I just used tap water to boil eggs. Will I die?

BillRM

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 04:21 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
How effective is boiling against contaminants like antimony, arsenic, acrylamide, benzene, barium, beryllium, cadmium, cyanide, lead, mercury, nitrate, nitrite, selenium, thallium, etc.?

LOL no tap water anywhere is going to have such a high level of heavy metals that a few drops from boiling eggs is going to be harmful!!!!

Hell of if she bath in it she is at least getting that amount into her system at every bath.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 04:30 pm
@talk72000,
Oops.

Quote:
Iron will normally cause much harm

Should be 'Iron will NOT normally cause much harm'
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 05:08 pm
@spidergal,
If it were me, I'd ask someone local. With sufficeint boiling bacteria is killed off, and with the protection of the egg shell... well? But I don't know about issue like pollution of heavy metals. Perhaps a local person can advise?

Is this the first time you ever had cooked a boiled egg where you live?
Ragman

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 05:54 pm
http://mindyourdecisions.com/blog/2010/10/25/safe-drinking-water-in-india-what-would-you-do/
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 06:53 pm
@talk72000,
Rust is a source of dietary iron? Who knew?

Did you read infrablue's comments on boiling water?
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 07:54 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
What else would you use to boil the eggs in? is it normally liquid other than water?

Filtered or distilled water? Tab Soda? Milk from a Goliath bird-eating spider? Alien (xenomorph) acid-blood?
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 08:01 pm
@roger,
Probably not. I have drunk a lot of water that had the rust taste. I am the true IRON man. Mr. Green
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 08:07 pm
Iron's ok if you're a woman, not so great for men or dishes/glasses.

The water in India just about killed me. I've never been so ill. However, it wasn't boiled, it was added to a soup that wasn't properly cooked and I was infected with a very bad parasite. My Indian friends tell me they almost always get sick when they go home for a visit. People who live there are immune, for the most part. I think you'll be fine.
roger

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 08:29 pm
@Ceili,
D'nno. We haven't heard from Spidy in about eight hours. Maybe it's time to start worrying.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 01:58 am
@Ceili,
Quote:
The water in India just about killed me. I've never been so ill. However, it wasn't boiled, it was added to a soup that wasn't properly cooked and I was infected with a very bad parasite. My Indian friends tell me they almost always get sick when they go home for a visit. People who live there are immune, for the most part. I think you'll be fine.

Had the same (very nasty parasitic infection) experience as a result of an Indonesian experience, Ceili.
Which really annoyed me, because it was hardly my first trip to Bali & Java & I'd always religiously followed all the recommended water usage advice.
I think it was a salad which did me in.
Lettuce, etc, washed in local water, I'd guess.
Our last night in Bali & I was probably feeling a bit complacent while dining out at a very trusted eatery.
I have never been so ill in my life. Touching wood I never have an experience like that again!

As for spider & her boiled eggs...
I would have thought that there wouldn't be a problem because the eggs were cooked in boiling water?

0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 05:01 am
Yes , you will die Luke Skywalker......but first, I, the Great Chicken God, curse you to spend an eternity scratching for worms and laying unfertilised eggs !!

Waaaahhahahahahahaha !!
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 09:11 am
@Linkat,
I boiled the eggs for around seven minutes, I think.

I'm alive and kickin', but still a little worried.
Ragman

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 09:13 am
@spidergal,
My question again to you is have you never prepared an boiled egg this way before?
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 09:16 am
@chai2,
I do brush with tap water, but don't remember it ever getting into my system.
spidergal

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2011 09:21 am
@Ragman,
No, I boil eggs all the time. But I always use drinking water for the purpose. I don't think anyone who lives here has an idea about the quality of tap water, but I'm going to try and find out what I can.
chaz wyman

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 11:01 am
@spidergal,

You have but a short time to live.

Why risk that by failing to find pure mountain water to eat and drink?
Do you have any rashes?
0 Replies

sansam

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 02:19 pm
@spidergal,
no not at all but here after u plz try to stop doing this dude.......
roger

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 04:30 pm
@sansam,
Well yeah, but I'm pretty sure you intended your astute answer as a reply to a completely different thread.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 04:35 pm
from now on just break two eggs into a tumbler of tequila, whisk thoroughly and enjoy.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 05:14 pm
@spidergal,
Well it looks like the danger period has been & gone, spider.
I'm delighted to see that you are still with us! Smile
0 Replies