I just used tap water to boil eggs. Will I die?

ehBeth

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 05:16 pm
@spidergal,
spidergal wrote:

I do brush with tap water, but don't remember it ever getting into my system.

do you put the toothbrush in your mouth? it's in your system if you've done that
spidergal

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 11:18 pm
@ehBeth,
You're right. But I never drank that water.
Ceili

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 11:26 pm
@spidergal,
Imagine if you'd licked a raw piece of chicken.. same difference.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 11:28 pm
@spidergal,
Spidergal... well at least for now, you're still alive... unless you're a zombie who knows how to type and spell. http://i53.tinypic.com/f2lawz.jpg
spidergal

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 11:35 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yeah, I'm alive, Tsar. Whatever!

But I was worried in the first place because I keep reading reports about water supply being contaminated with 'chemicals' here in this country.
Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 05:30 am
@spidergal,
Would you normally have used bottled water?
gungasnake

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 05:44 am
@spidergal,
Yes (you will die); if not from old age, then probably from hypochondria...
spidergal

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 05:55 am
@Setanta,
Well, yes, I use bottled water to boil eggs, Set.
spidergal

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 06:01 am
@gungasnake,
Hypochondria does suck sometimes, but no one ever died from it.
Setanta

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 07:03 am
@spidergal,
Is that very expensive? I'm not trying to be difficult, but that would be fairly expensive here (Canadia).
spidergal

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 08:10 am
@Setanta,
That's inclusive of my rent, which is one of almost one-third of my salary. So yeah, expensive.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 10:09 am
@spidergal,
Quote:

I read somewhere that 1 in every 5 hypochondriacs spontaneously break out in song or is that combust. I keep getting those two mixed up.
spidergal

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 11:23 am
@tsarstepan,
Really? Doesn't happen with me. But I accepted long time ago I am a hypochondriac.

And I'm okay with that. I think it is good to be concerned about health. Maybe someday I'll strike a perfect balance and learn to not worry too much about the little things.

Right now, I need to go to bed. I need eight hours of sleep before the morning light that creeps in through the window wakes me up.
Irishk

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 11:28 am
@spidergal,
Have you thought about getting one of those water purity testers? They're fairly inexpensive. An interesting experiment might be to test your tap water as it is out of the tap...then boil it and retest to see the results.
sozobe

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 11:31 am
@spidergal,
spidergal wrote:

If you were a true hypochondriac, you'd worry more about dying from it. Wink
spidergal

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 11:39 am
@sozobe,
I don't think hypochondria could kill me, but I do think it exacerbates my symptoms. My dad keeps mentioning the psycho-somatic connection. You did read my knee thread, didn't you Sozobe? I found my pain was worst when I worried about the condition. On other days, when I had other things to think about, I would be hardly aware of the knee problem.

Maybe I'll die of cancer - without every having it. You can say 'sheesh' and pardon for a lame late night joke like that.
spidergal

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 11:44 am
@Irishk,
Hmm, interesting suggestion, IrishK. I'm going to find and out and see if any such water testers are available here. If they are, it would be a most helpful thing for a person like me.
sozobe

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 11:46 am
@spidergal,
Yep, I think that's very true.

The mind-body connection is very powerful.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 12:15 pm
@spidergal,
This is the one we have. Seems to work pretty well for our needs.

ETA: I'm performing the experiment I suggested to you on our water. I tested cold water out of the tap (304 ppm) and then boiled it for a few minutes. I'm waiting for it to cool -- I should let it cool, right? -- will report back.
Irishk

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2011 02:23 pm
@Irishk,
Yeah, so that's not actually a good test. After I experimented a couple times and got higher readings than the original, Mr.Irish explained it to me. Boiling doesn't eliminate dissolved solids/minerals, etc. - in fact, may even make the ppm reading higher due to evaporation, blah blah. So, did everyone figure this out except for me???Embarrassed

It is a useful device to test your filtration system, though.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_7iQLYVReguk/SpqwbfyHGCI/AAAAAAAABSI/W60HapA2iAU/s400/i-cant-brain-today-i-have-the-dumb.jpg
0 Replies