete it.

Just to throw my two cents in, I strongly oppose this and I suspect you will never have these capabilities. What you talk about is fundamentally against the structure of a discussion forum.

If this is what you want - a forum in which you control the level of discourse - start your own blog. Then you can keep anyone from saying whatever you like. Of course, it will be up to you to attract readership, and at the end of the day - that's the real problem, innit? You want to leverage the user base here but with a level of control that's not appropriate.

Instead of asking others to do work to change the structure of the forum, you ought to take some responsibility and do your OWN work if you want changes in your life.

Cycloptichorn
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 04:12 pm
@Cycloptichorn,

sounds like Rex would benefit from having a Group...

R(joefromchi got better)P
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 04:14 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

sounds like Rex would benefit from having a Group...

R(joefromchi got better)P

Sure, but the problem then is getting people to join Laughing

Thanks for completing the circle, now I can go on with life.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies