The end of men

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 08:58 am
Apologies if this discussion has already come up here. I haven't been around in a while. I read this article in the print magazine at least a month ago and found it interesting despite the inflammatory title. In case it isn't obvious, I don't want to see "the end of men". So I think there are many interesting ideas brought up by Hanna Rosin in this piece. What do you think?

The End of Men

Exerpt:
Quote:
Man has been the dominant sex since, well, the dawn of mankind. But for the first time in human history, that is changing—and with shocking speed. Cultural and economic changes always reinforce each other. And the global economy is evolving in a way that is eroding the historical preference for male children, worldwide. Over several centuries, South Korea, for instance, constructed one of the most rigid patriarchal societies in the world. Many wives who failed to produce male heirs were abused and treated as domestic servants; some families prayed to spirits to kill off girl children. Then, in the 1970s and ’80s, the government embraced an industrial revolution and encouraged women to enter the labor force. Women moved to the city and went to college. They advanced rapidly, from industrial jobs to clerical jobs to professional work. The traditional order began to crumble soon after. In 1990, the country’s laws were revised so that women could keep custody of their children after a divorce and inherit property. In 2005, the court ruled that women could register children under their own names. As recently as 1985, about half of all women in a national survey said they “must have a son.” That percentage fell slowly until 1991 and then plummeted to just over 15 percent by 2003. Male preference in South Korea “is over,” says Monica Das Gupta, a demographer and Asia expert at the World Bank. “It happened so fast. It’s hard to believe it, but it is.” The same shift is now beginning in other rapidly industrializing countries such as India and China.

Up to a point, the reasons behind this shift are obvious. As thinking and communicating have come to eclipse physical strength and stamina as the keys to economic success, those societies that take advantage of the talents of all their adults, not just half of them, have pulled away from the rest. And because geopolitics and global culture are, ultimately, Darwinian, other societies either follow suit or end up marginalized. In 2006, the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development devised the Gender, Institutions and Development Database, which measures the economic and political power of women in 162 countries. With few exceptions, the greater the power of women, the greater the country’s economic success. Aid agencies have started to recognize this relationship and have pushed to institute political quotas in about 100 countries, essentially forcing women into power in an effort to improve those countries’ fortunes. In some war-torn states, women are stepping in as a sort of maternal rescue team. Liberia’s president, Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, portrayed her country as a sick child in need of her care during her campaign five years ago. Postgenocide Rwanda elected to heal itself by becoming the first country with a majority of women in parliament.

engineer

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 09:02 am
@FreeDuck,
There was a very animated discussion here: http://able2know.org/topic/159043-1
FreeDuck

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 09:08 am
@engineer,
Thanky, engineer. And good to see you.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 09:22 am
@engineer,
Ack. Ok, I couldn't read through all of that without getting frustrated. Anybody mind a new discussion? The angles/ideas I find most interesting:

1) The shift away from manual labor, where men always had a natural advantage.

2) Schooling methods being more geared toward typically feminine learning styles (sit still, fill in the blanks, listen and follow instructions, etc...) . Where's boomerang?

3) The psychological effects of the current recession on men who may not be in a position to adapt. This one bothers me.

4) Could our perpetual warring be having an effect on the education levels of our young men?
sozobe

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 09:41 am
@FreeDuck,
Hello hello!

Yeah, I didn't have much (anything?) to do with that discussion, either. New one sounds good.

I thought of boomerang with #2, too.

I need to read the original article more thoroughly (have only skimmed), but interested in this. Will be back after reading.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 10:17 am
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:
Exerpt:
Quote:
Man has been the dominant sex
Is Man the name of a sex?

I thawt it was the English name of the species ` ` homo sapiens.

David
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 10:26 am
I don't believe men have been the dominent gender since the dawn of mankind.

There have been times in history women have played an important role, where inheritance and the name has been passed down through women.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrilineality
FreeDuck

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 10:40 am
@chai2,
Yeah, and there are certainly regional differences in who has been dominant, as well. I took this article to be constrained by US borders.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 11:20 am
@chai2,
chai, So true! Unless we understand the background of the multitude of cultures early in homo sapiens and continued on into contemporary history, and the evolution that took place between the sexes, any attempt at discussing this topic would be very limiting.

In many instances, appearances can be deceiving. For example, is controlling the purse strings an issue of power?

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 06:15 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
I don't believe men have been the dominent gender since the dawn of mankind.

There have been times in history women have played an important role ...

I agree with you, chai, but unfortunately we know little about this, as the number women historians have pretty thin on the ground, "since the dawn of mankind".... Wink

Very good to see you here again, Free Duck! Smile

0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 06:22 pm
@FreeDuck,
Back for good? Hope so.

Another idea: Men like women. Men that are responsible for hiring tend to hire women. Women eventually get promoted to positions where they do the hiring.

Women often prefer to work with other women. Those women also get promoted.

Women are much better at dealing with the public than men.

0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 07:11 pm
"Women often prefer to work with other women."

WRONG!!
roger

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 07:18 pm
@PUNKEY,
Now, don't you worry your pretty little head about it.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 07:19 pm
Anyway the Y Chromosome is getting shorter maybe because of polygamy in certain societies where the men have several wives thus the variety of male genes are narrowing. The Y Chromosome may in time completely disappear thus the end of men.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 08:10 pm
Didn't mean to be rude -- hello my old friends. I don't know if I'm back for good but I'm back for now, and it's good to see your... whatever those are ... good to see you.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 08:18 pm
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck, Been away for awhile meself, but welcome back anywhos.
FreeDuck

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 08:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Thanky, ci. Welcome back yourself.
Thomas

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 09:14 pm
I'm concerned where this is all headed. Will they let women program computers next?
Eva

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 09:23 pm
We're already working on it, Thomas.

But never fear. We won't get rid of men. We'll always need someone to kill the bugs.
Thomas

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 09:48 pm
@Eva,
well, that's a relief.
0 Replies