JTT

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 11:32 am
@Sglass,
Quote:
it's the first drink that gets you drunk

In a very very limited sense, Sglass.
Sglass

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 11:55 am
I like Sister Theresa's thoughts about AA.

"If you are humble, nothing can touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know you are".
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 11:58 am
@JTT,
Aw come on JTT - I'll put it another way.

"If you don't pick up that first drink you won't get drunk and that's the truth".
chai2

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 12:06 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

I can't understand and at the same time I can understand why Sglass would be so, what's the word, angry, vehement, ... I'm not quite sure.

I can explain JTT.

It's really very simple, if you compare the relationships that are developed in AA, or any type of group, with the dynamics that go on in a dysfunctional family. I'll preface this with saying all families are dysfunctional to some degree or another. There's no such thing as a perfect relationship.

Let's say you have a large family, and some, but not all of the members are being abused in some way. Some of the abusers are in implied positions of power, i.e. the big sister, or cousin that stays with the immediate family, either permanently, or just on summer vacations. Some of these abusers are not abused themselves, some are abused as well. Some neither are abused, or abuse anyone, but see the abuse going on.
If everyone accepts this as the way the family should function, it looks on the surface like smooth sailing. This appearance must be sustained at all costs, to ensure the survival of the unit.

If one person within the family states to the others either, "I'm being abused" or "I see others being abused" They of course become the problem. If they choose to remain with the family, but continue to make their voice heard, they will continue to be seen as the problem.

If they leave the family, and tell others what has been going on, of course it will be denied by the family. The very thing the family most fears will be projected on the member who left, or anyone else, who although not part of the family, can see what's going on.

Hence, drewdad makes a comment against AA, he is accussed of drinking.
Someone who has seen and experienced what goes on is simply told they obviously didn't get anything out of the experience.

I don't know if you're familiar with AA JTT, but what sglass said to you "the first drink gets you drunk" is just one of the many, many, many cliches and catch phrases that are repeated ad nauseum. Sometimes they can be helpful. Just like when I can't remember which way to turn a handle or open a jar, I'll say "lefty loosey, righty tighty" to myslef.
However, saying that to myself, or having someone else say it to me, when the problem is not a pickle jar, but instead trying to work on what's wrong with your internet server, lefty loosey, righty tighty doesn't really help.....but.....you're supposed to pretend it does.
Chumly

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 12:20 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
...Think about it.
Yes, yes, doctors, lawyers, housewives and computer programs become alcoholics, and choose to go to AA.
Problem is, rapists, pedophiles, thieves, con artists, violent people and so on become alcoholics too. Guess who ends up sitting next to you?...
I have thought long and hard about it and this must explain why my laptop crashes plus it's sitting right next to me!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 12:32 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Oh God yes. I once made a statement on Abuzz supporting someone who thought punishments for first time DWI were excessive. Someone accused me of being a drunk driver, for having made the statement! I said I seldom drink, and never drive drunk. That was supposed to have proved his point. I was in denial, which was typical of drunks, therefore, I was a drunk.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 12:46 pm
@roger,
chai2 wrote:

roger wrote:
Oh God yes. I once made a statement on Abuzz supporting someone who thought punishments for first time DWI were excessive. Someone accused me of being a drunk driver, for having made the statement! I said I seldom drink, and never drive drunk. That was supposed to have proved his point. I was in denial, which was typical of drunks,
therefore, I was a drunk.
MIND-BLOWING!

David
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 12:49 pm
@chai2,
Fortunately, the 12 steps and the Big Book are the tool box for sobriety and additional program rhetoric is cliche so those with a GED or a PHD can understand whats going on until they clear up .

Angry, vehement? Naw. Amused, must be my West Texas **** kicker attitude.

Matter of fact, when I REALLY want a laugh I go back and read those steamy pms that you used to send my husband when you were in 13-stepping mode.

M
JTT

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 12:52 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
I can explain JTT.

You surely did and I appreciate it. Methinks that people who do this particular aspect of what you described;

Quote:
This appearance must be sustained at all costs, to ensure the survival of the unit.

If one person within the family states to the others either, "I'm being abused" or "I see others being abused" They of course become the problem. If they choose to remain with the family, but continue to make their voice heard, they will continue to be seen as the problem.

If they leave the family, and tell others what has been going on, of course it will be denied by the family. The very thing the family most fears will be projected on the member who left, or anyone else, who although not part of the family, can see what's going on.

Someone who has seen and experienced what goes on is simply told they obviously didn't get anything out of the experience.

are simply replacing one addiction with another. Having said that, I heartily concur with their doing so if it keeps that individual sober, productive and personally happy or at least happier and I hope it makes them a better person.

If it's a true insult to accuse someone of drinking, [I can't see it or feel it personally] then a person who engages in that behavior has broken one of the 12 rules, if I'm not mistaken and like Earl, they must add it to their list.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 12:54 pm
@Sglass,
Quote:
Aw come on JTT - I'll put it another way.

"If you don't pick up that first drink you won't get drunk and that's the truth".

Again, in a very very limited sense, Sglass. It doesn't apply to me, ['me' chosen only because I can attest to the veracity] nor does it apply to countless others. No doubt, it does apply to some, a pretty large some.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 12:57 pm
@Sglass,
Whoa, remember your pledge. [said with a great great great, the greatest measure of kindness]
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 01:00 pm
@Sglass,
Sglass wrote:

Matter of fact, when I REALLY want a laugh I go back and read those steamy pms that you used to send my husband when you were in 13-stepping mode.

Excuse me, I feel that is totally uncalled for, as well as a blatant lie.
I have never sent a PM to your husband.
In fact, I have never sent a steamy PM to anyone here, or anyone on the internet, or through an email.

Is this supposed to make me want to start an argument with you sglass?

If you want to be a civilized part of this thread, why don't you address the question failures art put out to you?

I'm not sure if you realize it, but you are making my case quite well.

Please, continue.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 01:04 pm
@chai2,
She's simply trolling. Nobody believes her fantasies. (Well... maybe she believes them. On the Internet, nobody knows your psychiatric history.)
chai2

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 01:08 pm
@DrewDad,
Well yeah, I know she's trolling, and no one believes her.

however, if this is where sobriety through AA has gotten someone, well, I'll say no more on the matter.

JTT

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 01:18 pm
@chai2,
Let's please stop with this 'trolling' nonsense. It makes people look positively Occom Billian.

I believed it was a possibility, Chai, until you denied it. Now I just have to let this tumble over and over in my mind until I get no sleep at all trying to determine who is the guilty one. Smile
Sglass

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 01:24 pm
@chai2,
Fortunately, the 12 steps and the Big Book are the tool box for sobriety and additional program rhetoric is cliche so those with a GED or a PHD can understand whats going on until they clear up .

Angry, vehement? Naw. Amused, must be my West Texas **** kicker attitude.

How long have you been clean and sober? What you have to say here is so articulate, but are you walking your talk or just running your mouth.

chai2

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 01:26 pm
@Sglass,
Sglass wrote:

How long have you been clean and sober?

Since you have asked a valid question, I'd be happy to respond.

July 21, 1987.
JTT

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 01:29 pm
@Sglass,
Quote:
those steamy pms that you used to send my husband when you were in 13-stepping mode.

Can you provide one of those pms, Sglass, or could you have your husband verify that he received the pms in question?
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 01:31 pm
How long have you been clean and sober Chai?

You are nothing but a drama queen.
JTT

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 01:32 pm
@Sglass,
I'm gonna go watch the Young and the Restless.