Next up... Terminator: Salvation, May 21 2009

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 08:25 am
The next big Sci-Fi up for 2009 (now that Star Trek 09 is out) is Terminator: Salvation.

What do you think, will they nail it, or blow it?

Wolverine was first, but I thought it was boring. I give it a 6.5 on the IMDB scale. I liked Trek a lot but the basic story was a bit weak, so I give it a 7.5 even though the character intro aspect of the show was excellent.

I'm hoping Terminator: Salvation (TS) has some real intelligence buried under all the special effects. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can give it at least an 8.0, but we'll see.

Intelligent Motorcycles, Giant Robots, Swimming Cyborgs, Machines that don't know they are machines, big explosions...

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 12,469 • Replies: 178
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 11:53 am
@rosborne979,
I heard on several news and talk shows and online that Christian Bale asked for a script rewrite in order to come on board the project. I guess he didn't ask for any lighting changes, however.

I plan on going this week to see Star Trek at IMAX. This has been discussed before but those behind TS do not have the best credentials.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 11:57 am
@rosborne979,
I like the music, at least....
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 01:23 pm
@rosborne979,
I think the trailer looks pretty promising. It looks like the movie will not simply deal with nifty concepts like time travel (as per the previous movies) but also pose some interesting questions about humans and non-humans, sort of like Bladerunner.
Lightwizard

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 02:12 pm
The newest theatrical trailer is here:

http://terminatorsalvation.warnerbros.com/

If you click on the preferences on the lower right side of the screen, you can download a 720p or 1080p version which will, of course, look and sound really great. If it opens on the first page, you'll get a trailer like it's being shown on a dirty screen -- clever, but gives one a mistaken impression. Click on Menu and Video for the trailer choices.

I like the trailer better than what little they gave us before so maybe there's something to look forward to. One is never sure if the music is the actual score on trailers but borrowed from some older films.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 03:26 pm
@Shapeless,
Shapeless wrote:
I think the trailer looks pretty promising. It looks like the movie will not simply deal with nifty concepts like time travel (as per the previous movies) but also pose some interesting questions about humans and non-humans, sort of like Bladerunner.

I was thinking the same thing. They appear to have a terminator who thinks he's human. That's something we haven't seen before in these shows.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 03:30 pm
Watching the second trailer, one of the actresses looks remarkably like the Australian chick from Sarah Conner Chronicals. Looks like the actress is actually Moon Bloodguard.

Also, Anton Yelchin plays Kyle Reese, and also plays Chekov in the new Star Trek movie.

Finally, Michael Ironside is in Terminator Salvation, which does not fill me with confidence.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 06:24 pm
@rosborne979,
Don't have anything to add to the conversation here, except that I have intentions of seeing the movie.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 09:15 am
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:
Don't have anything to add to the conversation here, except that I have intentions of seeing the movie.

That's ok, I just wanted to get the thread started. Let us know what you think after next week. Smile

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 11:10 am
@rosborne979,
Somethin' happened to my post. I viewed the 720p version of the downloaded trailer and the picture is outstanding -- the sounds good, too. It gave a few more hints about the story.

I don't read where this one is going -- either a triumph for mankind over the machines with a "this is the end of the beginning" climax that rehashes Vonnegut's "Player Piano," where mankind simply can't do without technology and machines even if it there's always going to be danger. That would still leave room for a sequel, of course. They could also leave a completely open end that mankind still hasn't conquered the machines and John Conners will just have to work harder in the next movie.
Reyn

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 02:35 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Reyn wrote:

That's ok, I just wanted to get the thread started. Let us know what you think after next week. Smile

I'm still ticked as heck that the Sarah Connor series got cancelled! Mad Mad Mad
rosborne979

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 02:49 pm
@Lightwizard,
Lightwizard wrote:
I don't read where this one is going -- either a triumph for mankind over the machines with a "this is the end of the beginning" climax that rehashes Vonnegut's "Player Piano," where mankind simply can't do without technology and machines even if it there's always going to be danger.

I anticipate they will win the battle, but not the war. I don't think even Hollywood can put the cyborg back in the bottle now that it's out.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 02:50 pm
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:
I'm still ticked as heck that the Sarah Connor series got cancelled! Mad Mad Mad

Me too. I'm hoping they resurrect it. LW says there is hope Smile
Shapeless

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 07:37 pm
Does the Terminator trailer look like it presupposes knowledge of the Sarah Connor Chronicles? I've never seen a single episode so I wouldn't know.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 07:50 pm
@Shapeless,
Shapeless wrote:
Does the Terminator trailer look like it presupposes knowledge of the Sarah Connor Chronicles? I've never seen a single episode so I wouldn't know.

No, I don't see anything in the movie trailers which seems to reference The Sarah Connor Chronicles. I wouldn't be too surprised if the movie contains a few hidden references, but I doubt they will be integral to the plot. More likely just little tidbits for SCC fans to enjoy.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 08:18 pm
@rosborne979,
Well, no, Entertainment Weekly says there is hope from their poll.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 04:42 pm
just got a tweet from one of the producers of the opie and anthony show

"Saw Terminator Salvation today. Wolverine was better"

and he didn't particularly like wolverine, interesting

rosborne979

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 06:38 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
"Saw Terminator Salvation today. Wolverine was better"

That would be bad, because I didn't like Wolverine.

Might have to start looking forward to Transformers II Smile

Or maybe this...

djjd62

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 06:46 pm
@rosborne979,
first ran across that district 9 trailer about a week ago, i'm digging it, i'm guessing it's an allegory about the apartheid era
rosborne979

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 06:56 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
first ran across that district 9 trailer about a week ago, i'm digging it, i'm guessing it's an allegory about the apartheid era

I hope not. I don't really need to be lectured by my sci-fi entertainment. But I fear you're probably right.